Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: PSL 308 conversion?

Feedback Score

Default PSL 308 conversion?

Ok I ordered a PSL from Apex. Its the 4th July special. $ 289. I know that its still up there but at some time I think they will be pretty scarce. I cant tell a lie I also posted on the WG. I can get the barrel chambered for 308. The mags for the Psl are a little pricey side. I thought I would investigate the conversion option. What mod does the bolt need [rim verse no rim] and could you use a different mag or is this far fetched. Any input is welcome. Thanks Brad.

P.S. Im still a loyal Gunco member.

Feedback Score

The Yugoslavian 8 mm M76 bolt is a perfect fit. Get one in good condition that doesn't have an eroded firing pin hole. Maybe an M76 bolt carrier too but that may not be needed. The ejector tip will need to be extended in the receiver. The Soviet RPK manual calls for a weld filler that cools to a minimum hardness of Rockwell 40 C in repairing the ejector with welding. The plastic 308 PSL magazines are not very good quality. 308 Galil magazines can be made to fit the 308 PSL but I don't know what mods would be required of the 7.62x54R receiver for 308 magazines.

Feedback Score

Thats one of the things I found I either read it wrong or something because I thought I saw that the M76 would not work with the PSL trunnion? Ill be using a CS 80% receiver so the mag idea has a little room to work I hope. The Whole purpose of the 308 other than the PSL mags are expensive is that the 308 is very popular and lot of load data etc etc. The budget theme might get pitched out on the build. A Follow up on the M76 in the works. Brad

My mistake the M76 does fit. That would make the most sense. Lets look at budget.
    Last edited by gasngo; 07-06-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Correction

Feedback Score

There are now aftermarket 308 Vepr magazines available. These are similar to 308 Galil magazines. Make sure to get Vepr magazines and not Saiga magazines. The 308 Saiga magazines feed completely differently and won't work in other 308 AK designs. The 308 Vepr magazine has a more conventional design.

Feedback Score

Thats good advise. It looks very close and cost plus availability is good. The M 76 bolt idea is on the cost side of things but not impossible. I have seen a insert placed into the bolt and fitted for the shell size [with welding] The Ak 47 extractor seems to be the next ? will it work with a a little attention. Should of had one put in the box with the kit but I was not thinking Cal. change at the time.

Feedback Score

I think the M76 bolt will work in the PSL bolt carrier. They are the same length and I'm guessing the cams are the same size. Many M76 bolts have badly eroded firing pin holes caused by leaky primer pockets in 1950's Yugoslavian 8 mm ammunition. This causes a lot of problems with primers going in the hole and firing pins protruding too much and piercing primers. A good M76 bolt used with good ammunition should last though.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

if it helps I have a fal barrel that was reamed a bit deep, it could make a great barrel for your conversation, the bore is excellent
    let me know
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Thanks Sprat I have the barrel part lined up. If you still have it in future I think it would be a great Idea. I started this plan with the PSL kits on sale and Mike at WG willing to make a batch of barrels. For those who wanted one. I thought these things are getting harder to find so I would go with it. As I look at the PSL mag prices and the fact that they will be harder to find some day I thought of the 308 switch. Its doable and probably cost more than I intended but its only money right. Anyways Im all for any input. The parts kit will be here next week and Ill get a chance to look at and what it will take to either work the bolt or locate a good M76.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
    There are now aftermarket 308 Vepr magazines available. These are similar to 308 Galil magazines. Make sure to get Vepr magazines and not Saiga magazines. The 308 Saiga magazines feed completely differently and won't work in other 308 AK designs. The 308 Vepr magazine has a more conventional design.

I make the ribbed steel mags for both the saiga and vepr .308s.

The Saiga mag actually feeds higher and could be the better choice.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by csspecs View Post
    I make the ribbed steel mags for both the saiga and vepr .308s.

The Saiga mag actually feeds higher and could be the better choice.
    The Saiga magazine doesn't match up with any other trunnion / barrel very well if at all. The Vepr design is the classic 308 AK design. The Saiga magazine has a narrower opening which might not clear the wider PSL bolt carrier bottom. The Saiga magazine would require the rifle be designed around it and would lock the magazine choice. The Vepr magazine is a much more common design and is most similar to military 7.62x51 magazines in design.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.