Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 carcano

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default 6.5 carcano

This is kind of a double question, will the AK and SKS actions withstand the 6.5 carcano? I ask because I want to work on an sks in that caliber (preferably that round) for a mid-range scout rifle.
    Semper Fortis, Paratus Et Potens, Non Sibi, Sed Patriae.

Feedback Score

To answer your original question, 40,000 to 42,000 psi (vs. 51,500 for the AK 7.6239mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

SHOOTING THE 6

Compared to the 7.62x39, you know what 6.5mm Carcano costs per box?
    AmmoEngine: 6.5x50mm Carcano, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

6.5x52mm Carcano : Rifle Ammo at GunBroker.com

You might be better off with 6.5mm Grendel
    6.5 mm Grendel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    To answer your original question, 40,000 to 42,000 psi (vs. 51,500 for the AK 7.6239mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

SHOOTING THE 6

Compared to the 7.62x39, you know what 6.5mm Carcano costs per box?
    AmmoEngine: 6.5x50mm Carcano, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

6.5x52mm Carcano : Rifle Ammo at GunBroker.com

You might be better off with 6.5mm Grendel
    6.5 mm Grendel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the grendel would be not only be a bit less expensive it would also fit as it is more or less a straight walled 7.62x39 necked down to 6.5.

sort of a natural for 7.62x39 chambered guns.

i so want to do one of these in an AKM--

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

There's a thread about a Carcano conversion a few pages back.

If you're set up to reload Carcano already, it would be an interesting build. The Carcano is one of a small number of cartridges (.300 Savage, .35 Remingon, .22 Horner) that get a lot of performance from relatively low pressure.

Hcpookie also did a build in 6.5x55. As noted above, the 6.5 Grendel is basically a no-brainer.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If im not mistaken the carcano is the same rim diamiter as the x39. I thought about a wildcat based on one but relized it was a stupid idea and brass was to pricy and all that and I would not gain any thing.

on a AK you would be better to do a 260 remington and load it a little lighter. It will blow the doors of a grendal and would be cheaper to reload if you used 7.62x51 brass necked down.

THE AK IS NOT RESTRICTED TO A AR LENGTH MAG WELL SO WHY KEEP USING SHORT ROUNDS IF YOUR BUILDING A CALIBURE CONVERSION AK???

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    If im not mistaken the carcano is the same rim diamiter as the x39. I thought about a wildcat based on one but relized it was a stupid idea and brass was to pricy and all that and I would not gain any thing.

on a AK you would be better to do a 260 remington and load it a little lighter. It will blow the doors of a grendal and would be cheaper to reload if you used 7.62x51 brass necked down.

THE AK IS NOT RESTRICTED TO A AR LENGTH MAG WELL SO WHY KEEP USING SHORT ROUNDS IF YOUR BUILDING A CALIBURE CONVERSION AK???

cause i got a supply of 6.5g

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

cause i got a supply of 6.5g
    yea thats a pretty valid reason LOL.

Im all for moding an existing AK to shoot a standard mag well length round. I guess if Im building from scratch it just makes more sence to go with a longer mag well and the mods to make it work. I cant say enough how well my 300 savage works over the x39 for hunting. the other reason I like going that route is its really easy to get a take off barrel in 243, 308, 7mm-08 already chamberd.

I have done a couple barrels in grendal for vz 58,s and AK,s t the feed back has been all positive. I rented a reamer for those. I may invest in my own reamer at some point and make up a few AK barrels if there is any intrest. unfortunatly there are no cheap Blanks. I ocasional find 260 remington barrels but there nver cheap. they can be rechambered.

I also keep thinking a simple knecked down x39 case to 6mm or 6.5 would yeild good performance and feed well from a standard mag. it would not be as fast as a grendal but it would still bea good round.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

a 260 wold be nice. most of my high power irons are 308s.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'm looking more at the sks platform so as not to run afoul of californian rules. I didn't realize the grendel was coming in cheaper than carcano rounds.
    Semper Fortis, Paratus Et Potens, Non Sibi, Sed Patriae.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I'm looking more at the sks platform so as not to run afoul of californian rules. I didn't realize the grendel was coming in cheaper than carcano rounds.
    Im not sure your going to get a carcano round to fir in a SKS action with out some serious mods. I think you can build a saiga clone with no pistol grip and all that on a NDS or other no on the banned list reciver to give you the abilty to use AK internals.

I do agree that if your going with a SKS then a grendal might be the way to go. less mag well mods if any.

Ive been collecting pieces for a AK based rifle for my dad in California and I was under the impression that if it had no evil features and a small mag it was dooable. I relize the Saiga is banned there ( I think) but if one had a SaIga rerecivered to a non ban reciver it was legal. I planed on building a 243 win on a home made reciver with no pistol grip, Saiga stock, saiga trigger ( much modded so it dont suck) a sagia fore grip, non threaded barrel, no bayo lugs, basicaly a sporting rifle with a AK carreir and trunion.

I may be wrong but Ive always been under the impression that a SKS was weaker than a AK as well. Might be a concern as the Grendal is loaded hotter than the 7.62x39 as I recall ( Might be wrong I have about 50 builds Inmmy head right now) LOL

wasent Will Hayden doing some California legal AKs????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.