Gunco Forums banner

more gas op 9mm bs

27K views 41 replies 10 participants last post by  nousiainenl 
#1 ·
i have run this question else where and thought i would ask here as well. there is just so much crap to learn that i think i am loosing my mind.

so most gas op 9mm/x25 ak builds require lightening the carrier. from what i have seen, the carrier looks like swiss cheese. my feeble brain says to do something completely different. my thought was to emulate the sks. an sks has a separate piston and bolt, with the piston floating in the tube. the bolt gets kicked by the piston as the gas acts on it. i'm thinking, the ak carrier gets cut somewhere forward of the bolt (makes it lighter). the bolt gets its push from an sks type gas piston. the carrier itself can ride rearward on its rails and a spring/guide rod similar to an rpk. am i nuts or is this plausible

#34 ·
nice looking set up.

very cool how you have it open to see ....

looks like you swiss cheesed the carrier to get your weight down. do you have a settled weight? or are you still working on that?

tell us why you want to shorten the stroke more? (its a nice looking distance now)

the initial push from the gas is gone the milisecond it opens coming out of your gas block.. so if you think its under gassed?

you just need a little more initial push/gas or you need it contained a hair longer. you can get either of those things without changing your stroke, if you want to.

a touch longer in the gas block housing or hair bigger gas port.

you got lots of options to play with on this & it looks like you've got an awesome start on it.

thanks for sharing!

#36 ·
I am not going to shorten the stroke, i am shortening the gas system (gas block closer to chamber) so i can get more gas.
There is another video where you can see that carrier is not moving enough backwards.

[video=youtube;WPqRlmHCgI0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPqRlmHCgI0[/video]

#39 ·
Like the left side charging system. Will you be able to modify Uzi mags to fit also? Lost the bolt open feature on my AR15 9mm but the price of magazines was worth the effort of cutting the notch to match. Very nice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.