Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: 9mm ak from scratch

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have my EOD bolt from my x25 pistol, that I was thinking of taking to a machine shop to see how much a run of say 10 each copies would be. I need one for my 2XTM 9mm build.
    did he patent any part of it???? id be interestd in something like that but with a simple metal lug threaded for were the pistion could screw into easly or be omitted if desired.

WITH THE PRICE OF AND DEMAND FOR KITS THESE DAYS I CANT BELIVE MORE COMPANYS HAVE NOT COME OUT WITH US MADE PARTS AND BLOW BACK OPTION BUILDS. I ALSO CANT BELIVE THAT THERE ARE NOT US COMPANYS MAKING A CHEAP SIMPLE 9MM AND OTHER PISTOL CAL BLOW BACK AK CLONE. SEEMS LIKE A PROFIT COULD BE MADE AT AROUND $350 OR SO.

iTS ABOUT $4 IN MATERIALS TO MAKE A RECIVER . STOCKS ARE CHEAP, THERE ARE LOTS OF CHEAP TRIGGER PARTS OUT THERE. ON A BLOW ABACK THE TRUNION IS NOT LOAD BEARING SO IT COULD BE MADE CHEAP OE EVEN CAST. THERE IS NOT A LOT TO THESE IF YOUR A GUN MAKER ALREADY. I BET EVEN WITH A BARREL AND A STOCK SET THERE IS NOT $100 IN MATERIALS. ALL THEY WOULD HVE TO BE AS A GLORIFED 22lr SCALED UP. i WAS STUDYING THE RUGER 10-22 AND THINKING HOW IT COULD BE COPIED BUT BIGGER FOR A 9MM OR X25 BLOW BACK.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Doubletap! I hate when my connection is dropped mid-post!
    Last edited by kernelkrink; 01-02-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: doubletap!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I think HiPoint has the cheap(est) pistol caliber carbine market sewn up. Keltec would probably beat them if they ever got enough product out to satisfy demand.

Other than wanting an AK in a blowback caliber, not much advantage to using the design from a cost standpoint. Nothing wrong with that, I'd love to have a cheap Bizon clone. But if you're just wanting cheap to make......

Your cheapest manufacturing process gun is going to be a tube based gun like most of the cheap subguns of the world. Simple lathe work to turn out, minimal milling, and use off the shelf components as much as possible to reduce tooling costs. A foot of tube is going to be $4 or less in bulk, thread each end and mill in a few openings. Weld on a few attachments, receiver done. Or if you really wanna go cheap, bend from a flat with stamped out openings, but the tooling startup costs are higher. Barstock for a bolt, rear plug, and front trunnion is gonna be a few bucks a foot, again some minimal lathe work and mill time. Look at the Tec9 and MAC series, those were cheap to make and sold for years in the sub $200 range. Only after the AW bans and such did they shoot up. Of course, MSRP has little to do with actual manufacturing costs. Does a $2500 AR15 variant really cost that much more to make than the $650 one?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

very true but I think a AK blow back might sell a little better. every mall ninja would want one.
    that same bar stock can also make a bolt to fit a AK reciver with a few slots milled in it. It would be slightly more work but not froma CNC stand point the costs would likely only be a few dollars more. iwas thinking all the dod dads thatalready fit a AK like stocks and rails and all the cheap FCGs and all the other already on the shelf stuff out there. it just seams like you wpould only have to really figure out a very good mag well and a a bolt to make these a sellable product. EOD is close witht he parts they sell why not get it to gether and make complete rifles??? and I agree that it might not be the best design or way to do a blow back rilfe but I still think they would sell if they looked like a AK better than some thing else. if a $900 9mm or 7.62x39 can sell Id think a $300 or $400 AK would be a sellable item in the same calibur.

I wish i had the $$$$$ to start a company and insure it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Make it so it takes AR15 furniture and probably 75% or more of the mall ninja add ons are there. Thread the rear cap for the buffer tube, and a lip around the front trunnion would mount the forearm, retained with a standard AR15 bracket in the front. Slap on some Picatinny rails everywhere and there ya go.

I'm looking at it from the standpoint of starting from scratch, if you were a manufacturer already making AKs it might be easier and cheaper to modify the few parts you would need and make use of your existing setup as much as possible. Hipoint cranks out their carbine so cheap because they essentially just took their handgun design and enclosed it in a clamshell stock. They are setup for zinc casting work, so that works for them.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Make it so it takes AR15 furniture and probably 75% or more of the mall ninja add ons are there. Thread the rear cap for the buffer tube, and a lip around the front trunnion would mount the forearm, retained with a standard AR15 bracket in the front. Slap on some Picatinny rails everywhere and there ya go.
    Not a bad idea i like the idea od using cheap AR stocks and I like the retactables enough to have put a few on my hunting AK,s so I can a djust for my son as well as heavy jackets in cold weather. there is tons of AR doddads cheap.

I like to think fronm scratch but I also ahve a pile of home made flats I cut as well as a flat bender so it easier for me to start there but not buy much. a square or round reciver made to fit a much easier to build bolt assembly is not a big deal.

I have been wanting to build a longer barrel sporting type blow back foir a while id like to get some accuracy out of it. a square reciver could give me some of the looks I want.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    did he patent any part of it???? id be interestd in something like that but with a simple metal lug threaded for were the pistion could screw into easly or be omitted if desired.

WITH THE PRICE OF AND DEMAND FOR KITS THESE DAYS I CANT BELIVE MORE COMPANYS HAVE NOT COME OUT WITH US MADE PARTS AND BLOW BACK OPTION BUILDS. I ALSO CANT BELIVE THAT THERE ARE NOT US COMPANYS MAKING A CHEAP SIMPLE 9MM AND OTHER PISTOL CAL BLOW BACK AK CLONE. SEEMS LIKE A PROFIT COULD BE MADE AT AROUND $350 OR SO.

iTS ABOUT $4 IN MATERIALS TO MAKE A RECIVER . STOCKS ARE CHEAP, THERE ARE LOTS OF CHEAP TRIGGER PARTS OUT THERE. ON A BLOW ABACK THE TRUNION IS NOT LOAD BEARING SO IT COULD BE MADE CHEAP OE EVEN CAST. THERE IS NOT A LOT TO THESE IF YOUR A GUN MAKER ALREADY. I BET EVEN WITH A BARREL AND A STOCK SET THERE IS NOT $100 IN MATERIALS. ALL THEY WOULD HVE TO BE AS A GLORIFED 22lr SCALED UP. i WAS STUDYING THE RUGER 10-22 AND THINKING HOW IT COULD BE COPIED BUT BIGGER FOR A 9MM OR X25 BLOW BACK.
    Hey 1biggun, I don't know if he patented anything or not. I haven't seen any information regarding patents, but to a degree his is similar to the Bizon bolt/carrier, so I'm not sure that he could.

I plan to take the bolt/carrier assy to the machine shop tomorrow and check the cost. I hope Smartbomb can get something going on his end as well. We'll see. I'll post the cost when I get it from the machine shop. It may take a week or so to get the quote depending on how busy they are. I'm hoping that with a run of 10 units, I can get the cost down to around $80.00 per unit.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

I'd like to get a bolt body like the EOD, with no angle cuts on the back of the bolt, just 90 degerees square cut and no, boltface, firing pin hole, bolt stop or ejector cut for my second prototype. I think the body length (not the op rod) needs to be 7/8 shorter than the EOD body, but I'm waiting on parts to show up so I can be sure. I have this 9mm gun about figured out now. I'd pay to have a simple one done so I can make another prototype type weapon. If you don't understand my request, feel free to e-mail me. gwailo7@(REMOVE)gmail.com

Thanks
    Kenny

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thumbs up

If you gents get these 9mm AK's built and decide to sell them, I'd be your first customer! I'd love to put some laminate wood on them!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.