Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FN 5.7X28

Feedback Score

Default FN 5.7X28

Has anyone ever kicked aroud the idea of using the FN cartridge. It seems like a good round but no one seems to talk about it for re-chambering.
    Jones762
    Sacramento, Cal.

Miracle Machine Works
    "If it's a good part-- it's a MIRACLE".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

In civillian legal form, there ain't much going for it other than the arms it is chambered in. The pistol and matching P90 are sexy guns, but the ballistics are not much better than a .22 magnum. Ammo costs twice as much at least, and you ain't buying it at WallyWorld.

5.7x28mm "Cop Killer" Cartridge Myth

"A comparison of the performance of the .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR), introduced in 1959, and the 5.7x28mm is interesting. The .22 WMR shares the same bullet diameter (.224") as the 5.7x28mm cartridge and their muzzle and energy figures are actually rather similar.
    Winchester's Supreme .22 WMR loaded with a 34 grain jacketed hollow point bullet has a muzzle velocity of 2120 fps and muzzle energy of 339 ft. lbs. from a (presumably 24") rifle barrel and a muzzle velocity of 1690 fps with 216 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy from a 6.5" pistol barrel. (That is just a hair over 20% velocity loss.)
    Winchester's Super-X .22 WMR 40 grain jacketed hollow point (JHP) and full metal jacket (FMJ) bullets--Winchester offers both--have a MV of 1910 fps with ME of 324 ft. lbs. from a rifle barrel. Fired from a 6.5" pistol barrel the same loads register 1480 fps MV and 195 ft. lbs. ME. Note that rifle ballistics of this load are nearly identical to the 40 grain 5.7x28mm factory load as fired from a sub-machinegun length barrel and from a pistol barrel the 5.7x28mm is only a puny 21 ft. lbs. of kinetic energy ahead of the .22 WMR. I have never heard that semi-automatic .22 WMR squirrel and jackrabbit rifles were considered a particular threat to police, nor have I ever heard the .22 WMR described as a "cop killer" handgun round. Actually, the .22 WMR is considered a "mouse gun" caliber by most handgun authorities.
    Frankly, I know of few individuals who would be willing to spend more than $900.00 for the FN Five-seveN pistol and then shell out more than $20 for a 50 round box of ammunition. (.22 WMR ammo commonly sells for $7-$8 for a 50 round box.) I imagine that the Five-seveN probably also fails to spark much interest with criminals, as these pistols are rare and thus almost impossible to acquire except from legitimate, FFL dealers. Typically, the criminal element usually relies on the availability of larger (9x19mm, for instance), more effective calibers that can be easily acquired in the stolen gun market.
    This leaves us with the obvious conclusion that the 5.7x28mm cartridge has little advantage over the .22 WMR in terms of killing power and serious disadvantages in terms of the price and availability of both firearms and ammunition. Without doubt, being shot with either can have deadly results, but there are much greater threats and more important things with which to be concerned."

Feedback Score

I did not reads KKrinks full sentence but it. a cool idea. I have a Five Seven The real nogo factor is the ammo is not cheap. 28 Plus a box o ammo does not lead into the concept of home built economical world. All though if you have the coin I would like to see something like that. Hell I would like to see a AK in 338 lapua POW.

Feedback Score

Good points Kernel. My mistake is; I keep thinking like a law-abiding citizen.
    True about availability too. When I was working at a friend's gun shop, there wasn't a two or three day span during which some low-life didn't come in looking for Raven or Lorcin mags or parts. The "morally-challenged" will pack and shoot whatever they can lay their hands on.

This all comes from me thinking that a scaled-down AK, using a cartridge that's proportional to the 7.62X39mm round, would be a neat project.
    Kinda like an AK-47 boy's gun.
    Jones762
    Sacramento, Cal.

Miracle Machine Works

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jones762 View Post
    Good points Kernel. My mistake is; I keep thinking like a law-abiding citizen.
    True about availability too. When I was working at a friend's gun shop, there wasn't a two or three day span during which some low-life didn't come in looking for Raven or Lorcin mags or parts. The "morally-challenged" will pack and shoot whatever they can lay their hands on.

This all comes from me thinking that a scaled-down AK, using a cartridge that's proportional to the 7.62X39mm round, would be a neat project.
    Kinda like an AK-47 boy's gun.
    That's why I do a lot of my builds. Not because they're necessarily practical, but because I can, and it's fun building something different. I personally have thought about this caliber as well, and say "go for it"!!!
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

That's the trouble about being retired, having skills at hand, and an active imagination.
    Small necked cartridges like the .17 Mach 2 or the .17 HMR on the small end up, to the five seven or the 5.56 or 5.45X39 beg to have "boy's guns" designed around them.
    Practical?!? Who wants practical when there are so many fun projects out there.

Miniatures done so far are an M12 (a scaled down Mac 10 or 11 using the ratio between its .25 Auto cartridge and a .45ACP or 9mm.
    A 106 Recoilless scaled to use a 12ga single shot barrel (that one was fun because of the interrupted thread breech block).
    Both work and are real attention getters as a table-top display.

Now that I need glasses and tiny parts seem even tinier, I'm currently 80% through a full-sized "Commercial Model of 1885" Gatling in 45-70.

A boy's gotta have a hobby, right?
    Jones762
    Sacramento, Cal.

Miracle Machine Works

Feedback Score

Well all I know is that it is a cute little round especially with the Hornaday polymer tipped bullets. It`s so cute in fact that I bought two boxes of ammo and two PS90 mags just to look at. I don`t own anything to use the rounds in or the mags on. Oh well, maybe a 5.7 AR upper ... someday.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ITS A NEAT ROUND HO EVER THERE ARE A FEW OTHER SMALL .223 CAL ROUNDS AS WELL THAT ARE LIKELY JUST AS GOOD ON A AK

THE 17 AN 22 FIRE BALL COME TO MIND. TH IS ALSO THE 22 HORNET.

IS LIKELY A DOABLE ROUND FOR A CONVERSION. IM NO SURE IF A GAS OP OR A BLOW BACK WOULD BE THE BEST BRASS WOULD HAVE TO REALLY DROP IN PRICE ATHENTHEREIS OK WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR OVER MY 223 OR 5.45 X39 AN IFYOU SAY FOR SMALER STUFF OR WHEN YOU DONT WANT AS MUCH AS A 223 ILL SAY NO PROBLEM ILL JUST DOWN LOAD THE 223 TO MATCH.

I THINK THAT ROUND N A BOLT ACTON WOULD BE COOL AN HAVE A BETTER CHANCE.

TAKE ONE OF THOSE SAVAGE 17 HMRS AND UP SCALE IT A BIT ANYOUWOULDHVE GREAT LITTTE 150 YARD ROUND GUN.

Feedback Score

No telling what the best cartridge is since everybody has their favorites. Regardless, there's sure a bunch to choose from.

Hey 1biggun, email or PM me. I had some ideas on your project.
    Jones762
    Sacramento, Cal.

Miracle Machine Works

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yes I've looked into this caliber. I have a thread on it but am too tired to go looking for it. You'll be cutting up a receiver because you'll need the space on the bottom to get the magazines to reach. I talked over some of the issues on that thread. Biggest issue to me would be getting the proper bolt. That cartridge is unique and will need some serious bolt work done (a sleeve perhaps) to get a working solution. Or just get a brand-new bolt cut.

Lots of work no matter how you slice it.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.