Gunco Forums banner

410 saiga to rifled barrel an brass cases.

3K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  Coils 
#1 · (Edited)
Xxxx

#4 ·
Well, why not? Others have gone drunk the Kool-Aid and it tasted just fine!

Shotgunworld.com • View topic - 410 Rifled Slug Gun Project

I think there's a sub-thread about a ".410 From Hell" in the long 12gaFH thread on Accurate Reloading, too.

And there's a page from a .410 nut in England that Google can't seem to be persuaded into retrieving at the moment...

I don't know that the ballistics are supposed to be on a stock .410, but the 3" Winchester shell I cut apart had a .40-caliber, 100 grain bullet that was completely hollow like a thimble. I was so underwhelmed I dismissed the .410 from consideration for a long time... but, of course, you don't have to reload to stock specs.

Keep this project up, and I might have to blow the dust off my Romanian .410 conversion!

#6 ·
WERE CAN I FIND 2.5" 410 SAIGA MAGS. MINE IS 3" AND YOU NEED 2.5 MAGS TO SHOOT THE SHORTER SHELL (i THINK)
I don't know, but if you find any 2.5" mags let me know after you get yours, all I've seen are the 3".

Also if you do try to use the 3" mags, you'll most likely have to make the overall length of the round 2 3/4"-3", those Wolf slugs & buck shot steel cased 410s are a little longer then 2 1/2" but shorter then 3" and they feed in my 410, but a 2 1/2" plastic hulled shell won't.
If you haven't tried a 2 1/2" yet, try to cycle one and you'll see where it hangs up, if you make the round longer I think it will work.

#8 ·
Yeah that pissed me off last summer, I bought a couple boxes of 2.5" shells and found out they didn't feed when I went to the range, so I had a single shot semi auto :D

If you get those steel cased ones, you might want to fire one and check the wall thickness before just loading one up, I think it would work but I'd want to know how it's made first. The main thing I'd worry about is the case head seperating, I'm sure the rest of it will be fine in the barrel.

#10 ·
I'm guessing but this might be why he was having feed issues with the 444
Case length
2.250 in (57.2 mm)
Overall length
2.55 in (65 mm)
The overall length might be what was causing it? I think it needs to be more closer to 2.75, closer to 3" would be even better.

THEY DID MAKE 2.5 SAIGA MAGS AT ONE TIME CORRECT???????????????????????????
I'm sure they did, many years ago (4 or 5 actually) I know I saw two sizes of the 4 round factory mags on ebay, but the one was double the price. Sorry don't remember the details anymore.
I did a google search and only found 3" mags.

ProMag has the 30 round drum out now, these two places have them for $100, seen mixed reviews though, most were positive but a few had feed issues.
<b>SAIGA 410</b> 30RD DRUM
Saiga 410 Gauge 30 Round Drum - Promag [SAI-A9] - $99.95 : Mississippi Auto Arms, Inc ::, Your Source for Saiga, AK47, AR15, Tromix, Glock, and SKS firearms and accessories

#15 ·
Yikes is right, I think that's what I paid for the Izzy 10 round mags. I'd like to get a couple of them but I'm paying that much.

Thanks for the link to the 2.5 mag info, that had a lot of good info.

#17 ·
I know what you mean about "back in the day", I got mine for 200 out the door.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is to look at how the shells feed, you'll see how it hits that guide above the chamber (and if you try a 2.5 you see it hits the end of it), but maybe if you extend that guide a little it might feed a little better?
Other then that it might need a completely different mag design?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.