Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: PSL 308 conversion?

Feedback Score

Well next trip to the gun show hopefully Ill get a chance to put the 2 together and compare? Thats if I can find both at the same show.
    Last edited by gasngo; 07-06-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

OK YOU SPENT $289 FOR A KIT. YOU WILL NEED A RECIVER $75 A DIFFERQNT BOLT THAT IS LIKLEY EXPENSIVE. HOW MUCH IS A M76 BOLT? YOU WILL NEED A BARREL FITTED AN YOU WILL NEED SPECIAL MAGS. IM GUESSIN YOUR LOOKING A WELL OVER $600 TO BUILD A GUN THAT WONT OUT PERFORM THE X54R AND ITS GOING TO COST MORE THAN A PROVEN 3 LUG SAGIA 308???????????? HMMMMMMMM NOT SURE THIS IS THE WAY TO GO UNLESS YOU JUST LIKE THE LOOKS OF A PSL.

ID STICK WITH THE CHEAPER TO SHOOT X54 THAT CAN OUT DO THE 308 IF LOADED RIGHT AN RUN STOCK MAGS.

IMO IMO IMO .

NOW THAT WE GOT THAT OUT OF THE WAY LETS SEE WHAT WILL WORK AN WONT.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Before spending the money on an M76 bolt, maybe ask in the "general ak" area if someone that owns one can take some basic measurements so you can compare it to the PSL bolt
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

If I can get some time this weekend I can take some measurements of the PSL vs M76 bolts.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Thanks for the help. Biggun your are correct I am spending more money than I should. I do like the PSL and Im using a 80 receiver. This will most likely be the only one I ever do. No doubt it will add up. I think retaining the PSL bolt with mods will be the way I go. I have access to some machines and and someone who likes Beer. Its always a fair trade Beer for services IMO. 2Nd if and when you get a chance Ill right the numbers down. Im sure they will come in handy. I have case specs in my Lyman book that will help also.
    Last edited by gasngo; 07-07-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: If I could only spell

Feedback Score

The big ticket item would be the barrel. I had both an M76 parts kit and a PSL parts kit at the same time. I didn't measure them but I did compare them. The sizing of the parts seemed to be exactly the same. The factory 308 PSL's have a super cheap plastic magazines that doesn't work well and breaks easily. The 308 Galil magazines cn be fitted to both the 308 Vepr and the 308 PSL with only minor fitting mods to the magazine. It is not a design that would work in a 308 Saiga.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

A 308 WIN BARREL IS AS CLOSE AS A REMINGTON 700 TAKE BARREL AN A LATHE.

IM NOT SURE WHAT IS INVOLVED IN MODING THE BOLT BUT WELDING IN SLEAVES IS NOT AN OPTION.

ARE YOU DEAD SET ON HAVING IT IN 308 WIN??

IF YOU WANTED 308 PERFORMANCE AN TO BE ABLE TO POSSABLY USE THAT BOLT FACE THERE ARE A FEW OPTIONS. 307 WUNCHESTER IS A RIMMED 308 WINCHESTER AND USES THE SAME DIES.

I CONSIDERED THE BRASS WHEN CONTEMPLATING A 6.5MM PSL. ONE COULD SIMPLY USE 260 REM DIES TO GET A RIMMED 6.5 ROUND. I NEVER COMPARED THE RIM SIZE TO THE X54R. ITS JUST EASIER AN CHEAPEWR TO BUILD A 308 sAIGA INTO A 260 REM.

THERE IS NO REAL CHEAP 308 AMMO SO I DONT SEE THE ADVANTAGE OF A 308 WIN PSL. AN THE X5R IS JUST AS GOOD OR BETTER AS IS. ????

Feedback Score

I'd also stick with 7.62x54, why mess around with if and maybes, just build it like it was intended and you have your self a cheap to shoot mule that will run run run..I've got a carbine 54 and I've had the psl, both of them were very accurate in my case with surplus ammo.
    If you want a 308 just do up a saiga, have both!

Feedback Score

This is why the forums are here. All options and opinions are on the table. I have not settled on the final build yet. I do feel the 308 will provide a reliable and versatile round. When the kit gets here Ill be able to study the bolt and get a better feel for the road ahead. By the way If you did not go to the funny section and read the post I sent about the Electric Fence. Its Damm Funny Thanks Brad.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I thing there are two ways to convert the psl bolt for a rimless round. 1. extend the extractor and leave the rim unsupported like on the lee-enfields or machine off the lip that supports the 54r rim, and counter bore the center of the bolt in a similar way that some mosin's are done to convert to 30-06/ 308
    Semper Fortis, Paratus Et Potens, Non Sibi, Sed Patriae.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.