Thread: 6.8mmRemSPC "AK"

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)

Default 6.8mmRemSPC "AK"

Just for fun ....................
    Anyone thought of building a 7.62 type AK chambered in the Special Ops guys 6.8mmRemingtonSPC? The SOCOM guys seem to like it (the SPC "special purpose cartridge") better than the .223 in the Afghan. The 6.8mm has better ballistics than the 122 gr 7.62x39 & 55 gr .223. The 6.8mm bullet is .277" (actually the older .270 Win caliber). Looks like a barrel could be re-made from Mauser to AK dims. Factory 115 gr ammo & empty brass boxer cases are available from Rem, Hornady & Silver State, but is costly & requires trimming the bullet tips a bit to fit into 7.62 mags. The 6.8 cases are a bit longer than the 7.62x39 cases. Cartridge case head dia's are similar to the 7.62x39. Handloads using 85 gr Barnes or Sierra 110 gr bullets seated a little deeper into the 6.8mm cases would eliminate the need to trim bullet noses.

New 6 gr button rifles bbls in .270 Win are available from Brownell's for $83. Chamber reamers in 6.8mmRemSPC type II are available from Midway for $116. Plenty of .270 Win bullet types are available. 6.8mm reloading die sets are available from RCBS. We're talkin reloadable boxer non-corrosive stuff ...not a real need to worry about chrome lined bbls. Sort of a "wildcat", AK. Now for a real good lathe jockey .......

The Brownell's barrels are also available in 6.5x55 (.264") & the 6.8 cases could be easily necked down to take .264 bullets. Pacific Gauge & Tool can provide reamers --even pull-through types ...wow! a 6.5x6.8RemSPC wildcat AK ...........hmmmmm .......wonder how much it would all cost?

But then it really wouldn't be a AK if it wasn't a 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 or .223 ...or would it?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Its been done. I started one 4 years ago but never finished it and built a 308 instead on the reciver. I still have a remington stainless 6.8 barrel for a build. the grendal is a better way to go if you want to keep the AR length mag well but why your not resricted to it like a AR?? better IMOO to jus t build a 260 remington or 7mm-08 or 243 and load a little light. There is a 6.8spc II now with a slower twist that allows hotter loads so it will almost do what Remington lied about before they virtualy abandoned the round. If your going to hand load jusgt build a 7mm-08 or 260 ammo would be cheaper if formed from 7.62x51 brass and it would blow he doors off the AR intended 6.8 spc.

It a good round but ammo is pricey. I still have the barrel and you see them on gun Broker from time to time. or simply rechamber a 270 barrel. You see Take offs on GB all the time for around $35 or so all the time. I say go for it. a ar mag addapter and a AK 74 bolt make it pretty easy to do just butthe correct ar mag then a 223 AK mag can be made to work or a 5.45 mag. I think a ak 74 bolt was the right size I forget right now. I was going to open up a bulgy 223 bolt at the time because it had a spring loaded pin.

PERSONALY I WOULD JUST BUILD A 6.5 GRENDAL AS IT SEEMS TO BE A BETTER ROUND.

do a search there are several threads here on doing one.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Mine has been assembled and disassembled, I have yet to settle on the final configuration. Using a mini 14 barrel i turned down.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)

Finished the 6.8 SPC AK. Like it! Shoots very well @50 yds -300 yds with 17" bbl & 100 gr handloads @ near max pressure ...shows no signs of over-pressure. Sharp crack report ...distinctive from std 7.62 AK's. Reworked 7.62 bolt face for smaller dia. 6.8 case. Feeds good with PRO-Mag clip. Import mags are too short for the round. Can't tell it from a std AK ...except for longer bbl. Will have to re-identify receiver from 5.45 to 6.8 SPC.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

cool post some pics. So the mags work as is???

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Ditto !! Need pics, and mag info!!! Good job Flak!!
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

The .264" bullets are usually longer than the .277" bullets. The 6.8 mm seems like a good choice. What caliber magazines are you using?

Feedback Score

Just some inspiration for y'all

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

What the hell is it?!?!?! Chinese kinda copy of a SIG 551 or 556?
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Combination of alot of design elements, posted to give you guys inspiration for using those orphaned spare parts y'all got.

QBZ-03: China’s latest assault rifle | The Firearm Blog

Dremelin' music.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.