Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: using a mauser barrell for a poormans m76

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

For mags you could look for MG13 mags, they are 8mm and are 20 or 25 rounders, I've seen them on GB ranging from $15-25 each. You'd have to mod them or mod the mag well to them, but it's one more mag option that's not too expensive.

Here's a pair for $50
    (2 RARE) MG-13/MG13 8mm 25rd Magazines/Mags : Magazines / Clips at GunBroker.com
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Thanks Coils!
    They dont look like they would be too hard to modify,they have the ak style tab so maybee a little welding here and file there would make them fit
    Alot cheaper for the pair than just one 76 mag-ive seen 76 mags go for $50
    I allways love how they put "RARE" in there ads!
    Last edited by zteknik; 08-07-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    Keep the change-I just want my Country back!!!

Feedback Score

Hello Z,
    The large ring Mauser barrel measures 1.100 inch or 28mm diameter for the 12 TPI threads. The nominal external 12 TPI thread is 0.0500 inch deep. Times 2 gives root diameter of 1.00 inch ie 24.5mm.

"If" your trunion measures the typical AK 23mm bore perhaps you could single-point thread that trunion 12 TPI for a screw-in Mauser barrel !!! A carbide internal threading bit would be preferred.

The large ring Mauser barrel would be installed and headspaced before all else to avoid the timing issues.

VD
    Last edited by Viper Dude; 08-07-2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typos...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

You would need to also add threads to the barrel for a screw in barrel build the existing treads on a mauser are not long enough. Guys have taped the trunions with a tap. Willies 500 S&W build for example. I started on a switch barrel build but have stoped as i have way to many projects.

I would avoid welding on the bolt its not worth the risk IMOO. a blow back pistol round is one thing but putting 50,000 plus pressure on some lughs that have been heated up is not for me. I wont take the risk.

BTW a 7/8-14 heli coil tap is almost perfect for a 23mm trunion. not sure if its hard enough to cut however. I have one and was thinking of trying it on a Rmyy truninon and then cutting threads to match on the barrel.

on my screw in barrel build Im going with a 15/16'- 14 or 16 thread and simply boring the trunion to size. I have already broed a few trunios and they cut pretty easy.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Thanks V and Biggun
    I allways learn somthing from your input-true pros!!
    Would the threaded portion on the mauser barrell be long enough to add threads?Or would i have to turn it down a bit?
    I know i would have to make an extractor cut on the face of the breech,but would that shorten the chamber?

Yea Gunns I'm not to fond of the idea of welding on a bolt thats gonna see some pressures-mind you I'm not gonna be pumping out hotloads
    I was talking with jreifsch80 and he was describing how you can mill out the bolt of a regular 7.62x39 to fit the 8mm ,so to me that seems more safe than welding,and I have a bunch of xtras

Thanks for all the great input guys-I still have a bunch of homework to do before I start my parts gathering(plus I have to put some coin aside )

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have almost all of this stuff in a box.I'll have to try and get some pics.
    Mauser barrel profiled for 23mm and PSL/RPK fittings
    PSL carrier /bolt
    Saiga 308 bolt
    Marsh Hawk blank?
    MG13 mags
    M76 mags
    Started out to make basically an 8mm PSL but I keep wavering between that and
    Hoss Cartwright's AK
    It's only metal, it's not magic.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

same here I had all the parts and almost kind of get busy never finish it, I had all the part,

Coldsteel ex long rec
    mauser trun to fit the m70 trunnion
    M76, bolt/carrier, dust cover . gas tube
    Fal Gas block, so can be adjust
    MG13 Mags

I stop at mag well open and front barrel fitting, just can get rest of holes drill, maybe I need help

卡拉希尼可夫突擊步槍

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Mauser barrel is what I used for my dad's 6.5x55 conversion. It works great! One thing you will probably need to do is make a sleeve for the front sight to fit on, and of course you will thread the sleeve I'm sure.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f244/6-5x55-46802/

Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Would the threaded portion on the mauser barrell be long enough to add threads?Or would i have to turn it down a bit?
    IT WILL NEED TO BE TURNED DOWN TO HAVE THREADS ADDED. I HAVE A BARREL OR TWO HERE IF YOU NEED SOME SPECS. IT WOULD BE SIMPLER TO JUST HAVE IT TURNED FOR A PRESS IN BARREL SET UP. I MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP WITH SOME OF THE BARREL WORK.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have almost all of this stuff in a box.I'll have to try and get some pics.
    Mauser barrel profiled for 23mm and PSL/RPK fittings
    PSL carrier /bolt
    Saiga 308 bolt
    Marsh Hawk blank?
    MG13 mags
    M76 mags
    Started out to make basically an 8mm PSL but I keep wavering between that and
    Hoss Cartwright's AK

THAT 308 BOLT WILL NOT WORK WITH A STANDARD TRUNION WITH OUT SOME MODS. THE LUGS ARE TO WIDE. I GOT TO ASK WERE DID YOU GET A SPARE?? I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR SEVERAL YEARS FOR A EXTRA 308 SAIGA BOLT. IF YOU WANT TO SELL IT EVER KEEP ME IN MIND. I REALLY WANT ONE FOR MY 6MM-284 LONG RANGE BUILD.

I was talking with jreifsch80 and he was describing how you can mill out the bolt of a regular 7.62x39 to fit the 8mm ,so to me that seems more safe than welding,and I have a bunch of xtras
    YOU CAN DO THAT ON A LATHE WITH A CUTTER OR WITH A END MILL IN A LATHE OR A MILL OR EVEN A DRILL PRESS. I HAVE DONE IT BOTH WAYS. CANT REMEMABER WHAT SIZE END MILL I USED. ITS A EASY MOD EITHER WAY.

THE ADVANTAGE OF USING A X54R BOLT IS THE LONGER BOLT STEM. THIS ALLOWS YOU TO MOVE THE TRIGGER GROUP BACK WITH LESS HASSELS TO CLEAR THE MUCH LONGER MAG WELL AND KEEP THE HAMMER HITTING SQUARE.

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT PICKING UP A 7.62X54r KIT FOR A 6.5MM X 54r WILDCAT BUT THERE ARE TO MANY IRONS IN THE FIRE

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    IT WILL NEED TO BE TURNED DOWN TO HAVE THREADS ADDED. I HAVE A BARREL OR TWO HERE IF YOU NEED SOME SPECS. IT WOULD BE SIMPLER TO JUST HAVE IT TURNED FOR A PRESS IN BARREL SET UP. I MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP WITH SOME OF THE BARREL WORK.

THAT 308 BOLT WILL NOT WORK WITH A STANDARD TRUNION WITH OUT SOME MODS. THE LUGS ARE TO WIDE. I GOT TO ASK WERE DID YOU GET A SPARE?? I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR SEVERAL YEARS FOR A EXTRA 308 SAIGA BOLT. IF YOU WANT TO SELL IT EVER KEEP ME IN MIND. I REALLY WANT ONE FOR MY 6MM-284 LONG RANGE BUILD.

YOU CAN DO THAT ON A LATHE WITH A CUTTER OR WITH A END MILL IN A LATHE OR A MILL OR EVEN A DRILL PRESS. I HAVE DONE IT BOTH WAYS. CANT REMEMABER WHAT SIZE END MILL I USED. ITS A EASY MOD EITHER WAY.

THE ADVANTAGE OF USING A X54R BOLT IS THE LONGER BOLT STEM. THIS ALLOWS YOU TO MOVE THE TRIGGER GROUP BACK WITH LESS HASSELS TO CLEAR THE MUCH LONGER MAG WELL AND KEEP THE HAMMER HITTING SQUARE.

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT PICKING UP A 7.62X54r KIT FOR A 6.5MM X 54r WILDCAT BUT THERE ARE TO MANY IRONS IN THE FIRE
    Thanks Gunn!I will definitly keep you in mind for the barrel
    I'll be kicking around ideas for a bit before I finalize what I'm going to do
    My budget will dictate most of what I can do-allthough some things I just wont skimp on-with 8mm pressures I want to be able to have something reliable and not have to re tinker with it every couple of months or so

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.