Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: PSL 308 conversion?

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

With .308 ammo costing what? five or TEN times as much as 7.62 x 54 ammo, I don't see how a difficult & expensive conversion will make up for the price of a few mags. Keep in mind the PSL mags come & go. Don't be surprised if half way through your build they come back to four in a pouch for $100.00.
    Mutt builds are cool no doubt. I have all the parts in a box buried in the kit pile to try a PSL in 30-06 using BAR mags.......someday......if I live that long!..Heh...heh
    Either way, good luck!

Brad
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
    In the original AK design, types 1 through 3, the right bolt lug is the recoil lug. The left lug is designed only to turn the bolt. The right bolt lug in the Yugo 308, Valmet 308 and 8 mm M76 is much larger than the a standard AK bolt. When the AKM was designed, the left lug was then used to share the recoil with the right bolt lug. Then in the AK-74 the right bolt lug was made larger and stronger than the previous 7.62 bolt designs. The Russia n 308 three lug info is not just rumor. It is done in both the 308 Vepr and the 308 Saiga. That is not just by chance. The magazines and some other designs of the two Russian rifles do not interchange. They both went to three lug bolts in order to pass CIP proof testing which was only a recent requirement in western Europe at the time.
    As I have said over and over in this thread the 8MM M76 has the same lug dimensions as the M70. The bolt for the M76 is not the same one used in the M77 .308 or the older M90 .308 rifles. For your viewing pleasure.
    Virgin Polish AK74 bolt, PSL bolt, 8mm M76 bolt and M70 bolt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Excellent side by side comparison Tank. Thanks for posting those.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

That is a very good side by side. Res. quality is good the zoom is clear. Do you have a AK 47 bolt with extractor that you can post also. I dont have one or I would not ask. Lying down so I can see the bolt face if I might be picky. Thanks Brad

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by mrtank View Post
    As I have said over and over in this thread the 8MM M76 has the same lug dimensions as the M70. The bolt for the M76 is not the same one used in the M77 .308 or the older M90 .308 rifles. For your viewing pleasure.
    Virgin Polish AK74 bolt, PSL bolt, 8mm M76 bolt and M70 bolt.
    Yes I know the M76 bolt is different from the M77 bolt. The M77 bolt head is larger and is very similar to the Valmet 308 bolt.

Feedback Score

I have only posted in regards to the 8mm Mauser M76 bolt dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by gasngo View Post
    That is a very good side by side. Res. quality is good the zoom is clear. Do you have a AK 47 bolt with extractor that you can post also. I dont have one or I would not ask. Lying down so I can see the bolt face if I might be picky. Thanks Brad
    Did you mean to say AK74 bolt? If not the M70 bolt is a spitting image for the type 2 and 3 AK47 bolts. The later large stem bolts (AKM, Stamped M70, ect)will have scallop relief cuts in the stem. After that they swapped to the narrow stem bolts for the AK74 and AK100s.

In the pictures the first bolt is a Polish 5.54x39, second is a 7.62x54r PSL, third is 8x57(7.92x57mm) M76, and the last is from a milled M70 in 7.62x39.

Feedback Score

Got ya still learning model #s. I was interested in the extractor design only as compared to the PSL. Still working on the 308 conversion and comparing. Thanks Brad

Feedback Score

The two lug 308 bolts aren't known for instantly failing. The Russians had a issue with the then new mandatory CIP 125 percent proof testing. I know somebody that made a 308 AK using a Cold Steel solutions M70 blank, an M70 parts kit and barrel and a 308 Galil bolt. He positioned the trigger guard and magazine back in the receiver similar to a 308 Galil instead of cutting the trunnion for a standard position magazine placement. He reamed the M70 barrel for 308 Winchester. I think he said he to cut the trunnion to clear or feed the cartridges. I'm not sure where this cutting was on the trunnion or if it was to clear the cartridge width or to somehow clear the 308 Galil magazine he used. I don't think I'd try it with an AKM trunnion.

Feedback Score

The two lug 308 bolts aren't known for instantly failing. The Russians had a issue with the then new mandatory CIP 125 percent proof testing. I know somebody that made a 308 AK using a Cold Steel solutions M70 blank, an M70 parts kit and barrel and a 308 Galil bolt. He positioned the trigger guard and magazine back in the receiver similar to a 308 Galil instead of cutting the trunnion for a standard position magazine placement. He reamed the M70 barrel for 308 Winchester. I think he said he to cut the trunnion to clear or feed the cartridges. I'm not sure where this cutting was on the trunnion or if it was to clear the cartridge width or to somehow clear the 308 Galil magazine he used. I don't think I'd try it with an AKM trunnion.

Feedback Score

Im still on the fence with my psl build. The pressure from a .308 150gr. is not mutch more than a 7.62x54 so the boldt lug issue is not that bad. What is holding me back is the boldt face dia. and the extractor. I have a .308 and a x54 barrel with some mags for bolth I just need some body to shake the fence. Muttman.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.