Gunco Forums banner

PSL 308 conversion?

25K views 61 replies 19 participants last post by  patjsimpson 
#1 ·
Ok I ordered a PSL from Apex. Its the 4th July special. $ 289. I know that its still up there but at some time I think they will be pretty scarce. I cant tell a lie I also posted on the WG. I can get the barrel chambered for 308. The mags for the Psl are a little pricey side. I thought I would investigate the conversion option. What mod does the bolt need [rim verse no rim] and could you use a different mag or is this far fetched. Any input is welcome. Thanks Brad.

P.S. Im still a loyal Gunco member.

#2 ·
The Yugoslavian 8 mm M76 bolt is a perfect fit. Get one in good condition that doesn't have an eroded firing pin hole. Maybe an M76 bolt carrier too but that may not be needed. The ejector tip will need to be extended in the receiver. The Soviet RPK manual calls for a weld filler that cools to a minimum hardness of Rockwell 40 C in repairing the ejector with welding. The plastic 308 PSL magazines are not very good quality. 308 Galil magazines can be made to fit the 308 PSL but I don't know what mods would be required of the 7.62x54R receiver for 308 magazines.

#3 · (Edited)
Thats one of the things I found I either read it wrong or something because I thought I saw that the M76 would not work with the PSL trunnion? Ill be using a CS 80% receiver so the mag idea has a little room to work I hope. The Whole purpose of the 308 other than the PSL mags are expensive is that the 308 is very popular and lot of load data etc etc. The budget theme might get pitched out on the build. A Follow up on the M76 in the works. Brad

My mistake the M76 does fit. That would make the most sense. Lets look at budget.

#4 ·
There are now aftermarket 308 Vepr magazines available. These are similar to 308 Galil magazines. Make sure to get Vepr magazines and not Saiga magazines. The 308 Saiga magazines feed completely differently and won't work in other 308 AK designs. The 308 Vepr magazine has a more conventional design.

#5 ·
Thats good advise. It looks very close and cost plus availability is good. The M 76 bolt idea is on the cost side of things but not impossible. I have seen a insert placed into the bolt and fitted for the shell size [with welding] The Ak 47 extractor seems to be the next ? will it work with a a little attention. Should of had one put in the box with the kit but I was not thinking Cal. change at the time.

#6 ·
I think the M76 bolt will work in the PSL bolt carrier. They are the same length and I'm guessing the cams are the same size. Many M76 bolts have badly eroded firing pin holes caused by leaky primer pockets in 1950's Yugoslavian 8 mm ammunition. This causes a lot of problems with primers going in the hole and firing pins protruding too much and piercing primers. A good M76 bolt used with good ammunition should last though.

#8 ·
Thanks Sprat I have the barrel part lined up. If you still have it in future I think it would be a great Idea. I started this plan with the PSL kits on sale and Mike at WG willing to make a batch of barrels. For those who wanted one. I thought these things are getting harder to find so I would go with it. As I look at the PSL mag prices and the fact that they will be harder to find some day I thought of the 308 switch. Its doable and probably cost more than I intended but its only money right. Anyways Im all for any input. The parts kit will be here next week and Ill get a chance to look at and what it will take to either work the bolt or locate a good M76.

#12 ·
OK YOU SPENT $289 FOR A KIT. YOU WILL NEED A RECIVER $75 A DIFFERQNT BOLT THAT IS LIKLEY EXPENSIVE. HOW MUCH IS A M76 BOLT? YOU WILL NEED A BARREL FITTED AN YOU WILL NEED SPECIAL MAGS. IM GUESSIN YOUR LOOKING A WELL OVER $600 TO BUILD A GUN THAT WONT OUT PERFORM THE X54R AND ITS GOING TO COST MORE THAN A PROVEN 3 LUG SAGIA 308???????????? HMMMMMMMM NOT SURE THIS IS THE WAY TO GO UNLESS YOU JUST LIKE THE LOOKS OF A PSL.

ID STICK WITH THE CHEAPER TO SHOOT X54 THAT CAN OUT DO THE 308 IF LOADED RIGHT AN RUN STOCK MAGS.

IMO IMO IMO .

NOW THAT WE GOT THAT OUT OF THE WAY LETS SEE WHAT WILL WORK AN WONT.

#13 ·
Before spending the money on an M76 bolt, maybe ask in the "general ak" area if someone that owns one can take some basic measurements so you can compare it to the PSL bolt

#14 ·
If I can get some time this weekend I can take some measurements of the PSL vs M76 bolts.

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help. Biggun your are correct I am spending more money than I should. I do like the PSL and Im using a 80 receiver. This will most likely be the only one I ever do. No doubt it will add up. I think retaining the PSL bolt with mods will be the way I go. I have access to some machines and and someone who likes Beer. Its always a fair trade Beer for services IMO. 2Nd if and when you get a chance Ill right the numbers down. Im sure they will come in handy. I have case specs in my Lyman book that will help also.

#16 ·
The big ticket item would be the barrel. I had both an M76 parts kit and a PSL parts kit at the same time. I didn't measure them but I did compare them. The sizing of the parts seemed to be exactly the same. The factory 308 PSL's have a super cheap plastic magazines that doesn't work well and breaks easily. The 308 Galil magazines cn be fitted to both the 308 Vepr and the 308 PSL with only minor fitting mods to the magazine. It is not a design that would work in a 308 Saiga.

#17 ·
A 308 WIN BARREL IS AS CLOSE AS A REMINGTON 700 TAKE BARREL AN A LATHE.

IM NOT SURE WHAT IS INVOLVED IN MODING THE BOLT BUT WELDING IN SLEAVES IS NOT AN OPTION.

ARE YOU DEAD SET ON HAVING IT IN 308 WIN??

IF YOU WANTED 308 PERFORMANCE AN TO BE ABLE TO POSSABLY USE THAT BOLT FACE THERE ARE A FEW OPTIONS. 307 WUNCHESTER IS A RIMMED 308 WINCHESTER AND USES THE SAME DIES.

I CONSIDERED THE BRASS WHEN CONTEMPLATING A 6.5MM PSL. ONE COULD SIMPLY USE 260 REM DIES TO GET A RIMMED 6.5 ROUND. I NEVER COMPARED THE RIM SIZE TO THE X54R. ITS JUST EASIER AN CHEAPEWR TO BUILD A 308 sAIGA INTO A 260 REM.

THERE IS NO REAL CHEAP 308 AMMO SO I DONT SEE THE ADVANTAGE OF A 308 WIN PSL. AN THE X5R IS JUST AS GOOD OR BETTER AS IS. ????

#18 ·
I'd also stick with 7.62x54, why mess around with if and maybes, just build it like it was intended and you have your self a cheap to shoot mule that will run run run..I've got a carbine 54 and I've had the psl, both of them were very accurate in my case with surplus ammo.
If you want a 308 just do up a saiga, have both!

#19 ·
This is why the forums are here. All options and opinions are on the table. I have not settled on the final build yet. I do feel the 308 will provide a reliable and versatile round. When the kit gets here Ill be able to study the bolt and get a better feel for the road ahead. By the way If you did not go to the funny section and read the post I sent about the Electric Fence. Its Damm Funny Thanks Brad.

#20 ·
I thing there are two ways to convert the psl bolt for a rimless round. 1. extend the extractor and leave the rim unsupported like on the lee-enfields or machine off the lip that supports the 54r rim, and counter bore the center of the bolt in a similar way that some mosin's are done to convert to 30-06/ 308

#21 ·
There is one more way to convert the larger bolt face to a small rimless cartridge head.... Leave the face alone and simply mod the extractor (as I have mentioned before for the 7.62x39mm to 5.56mm change.

The modified extractor not only grabs the smaller diameter rimless brass but it also shoves it sideways slightly upon extraction into the ejector. No need to mod the ejector either.

VD

#22 ·
I have a thread at WG where I'm doing one in 8mm mauser. I did tack weld a reducer ring into the bolt face. I know folks are gonna say thats a no-no, but I can garantee I didnt get it hot enough to draw the temper of the bolt head. Flame on!

#23 ·
There is one more way to convert the larger bolt face to a small rimless cartridge head.... Leave the face alone and simply mod the extractor (as I have mentioned before for the 7.62x39mm to 5.56mm change.

The modified extractor not only grabs the smaller diameter rimless brass but it also shoves it sideways slightly upon extraction into the ejector. No need to mod the ejector either.

VD
WAS AS THINKNG THAT AS WELL.

I SEE THERE ARE BOLTS AROUND FOR $50 STIPPED IN X54R I REALL NEED MONEY TO GET SOEM OF THIS STUFF WHILE ITS THERE.

I have a thread at WG where I'm doing one in 8mm mauser. I did tack weld a reducer ring into the bolt face. I know folks are gonna say thats a no-no, but I can garantee I didnt get it hot enough to draw the temper of the bolt head. Flame on!
NEED TO GET ON THAT SITE MORE SOME REALLY TALENTED PEOPLE THERE.
ILL JUST BITE MY TOUNG AND SAY THERE ARE THOSE WHO KNOW HOW TO WELD AND THOSE WHO DONT.

#24 ·
BIG G there talented people here also! Including you. Kit arrived and heres a pic laid out. I will admit this is a very good kit. No major wear, dents or other.
Im tempted to call and see if they will honor one more at that price? Unless I cant convert the bolt 308 it is. The barrel length will not be full but I think around 22 inches will do the job and still keep it some what compact.

Attachments

#25 ·
Could start with a AK74/AK100 bolt, Lengthen the stem and make a longer firing pin. Re shape the extractor and open up the bolt face. Pookie did exactly that, but used a AKM bolt. Pookie's build thread of a 6.5x55mm psl type rifle is over here. The AK74/AK100 bolt has a little more meat. To use the AK74/AK100 bolt you would have to sleeve the carrier down the the smaller stem diameter. After that it is magazines and the CSspec stamped magazines are very visually appealing to me...

#27 ·
It isn't very cut and dry.

7.62x54r will run at a lower pressure than 308, but has a larger case head.

Galil 308s used a standard lug dimension bolt. The M76s also used the same lug distentions as the M70s. The 308 PSLs used a bolt with the same lug dimensions as the 7.62x54r bolt and that has the same lug dimensions as the standard 7.62x39 bolt.The 308 M90s used a longer two lug bolt. The 308 Saiga and 308 and 7.62x54r Vepr rifles use a 3 lug bolt.

#28 ·
good stuff here guys yes there are some good people here who know what they doing i know cause I am a memebr and comment on the other sites. one knows when others have talent and there plenty here

great thread

sprat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.