Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: 2XTM 9mm Build Progress

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    I actually had an idea for the bolt stop. Instead of welding a block on, drill and tap the factory bolt stop on the trunnion for a stop bolt with a jamb nut. Maybe even tack weld it after getting the headspace set. I can't remember how much material is there, so I don't know if it would support a 10-32 hole, or if I would have to do an 8-32. I'm pretty sure that a 10-32 bolt, correctly chosen of course, could handle the the linear compression, (especially if I washer it up to help support the shank) but I'm not sure that an 8-32 could handle the repeated pounding. I'm gonna check it out after I get home. May not need to be in much of a rush to get it ready to test tomorrow, as its supposed to rain. That sucks! The guy I was going with was bringing a 1919a4!!!!!!!!

ive wondered too if your bolt stop could be a piece of poly like a buffer?
    "Always forwards, never backwards." Erich Honecker

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Well, I wound up just welding in a block of keystock. I was being lazy that night, and figured even though I feel my adjustable bolt/jamb nut idea is a good one, it would have taken longer to do. I had to hurry and get it ready to test on Sunday, so I welded in the key stock.

Didn't get to test it due to the weather, but I found a problem when hand cycling. I trimmed the ejector too short/narrow. It was only hitting the shell base, if you pulled the bolt towards the left as you pulled backwards. If you pulled straight back, it would just barely hit the casing, enough to strip it off the bolt, but not enough to actually kick it out of the receiver. Then of course the casing would hang up the action. I need to add weld material to the ejector this evening. Glad I found it now, rather than at the range. I hate the weather wasn't co-operating, not to mention that I've got the start of a sinus/upper respiratory infection going on. Felt like crap all day yesterday. Maybe next weekend.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

While trying to keep busy in the shop this week, I decided to make my own muzzle brake for this build. Started with a scrapped aircraft jet engine part that was going to be thrown away. I liked the look and shape of it, and saved it. It's been languishing in my tool box for years. Not even totally sure what it is/was. Some kind of a fuel nozzle adaptor I think.

Any rate, it had a standard 1-1/4" "nut" cast into the original part. I cut that off and ground it down, then chucked it up in the redneck lathe, my drill press. Kept grinding until it was smooth and somewhat even. Center drilled the hole up to .4xx. Don't remember the exact dimension, but it's what the tap and die chart calls for for a 1/2-20. The barrel on my build is threaded 1/2-28 like an AR, so obviously thats what I tapped the muzzle brake to. Then I drilled a hole pattern that is part AK74, and part Magna-Port style. Not sure if it will do anything but it looks interesting. It even clocked correctly when I installed it. Well, here she is:
    Attached Images Attached Images

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Awesome job on the brake, the amount, type and location of the ports looks professional.

Shooter

Feedback Score

That looks so good! You did very well. Can't wait to hear the range test

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter17 View Post
    Awesome job on the brake, the amount, type and location of the ports looks professional. Shooter
    Thanks Shooter. Yeah it has 4 straight ports and 4 ports that are angled back and radiused. 5 ports in front, and 3 on the second row. This is the second one that I've made. The first I did in 14 x 1mm LH for the AKM's. It looked great, but I wound up getting the tap just a hair crooked, and it threads on wonky. Sucked because I put several hours or work into that first one. At least I learned from my mistake though, and this one came out nice. I can't wait to try it with and without.

Thanks Mule. Will post range report soon I hope.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.