Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LOOKING AT A 6MM-223

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default LOOKING AT A 6MM-223

MY AK VARMINT RIG IN 223 IS STARTING TO SHOW SOME WEAR ON THE BARREL AFTER 6000 HOTLY LOADED ROUNDS.

I HAVE BEENING LOOKING AT THE 6MM-223 FOR A SIMPLE REBARREL ONLY.
    SEEMS LIKE YOU GAIN SOME SPEED WITH THE HEAVER BULLETS AS WELL AS BEING ABLE TO SHOOT EVEN HEAVIER BULLTS. WAS CONSIDERING LENGTHING THE MAGS AN MAG WELL TO BE ABLE TO SEATT HE BULLETS ALL THE WAY OUT TO BE ABLE TO SHOOT 110 GRAIN STUFF IN SEMI AUTO SOMETHING THE AR BOYS CANT DO. SHORT A WSSM I THINK THIS ABOUT THE BEST CROSS BETWEEN BULLET BC AND CASE CAPICITY.

BRASS SEEMS TO BE AS SIMPLE AS ONE PASS WITH THE CORRECT DIE AN 223 BRASS. ILL STILLL BE ABLE TO SHOOT 55 GRAIN BULLTSFOR UP CLOSE STUFF. I DONT REALLY SEE A DOWN SIDE AS I RELOAD. WAS THINKING ABOUT A 1-9 TWIST OR SO FOR THE HEAVY BULLETS.

THIS ROUND WOULD BE MARGINAL ON DEER BUT WOULD BE BETTER THAN A 223 IN AL,OST EVERY ASPECT.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Hornady makes or at least used to make 6x45/6mm-223 dies that cost the same as their normal dies where as from anyone else the were listed as semi custom ($). The shoulder is easily set back so you have to seat and crimp in two steps. I shoot a lot of 223 so I use nickle cases for the 6mms so i don't get them mixed up.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

OVERLAYING THE LOADS FROM HODGEN POWDERS YOU DONT REALLY GAIN MUCH SPEED. BUT THE ABILITY TO SHOOT HEAVIER BULLETS IS STILL A PLUS. IM GOING TO NEED TO STUDY THIS SOMEMORE. IM MAINLY INTERESTED IN THE BEST BC POSSABLE FOR LONG RANGE SHOOTING. I STILL NEED TO COMPARE THE BEST BC 223 BULLETS TO THE BEST 443 BULLETS AND SEE WHAT IS WHAT.

I SELDOM SHOOT LIGHTER THAN 50 GRAIN IN MY 1-9 TWIST 223 BARREL SO IM NOT GIVING UP MUCH ON THE LIGHER ROUNDS WITH EITHER.

Feedback Score

Good choice. It is possible to get the barrel rebored to 6mm/.223. Dont know what it would cost but might be worthwhile to look into it. Might not work if your bore is chromed.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Good choice. It is possible to get the barrel rebored to 6mm/.223. Dont know what it would cost but might be worthwhile to look into it. Might not work if your bore is chromed.
    IM SURE ITS POSSABLE TO HAVE A BRREL REBORED AN RIFLED BUT THE PRICE WOULD BE VERY HIGH. I HAVE MY OWN LATH AND MILL AND DO A LOT OF BARREL WORK SO FOR ME A BARREL IS A MATTTER OF HAVING A BLANK OR TAKE OFF ON HAND A FEW HOURS OR MORE OF WORK. THE OLD BARREL IS A 26" SAVE BOLT ACTION VARMINT PROFILE BARREL.

THE MORE I LOOK AT THINGS I MAY GO WITH A FAST TWIST 1-7 TWIST 223 BARREL THAT WILL ALLOW ME TO SHOOT THE 9 GRAINERS. IF I GO 6MM ILL NEED A PRETTY FAST TWIST AS WELL AS ILL BE WANTING TO SHOOT107 GRAIN STUFF. THE PROBLEM IS GETTTING THE 107,S TO STAY SUPERSONIC OUT TO 1000 YARDS. iM NOT SURE THEY WILL. I NEED TO DO SOME MORE RESEARCH ON THE 6-223

90 GRAIN 223 HAS A BC OF AROUND 504 AN THE 243 107,S HAVE A BC OF 527. SO I NEED TO FIGURE WHAT SPEEDS I CAN GET OUT MY SET UP WITH BOTH WITH THE BULLETS SEATED OUT AN A CHAMBER SET UP FOR THOSE LOADS.

I MAY DO A 6MM-223 JUST TO HAVE ONE. SEEMS LIKE THE 55 GRAINERS WOULD BE FINE AT 300 YARDS EVEN WITH THERE LOWER BC AN SECTIONAL DENSITY OVER A 55 GRAIN 223. IM THINKING WHAT EVER I DO WILL LIKELY BE A HEAVY BULLET SPECIFIC BARREL DUE TO THE CHAMBER AND THROATING REGUIRED TO WORK WITH BULLETS SEATED OUT TO MAX AN THE SHORTER STUFF MIGHT NOT LIKE THE LONGER FREE BORE AN FASTER THEN NEEDED TWIST. ALSO I MIGHT GET INTO SOME PRESSURE ISSUES WITH MY NORMAL LOADS IN 223 DUE TOT HE FATER TWIST. IM ON THE RGGED EDGE NOW WITH FLATTENED HARDENED NATO PRIMMERS AND EVEN GETTING SOME FLOWAGE INTOT HE EXTRACTER GROOVE ON THE BOLT. IM GUESSING IM GETTING UP THER IN PRESSURE MORE THAN ID LIKE.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I am looking at doing an upper for my AR in 6x45. Heard lots of good stuff about this for varmit.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

THE PROBLEM I SEE ON A AR IS BEING ABLE TO SEAT THE BULLETS OUT FAR ENOUGH WITH THE HEAVIER BULLETS. IT WOULD LIKELY BE PRETTY GOOD 400 YARD GUN WITH 75 GRAIN OR SO STUFF. HONESTLY HOW FAR DO MOST GUYS REALLY SHOOT?
    I LIKE THE BIGGER HOLE IT MAKES THE INGRASE IN ENERGY BUT ITS ONLY RELAIVANT IF YOUR TRYING TO KILL SOME THING BIGGER THAN A PRAIRE DOG. WOULD MAKE A GREAT COYOTE ROUND OR ON PEOPLE. ITS A SHAME THE AR DOSENT HAVE AN ADDITIONAL 1/4' OF MAG WELL ROOM. I GUESS YOU HAVE TO WORK WITH WHAT YOU HAVE. ID LOVE TO GET CLOSER TO 6MM AR TURBO SPEEDS WITH OUT ALL THE BS TO MAKE IT FEED AN CYCLE. WISH THERE WAS LONGER BRASS WITH A 223 RIM DIA TO WORK WITH. 222MAG BRASS IS LONGER BUT NOT BY MUCH.

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT SIMPLE NECKED DOWN X39 CASE TO 6MM ALSO. IT SEEMS IT WOULD BE A NO BRAINER WITH ALL THE BARREL LESS KITS . IT WONT GIVE 6MM PPC SPEEDS BUT IT WOULD BE A GOOD ROUND. AND FEED FROM STANDARD MAGS IN A AK.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Your not going to get the "Original" barrel bored out to 6mm.

I have been shooting the 6x45mm for at least 30 years. It is an excellent wild cat for the .223/5.56mm platform.

You only have to get the dies which open the neck to 6mm. The best bullet I have found is the Sierra 85 gr. HPBT (#1530) it performs great out to 600 yards. And believe me I have tried many.

What is really great about the 6x45mm is there is less felt recoil than the 5.56mm. Yest, I know, but it's true. Also, another advantage is that the 6x45mm has less bore wear that the 5.56mm.

I got my High Master Card (NRA-High Power) using the 6x45mm.

However, with today’s bullets/barrels/powder I'm sure you can accomplish the same thing with a 5.56mm barrel in 1-7/1-8 twist.
    "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

WOLVERINES! One of GUNCO's First Hundred!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yea im looking at a lot of options. id like to make it usable ot to 1000 yards and that really pushing things. Id likely be better to just acept that its a 600 yard gun.

I may do a 6mmx45 mainly because its a cheap conversion on a already built rifle.

im looking at a 6mmx39 set up as well but there is a lot more cost involved.

the easiest route to long range AK shooting is to simply take a 308 Saiga an add a heavy 260 reminton barrel or a 243 barrel with a fast twist.

my son is going to be shooting varmints soon an I may do a 6mm-223 on my current set up an build my self a new

recoil on my 223 is a non issue as it weighs close to 18 pounds. I can see hits pretty easly. seeing hits is realy important on a varmint rig as if you cant see your hits your lost plus you miss the show. at 800 yards i have time to look away and back before the bullet hits lol. however for my son the less the recol the better.

besides the cost of dies there is no real additional cost of going thjis route if you hand load. in fact you will be using less powder.

im suprised its not a fatory load to be honest with you.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yea im looking at a lot of options. id like to make it usable ot to 1000 yards and that really pushing things. Id likely be better to just acept that its a 600 yard gun.

I may do a 6mmx45 mainly because its a cheap conversion on a already built rifle.

im looking at a 6mmx39 set up as well but there is a lot more cost involved.

the easiest route to long range AK shooting is to simply take a 308 Saiga an add a heavy 260 reminton barrel or a 243 barrel with a fast twist.

my son is going to be shooting varmints soon an I may do a 6mm-223 on my current set up an build my self a new

recoil on my 223 is a non issue as it weighs close to 18 pounds. I can see hits pretty easly. seeing hits is realy important on a varmint rig as if you cant see your hits your lost plus you miss the show. at 800 yards i have time to look away and back before the bullet hits lol. however for my son the less the recol the better.

besides the cost of dies there is no real additional cost of going thjis route if you hand load. in fact you will be using less powder.

im suprised its not a fatory load to be honest with you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.