Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2XTM 9mm Build Progress

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Default 2XTM 9mm Build Progress

Thanks to all who offered advice, and especially to Zoom6Zoom who sent me the original PDF files from Lichtenberg Research. They helped a ton!!!!!!!

Here is the progress so far:

Bent up a piece of .050 mild steel that I cut out the rough opening for the 2XTM magwell prior to bending. (I use a Tapco flat as a template, and scribe onto the plain sheet metal.) Trimmed to rough size, bent the top rails in a hydraulic knife edged type bender at work. drilled pilot holes everywhere I needed them, cut out for magwell, pistol grip nut, and trigger so I could put it in my poor mans jig. Set the outer die spacing for the .050 flat, and bent it up, nice and square, with great corners. I was worried about how well it would turn out with the large magwell cutout and not being able to use the forward most bolt through the inner clamping die on the bending jig. It turned out great!!!!!! Temp installed the magwell with 2 8-32 screws in the aft holes for the front trunnion. In general it fits good. It will still need lots of trimming and fitting once I have a couple of Suomi drum mags to start fit checking. I went ahead and finished drilling up the receiver, temp installed the center support, double checked the FCG fit, selector lever, top cover, etc.... It all looks great.

I mocked up a few parts on it just to get an idea of what it will look like. This is by no means the furniture that will go on it. I haven't decided on that yet. It's just there because it was the closest items at hand.

Crap tried to load a pic and it's too big!! Will post a pic as soon as I can resize it.
    Last edited by 2ndAmendican; 01-07-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

What's thats the hold up with the pic? I have a 9mm x2m on the back burner. LOL

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

I have the pic on my work computer, and today they have me stationed on the other side of the base, dangit! I'll see what I can do though.

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    I have the pic on my work computer, and today they have me stationed on the other side of the base, dangit! I'll see what I can do though.
    We should not have to put up with this

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

How are planning on hardening mild steel

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

We should not have to put up with this
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    How are planning on hardening mild steel
    Same as any other build from a flat. Ejector tip and FCG holes with a MAPP gas torch.

Feedback Score

Hey guys, mild steel doesn't harden from simple heating and chilling. It lacks the carbon content. Case hardening may help with special surface chemical treatment (carbon rich stuff).

VD

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

what I would do if I were you is order a piece of 4130 from Aircraft supplies aluminum sheet 2024T3 4130 steel tubing Airparts inc - Aircraft construction supplies
    They have decent prices.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Hey guys, mild steel doesn't harden from simple heating and chilling. It lacks the carbon content. Case hardening may help with special surface chemical treatment (carbon rich stuff).
    WHAT HE SAID.

aircraft spruce is good to deal with I have bought material from them before and it was all good.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.