Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: M72 in .308?

Feedback Score

That was actually going to be my next question. Use the .311 bullet in the .308 case. A friend of mine loads .308 by the truck full, I'll ask him to make me up a few hundred.

As far as pressure, the heavy M72 barrel should be strong enough I think. My old G3 had less meat at the chamber and did it all day long.

On the other hand the Romanian RPK I have has a chamber diameter of .905 and the Green Mountain M76 barrel has a OD of .907. That is good bite and add a barrel pin it should be great. RPK furniture on that with a PSL receiver might be nifty.

But back to the Yugo M72, I believe I will go the route of the .308 with the .311 projectiles.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Also, consider that the 7.62x54r pressure in military-issued cartridges was NOT low and was in fact as high or higher than the 30-06 (see 7.62x54r Ammunition Evaluations for a large number of chronographed velocities of milsurp 7.62x54r) and that the PSL handles the cartridge with ease, being basically an AK with a long receiver.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

That was actually going to be my next question. Use the .311 bullet in the .308 case. A friend of mine loads .308 by the truck full, I'll ask him to make me up a few hundred.

As far as pressure, the heavy M72 barrel should be strong enough I think. My old G3 had less meat at the chamber and did it all day long.

On the other hand the Romanian RPK I have has a chamber diameter of .905 and the Green Mountain M76 barrel has a OD of .907. That is good bite and add a barrel pin it should be great. RPK furniture on that with a PSL receiver might be nifty.

But back to the Yugo M72, I believe I will go the route of the .308 with the .311 projectiles.
    THERE IS A DOWN SIDE TO THIS AND i SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED IT. BE DAMM SURE YOU DONT GET A 311-308 ROUND ACCIDENTLY MIXED UP AND FIRED IN A .308 BORE. YOU LIKELY WILL SEE SOME EXCESSIVE PRESSURES TRYING TO SHOVE A .311 BULLET INTO 308 BORE

HONESTLY IF YOUR GOING TO ALL THIS WORK AND EXPENSE ID RECOMEND YOU GET A TRUE 308 BARREL IN THE BIG PICTURE THE COST WILL NOT BE THAT MUCH ESPECIALY IF YOU HAVE TO BUY OR RENT A CHAMBER REAMER. YOU CAN LIKELY FIND A 308 BARREL AND HAVE IT TURNED TO FIT CHEAPER. WHAT CONDITION IS YOUR BORE ??? MANY OF THOSE YUGOS ARE NOT GREAT.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

YOU NEED TO CONSIDER WERE THE BARREL PIN GROOVE IS COMPARED TO WERE THE CHAMBER WILL BE. IT GETS REALLY CLOSE ON A NORMAL BARREL i DONT KNOW WHAT A M72 IS LIKE EXACTLY. ALSO KEEP IN MIND THAT THE YUGOS PINS ARE GENERALY LOWER / CLOSER TO THE BORE THAN A ROMMY OR OTHER FLAVOR.

IS THIS A MILLED OR STAMPED KIT YOUR WORKING WITH??

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

YOU NEED TO CONSIDER WERE THE BARREL PIN GROOVE IS COMPARED TO WERE THE CHAMBER WILL BE.
    Very good point, now if your going to use one of those new US M72 barrels I think this would work since the barrel pin groove isn't cut yet.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    HONESTLY IF YOUR GOING TO ALL THIS WORK AND EXPENSE ID RECOMEND YOU GET A TRUE 308 BARREL IN THE BIG PICTURE THE COST WILL NOT BE THAT MUCH ESPECIALY IF YOU HAVE TO BUY OR RENT A CHAMBER REAMER. YOU CAN LIKELY FIND A 308 BARREL AND HAVE IT TURNED TO FIT CHEAPER. WHAT CONDITION IS YOUR BORE ??? MANY OF THOSE YUGOS ARE NOT GREAT.
    Agreed. Just get a .308 barrel. BELIEVE ME when I say that .311 bullets are MUCH HARDER to find than .308 bullets. Besides, you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

And if you decide that it's all just too much trouble, I'd be interested in your M72 parts kit. (Sorry, I had to.) LOL.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    SEE MY 308 CONVERSION THREAD ITS A LONG READ BUT ITS FULL OF VERY GGO INFO THE BEST YOU WILL FIND ON THE NET READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL OF IT THEN DECIDE IF YOU WANT TO TAKE THE RISK. THE RAILS DONT NEED TO BE LOWER. YOU NEED TO READ THE THREAD FIRST ILL FIND THE LINK FOR YOU

IT NEEDS TO BE A DAMMM STICKY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HERE IS THE LINK.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f244/308-ak-18443/
    Well -- I copied it to the library then went in to clean it up.

Sorry -- that thread doesn't say anything.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

So here's my solution:

Buy a FAL. I'll have my pretty as issued M72 firing 7.62x39 and my L1A1 that fires .308. Problem solved and I haven't reinvented the wheel and hurt myself or gone broke trying to find bullets or anything else.

Feedback Score

I did this in my MG47-308; rechambered the M72 finned barrel for .308 win. It functions fine aside from issues with the belt feeding. The barrel is fine with .308 bullets through the .311 bore. It is not the most accurate though, about 6 MOA, but it was pretty well shot before I built it anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.