Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SHORTEND 7.62X54R CHAMBER FOR AK 47.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

trying to see if the picture thing is working yet

nope still dont work ;(

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

WELL TRY THIS. HOLLY CRAP FINALY AFTER 20 TRIES ON THE SAME PICTURE.

ANY WAY HERE IS WHAT YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET WITH A SHORTEND
    54R CHAMBER AN SHORTENED DIES AN SWEDE BRASS. LIKELY WILL HAVE TO FIRE FORM THE BRASS AS WELL.

THE CASE IS MUCH BIGGER BUT THE THE NECK IS REALLY LONG ALSO . NO IDEA WHAT YOU WOULD GAIN BUT IT WOULD A INTERESTING PROJECT.

ANY WAY ITS INTERESTING AN THE ROUNDS MIGHT WORK IN A STANDARD AK MAG AT LEAST THE TAPER IS ABOUT THE SAME.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Bg,
    After rereading your post here, a different case to ponder over, 35rem. The head will fit the boldt, can be forms to fit the shape you want. just a idea. Muttman

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

35 remington has a .457" base so Im not sure what It form into that would be usefull??

i have looked at that round as is for a AK build an it would work fine. i ended up getting a 358 reamer an figured since I had to reload any way id go that route an reform 7.62x51 nato brass or 308.

Im not sure what would be gained if you made a 1.5" case out of that round in 30 cal. you might pick up a few grains of capacity over the x39 case but there is already a 308 barnes an 30BR round out there.

I dont think the 35 culd be used in x54 chamber cut down?

what was your Idea??

Feedback Score

That reminds me there is the Czech 7.62x45. Same case head as the 7.62x39, the over all length is close to .223, though there is some variance depending on where you get your information. It necked down to 7mm 6.5mm or 6mm would be interesting.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the jap round is the same head as well but the case is much longer.

IMO THE QUESTION IS WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO GAIN WHEN DOING A WILD CAT??

IT EITHER NEEDS TO BE MORE ACCURACY OR POWER OR CHEAPER TO SHOOT OR FIT A EXISTING GUNS RESTRICTUIONS.

IF YOUR GOING TO DO A AK BUILD THE MAG WELL IS RESTICTED ONKY IF YOU STICK WITH FACTORY MAGS. IF YOUR NOT GOING TO STAY WITH THEM THEN THERE ARE A LOT OF ALREADY GOOD ROUNDS OUT THERE WITH DIES ALREADY MADE. THE 308 WIN PARENT BRASS IS GOING TO DO PRETTY MUCH ANY THING YOU WILL EVER NEED IN ONE FORM OR THE OTHER. THE BRASS IS CHEAP AN ALL THAT. USING A OBSCURE HARD TO GET ROUND FOR A BRASS SOURCE THAT WILL NOT GAIN YOU ANYHTING IS NOT A GOOD WAY TO GO.

I PROPOSED THE 1.5"- 54R BECASUE IT COULD BE DONE POSSABLY WITH A CHEAP EXISTING BARREL CUT DOWN AT THE CHAMBER MODIFED CHEAP TO GET DIES AN WOULD POSSABLY USE 6.5X55 BRASS . THE ROUND WOULD LIKEY GIVE YOU A INCREASE IN CASE CAPAICATY AN A POWER GAIN IN A STANDARD MAG LENGTH.

I DONT LIKE THE ROUND FOR A COUPLE REASONS THE MAIN ONE IS THE THE THROAT ANGLE IS NOT SHARP ENOUGH AN THE NECK IS WAY TO LONG. THIS TAKES AWAY LOTS OF CASE CAPACITY. ITS LIKELY A VERY DOAPLE ROUND IT WOULD CAST ABOUT $20 FOR A 7.62X54 SIZING DIE AN TAKE A FEW MINUTES WITH CUT OFF WHEEL IN A DIEW GRINDER TO CUT IT DOWN TO SEE IF THE BARASS WOULD FORM OK OR NOT. IM BETTING THE BRASS WOULD NEED TO BE FIRE FORMED BUT IT LIKELY COULD BE DONE. MY GUESS IS IF THE ROUND CAN BE DONE IT WOULD GIVE YOU ABOUT 2500 FPS WITH A 125 GRAIN BULLET ( JUST A GUESS IT MIGHT BE MORE)

TO SEE WHAT HE ROUND WOULD LOOK LIKE TAKE A X54R CASE AN REMOVE THE BOTTOM UNTILL YOU GET TO ABOUT 1.50" LONG AN ENVISION A RIM ON THE END.

NOW IF ONE TOOK A 6.5 CASE AN MADE A WHOLE NEW ROUND THAT LOOKED LIKE A 30 BR OR EVEN A 6MM BR BUT JUST A LITTEL BIGGER OD IT WOULD GIVE YOU A PRETTY COOL WILD CAT. YOU MIGHT GAIN A GRAIN OR TWO OVER THE BENCH REST OR BARNES ROUND BUT IT WOULD TAKE A $135 FINISH REAMER, AN A CUSTOM DIE SET.

Feedback Score

Bg, I see your point. The idea for me was to use the neck down 35 rem case to make a 6 or 7.62 mm boldt gun. The hole thing started for me with the 9x54r from way back. I need to rethunk what I want to gain. Muttman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.