Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: PSL 308 conversion?

Feedback Score

There is one more way to convert the larger bolt face to a small rimless cartridge head.... Leave the face alone and simply mod the extractor (as I have mentioned before for the 7.62x39mm to 5.56mm change.

The modified extractor not only grabs the smaller diameter rimless brass but it also shoves it sideways slightly upon extraction into the ejector. No need to mod the ejector either.

VD

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have a thread at WG where I'm doing one in 8mm mauser. I did tack weld a reducer ring into the bolt face. I know folks are gonna say thats a no-no, but I can garantee I didnt get it hot enough to draw the temper of the bolt head. Flame on!
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

There is one more way to convert the larger bolt face to a small rimless cartridge head.... Leave the face alone and simply mod the extractor (as I have mentioned before for the 7.62x39mm to 5.56mm change.

The modified extractor not only grabs the smaller diameter rimless brass but it also shoves it sideways slightly upon extraction into the ejector. No need to mod the ejector either.

VD
    WAS AS THINKNG THAT AS WELL.

I SEE THERE ARE BOLTS AROUND FOR $50 STIPPED IN X54R I REALL NEED MONEY TO GET SOEM OF THIS STUFF WHILE ITS THERE.

I have a thread at WG where I'm doing one in 8mm mauser. I did tack weld a reducer ring into the bolt face. I know folks are gonna say thats a no-no, but I can garantee I didnt get it hot enough to draw the temper of the bolt head. Flame on!
    NEED TO GET ON THAT SITE MORE SOME REALLY TALENTED PEOPLE THERE.
    ILL JUST BITE MY TOUNG AND SAY THERE ARE THOSE WHO KNOW HOW TO WELD AND THOSE WHO DONT.

Feedback Score

BIG G there talented people here also! Including you. Kit arrived and heres a pic laid out. I will admit this is a very good kit. No major wear, dents or other.
    Im tempted to call and see if they will honor one more at that price? Unless I cant convert the bolt 308 it is. The barrel length will not be full but I think around 22 inches will do the job and still keep it some what compact.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Could start with a AK74/AK100 bolt, Lengthen the stem and make a longer firing pin. Re shape the extractor and open up the bolt face. Pookie did exactly that, but used a AKM bolt. Pookie's build thread of a 6.5x55mm psl type rifle is over here. The AK74/AK100 bolt has a little more meat. To use the AK74/AK100 bolt you would have to sleeve the carrier down the the smaller stem diameter. After that it is magazines and the CSspec stamped magazines are very visually appealing to me...

Feedback Score

I was reading that it was unsafe to convert the 54r to .308 because it lacks the third locking lug found on the Saiga .308.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by akma View Post
    I was reading that it was unsafe to convert the 54r to .308 because it lacks the third locking lug found on the Saiga .308.
    It isn't very cut and dry.

7.62x54r will run at a lower pressure than 308, but has a larger case head.

Galil 308s used a standard lug dimension bolt. The M76s also used the same lug distentions as the M70s. The 308 PSLs used a bolt with the same lug dimensions as the 7.62x54r bolt and that has the same lug dimensions as the standard 7.62x39 bolt.The 308 M90s used a longer two lug bolt. The 308 Saiga and 308 and 7.62x54r Vepr rifles use a 3 lug bolt.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

good stuff here guys yes there are some good people here who know what they doing i know cause I am a memebr and comment on the other sites. one knows when others have talent and there plenty here

great thread

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

The M76 bolt and bolt carrier can be bought for $150. I'm sure there are PSL owners that would buy the spare 7.62x54R bolt.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I was reading that it was unsafe to convert the 54r to .308 because it lacks the third locking lug found on the Saiga .308
    were did you read that and what is there proof???????? I have spent the lasst 6 years tring to find any thing in writing from a reputable source that tells what pressures a 2 lug trunion is safe at. an ii have yet to see any one blow up a 308 conversion.

I started the orginal 308 conversion thread here like 5 years ago and there is a ton of info on it. read all of it and then decide.

WILL I TELL YOU THE CONVERSION IS SAFE? NO HAVE I DONE THE CONVERSION ON NUMERIOUS 308 PARENT CASE ROUNDS? YES. DO I LOAD TO THE MAX OR SHOOT FACTORY LOADS / NO.

IF I COULD GO TO THE RUSSIAN AK FACTORY AND ASK TWO QUESTIONS IT WOULD E AT WHAT PRESSURE WILL A STANDARD AKM AN M70 TYPE TRUNION PROOF OUT AT AN

WTF WERE YOU THINKING WITHT HE SITE RADIOUS AN TRIGGERS.

THERE IS BASICALY ZERO INFO OF AKS AND WHT PRESSURES THEY WILL FAIL A PROFF TEST AT. I HAVE READ THAT THE SAIGA IS THREE LUG BECAUSE IT FAILES THE CIP TESTING BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN AN OFFICAL DOCUMENT. I HAVE THERE ARE OTHER REASONS FOR THE THIRD LUG AN KEEP IN MIND THAT THIRD LUG DONT COST 10 CENTS MORE TO HAVE THERE.

IN ADDITION TO THE 3RD LUFG THE BOLT HEAD IS WIDER AS WELL BUT IF THE SIDES OF A 308 SAIGA BOLT WERE MACHINED SLIGHTLY IT WILL FIT IN A STANDARD TRUNION. I HAVE STARED AT MY 308 BOLT AND STANDARD BOLTS FOR HOURS.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.