Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 6mm BENCH REST

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I havnt read all the post but a 6.5 bullet in a 7.62x39 case ran through a 6.5 grendel die looks promissing. I was fooling with this 2 years ago trying to get someone to build on a sks platform.

JUST GET A 6MM BEGGS DIE AN USE A 6.5MM BUSHING AN EXPANDER. THE 20,22,6MM AN 6.5MM ALL USE THE SAME DIE BODY AS FAR AS I CAN TELL. THE ROUND IS JUST A X39 CASE WITH A SLIGHT RADIOUS CHANGE ON THE SHOULDER LINES TO STOP CASE STRETCH.

I RAN A X39 CASE THROUGH MY 6MM BR DIES AN IT GAVE ME A 6MM VERSION BUT THE CASE LOOKED SIDTORTED DUE TO NOT BEING SUPPORTED WHEN SIZING.

THE GRENDAL HAS THE SHOULDER BLOWN FORWARD THE CASE IS MUCH STRAIGHTER AN THE SHOULDER ANGLE IS DIFFERAT OVER A NORMAL X39 CASE.

IM WORKING WITH DAVE AT PACIFIC TOOL RIGHT NOW ON A 6MM X 43MM REAMER DESIGN THAT WILL BASICAL BE A 6MM BR THAT HAS THE SHOULDER MOVED FORWARD .200 APROX . IT WILL HOLD 100 GRAIN HUNTING BULLETS IN A STANDARD AK 74 OR POSSABLY AK47 MAG WELL IF SEATED IN. iM EXPECTING OVER 3100 fps OR SO . THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN . iLL BE ABLE TO LENGTHEN THE FREE BORE AN SHOOT 107 VLD BULLETS AS WELL IN A FAST TWIST BARREL ALOS . THIS WILL BE LIKE A 6MM BR MAG OR A 6MMX47LUPIA SHORT. IM TRYING TO MAKE IT SO I CAN USE STANDARD 6MM BR DIES . I WILL BE ABLE TO USE 6MMX47 BRASS IF i WANT BENCH REST BRASS OR I CAN USE CUT DOWN 308/ 7.62X51 , 30-06, 243, 8MM, 7X57, ETC BRASS AS LONG AS ITS AROUND .470" AT THE BASE.

ILL BE ABLE TO FULL LENGTH RESIZE BY RUNNING THE CASE IN A 308 DIE OR SIMULAR THEN AGAIN IN A 6MM BR DIE SHIMED OR ADJUSTED UP .200" THE 308 DIE WILL RESIZE THE LAST .002" IF NEEDED. BRX SHOOTERS REPORT NOT NEEDING TO DO THIS EVERY TIME.

IM GOING TO ORDER A REAMER VERY SOON. IF IT WORKS AN FEEDS WELL THERE WILL BE A 6.5 MM , AN A .30" VERSION ALSO.

THE 30 BR IS RULING CERTAIN CLASSES IN BR RIGHT NOW AN ITS WILL OUT PERFORM A 7.62X39 BY ABOUT 200+FPS. IT WOULD BE LIKE 7.62X39 MAGNUM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

THE TRICK TO ALL OF THIS IS GETTING THE SHOULDER AS FAR FORWARD AN THE NECK LONG ENOUGH TO HOLD A BULLET CORREECTLY THAT WILL WORK IN A AUTO LOADER AN STILL GET IT WITH A CORRECTLY SEATED BULLET TO ALL FIT IN THE MAG.

A 6MMX223 USES A 45MM CASE AN HOLDS A 6MM BULLET IN A AR MAG. THE PROBLEM IS YOU CANT SEAT TE BULLETS FULLY OUT AN THE CASE IS TO SMALL CAPACITY WISE. IM TRYING TO GET AROUND 43 GRAINS OF CAPACITY. THATS ABOUT 3.5 LESS THAN A 22-250 AN 10 GRAINS MORE THAN A 7.62X39. ALL IN THE RIGHT CONFIGURATION.

I PLAN ON THIS ROUND BLOWING THE 6.5 GRENDEL AWAY AT 500 YARDS. IT SHOULD BEAT THE 6MMARTURBO ( 6MM GRENDEL WITH A 40 NECK BLOWN FORWRD) BU AT LEAST 150 FPS OR MORE. IT SHOULD BE SLIGHTLY LESS THAN A 243 WIN BUT WIOHT A LOT BETTER BARREL LIFE. THE BMM BR IS VERY EFFECIANT AN I EXPECT THIS TO BE ALSO .

KEEP IN MIND THIS IS GOING TO BE A BOLT ACTION ROUND ALSO. BENCH REST GUN WITH A SHOT OUT BARREL WAITING FOR THIS TO GET DONE. IT WILL SHOOT 65,000 PSI LOADS WERE IM GOING TO LIMIT THE AK TO MUCH LESS.

THERE ARE GUYS SHOOOTING THE 6MM BRX IN AR,S IN COMPITION I EXPECT THIS TO TO BETTER SPEED WISE WITH THE SAME PRESSURE.

THERE WILL BE A CUSTOM STRETCHED MAG AK THAT SHOOTS THE VLD BULLETS ALSO BUT THATA ANOTHER STORY. IM LOOKING A SECTIONED G3 MAG WITH A CUSTOM FRONT END. SHOULD BE EASY TO DO. I HAVE ALREADY CUT AN EXTENDED AK 223 MAGS FOR LONGER OAL HEAVY BULLETS. AN THOSE MAGS MAY WORKFOR MY NEW ROUND ( YET TO BE NAMED).

IM THINKING THE 6MM BG OR THE 6MM RM ONES AFTER MY SCREEN NAME ONES MY INITALS .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I REALLY WISH I HAD SOME LUPIA 6X47 BRASS TOPLAY WITH TO FINALIZE THE NECK OD.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Often those rare brass turn out to be well over $1 a case.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

MOST OF THE LUPIA BRASS IS ABOUT 85 CENTS OR MORE .

THE 6X47 IS JUST A NECKED DOWN 6.5X47. ITS AVALIABLE BUT EXPENSIVE.

I CAN USE OTHER GOOD BRASS SOURCES LIKE HORNADY CREEDMORE, NORMA, REMINGTON 308 BR IF YOU CAN FIND IT. MY MAIN PLAN IS TO BE ABLE TO RESIZE COMMON BRASS LIKE 308, 30,06, 22-250 ETC. ANY THING WITH A .470 BASE.

MY PROBLEM IS I WANT TO BE ABLE TO USE A STANDARD DIE . IF I MAKE THIS SO A 6MM BR DIE SET WORKS TO RESIZE THEN THE CHAMBER STARTS GETTING BIG AT THE BREACH END/ CASE HEAD.

A UNFIRED 243 WIN CASE HAS A HEAD OF .465 IN NEW WIN BRASS

A 22-250 IN REM BRASS IS .460" NEW WIN BRASS

6MM REM IS .465 NEW BRASS.( REM)

ONCE FORED 308 OF .468.

IM LOOKING AT REAMER PRINTS FOR A 6MMBR , 6MM BRX AN THERE BOTH .472

SPEAKING WITH DAVE THE REAMER GETS BIGGER AFTER THE NORMAL STOPPING POINT.
    SO IF I GO IN AN ADDITION .200 WITH A 6MMBR OR 6MM BRK THAT IS GOING TO LEAVE AROUND A . .473-.475 CHAMBER AT THE BREACH. IMO THATS TO BIG.

I NEED TO GET SOME REAL WORLD 6MM BR BRASS TO MEASURE. IT SEEMS THAT THE CARTRIDGE DIGRAMS AN WHAT IS ACTUALY PRODUCED IS NOT THE SAME .

THE BOOKS SHOW A 308 CASE AT EVERY WERE FROM 4.65 TO .470 BUT IVE YET TO SEE A ACTUAL ROUND WITH A .470 CASE HEAD.

IF LUPIA BRASS IS THE SAME AN NOT REALLY .470 THEN I COULD REDUCE THE REAMER IN THE REAR SOME AN THIS WOULD ALLOW ME TO RUN IT IN DEEPER AN STILL BE OK.

TO ME IT LOOKS LIKE A STANDARD 6MMBR CHAMBER IS A LITTLE LOOSE FOR COMMERCAIL WIN AN REM BRASS ON THE CASE HEAD. IM GOING TO SPEAK TO DAVE AT PACIFIC AGAIN AN ASK WHAT IS ALLOWABLE FOR CLEARANCE ON THE CASE HEAD.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If the ultimate 1biggun monster magnum ....... won't work with a current die set, you can always make your own. the process isn't much different than making a threaded chambered blank only you will need to make (ideally) two more reamer blanks. a reloading die is really just a 7/8-14 hollow bolt (and bear with me on exact measurements as I'm still on some good back meds) that has been "chambered" with an undersized reamer,and another one of about chamber size that has an undersize crimping section in the neck, and an adjustable stem to seat the bullets. Then you'll have something that is truely unique to you for no other reason needed than "because I wanted to". Here's a set of bushing dies I made to reload a series of calibers with the same basic case body. A standard set would be much less work to complete and would be much simplier to make.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Here's a set of bushing dies I made to reload a series of calibers with the same basic case body. A standard set would be much less work to complete and would be much simplier to make.
    VERY NICE YOU DO GREAT WORK

I WAS LOOKING AT THE DIE BLANKS THAT PTG SELLS THERE PRETTY REASONABLE. THEY EVEN HAVE A SPECIAL WERE YOU GET A SIZING REAMER AN A BLANK. I THINK THEY HAVE BUSHING DIE BLANKS AS WELL. BUSHING DIE BLANKS WOULD ALLOW ME TO LOAD SEVERAL CALIBURS ON THE SAME BASIC BRASS.

A .22X43BR WOULD BE RIGHT UNDER A 22-250 WITH BETTER BARREL LIFE. A .308X43MM WOULD BE A GREAT HUNTING ROUND AN BETTER THE 30-30 CONSIDERABLY.

I REALLY WANT TO DO THIS ON A 6MMBR DIE SO ANYONE CAN MAKE AMMO IF i DECIDE TO SELL A FEW BARRELS.

IM THINKING A 6MM REMINGTON BR MIGHT BE THE THE WAY TO GO AS THE CASE HEAD DIA IS SMALLER. I COULD THEN RUN IT IN FURTHER AN STILL BE ABLE TO USE SOME BRASS.

I JUST SPENT ALMOST $100 ON DIES SO IT WPOULD BE NICE TO USE THEM.

IM GOING TO ORDER A REAMER TOMORROW. IM THINKING A REAMER WITH A VERY VERY MINIMAL CLEARANCE AT THE THE BASE IS THE TICKET. ILL BE ABLE TO RUN IT IN DEEPER AN STILL USE IT AS IS IN A BOLT GUN. iM THINKING A BRX REAMER WITH A SHORT THROAT FOR LIGHT BULLETS AN A SEPERATE THROATER AN POSSABLY A NECK REAMER IF NEEDED. I WANT TO BE SURE ILL HAVE ENOUGH NECK FOR A AUTO LOADER TO HOLD THE BULLET IN PLACE UNDER HARD FEEDING. IF IT ALL FAILS IN AN AK AT LEAST ILL HAVE A REAMER THAT WILL STILL DO 6MM BRX ON BR BRASS FOR A BOLT ACTION. I CAN ALWAYS OPEN THE REAR OF THE CHAMBER SLIGHTLY WITH A HONE OR REDUCE THE BRASS SLIGHTLY WITH A DIE IF NEEDED .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

WELL I HAVEA 6MM BRX REAMER ONT HE WAY WITH NO THROAT AN A TIGHT NECK.

I WANTED TO BE SURE THE REAMER I GOT WOULD MAKE A VERY ACCURATE BOLT ACTION. THIS WILL REQUIRE TURNED NECKS AN I WILL HAVE TO SET THE THROAT LENGTH AS NEEDED WITH A SECOND REAMER. THIS WILL ALLOW ME TO SET BARRELS UP FOR 55 GRAIN BULLETS ON UP TO 115.

I CAN ALSO MAKE THE NECK AREA BIGGER OD AN LONGER AS WELL WITH A SEPERATE REAMER.

THIS WILL GIVE ME A LOT OF VERSITILITY . ITS MORE ACCURATE HOW EVER TO DO IT ALL WITH ONE REAMER SO THERE IS SOME COMPERMISE.

THE REAMER WAS ON THE THE PTG SPECIALS PAGE AN IT WAS $88 WITH A REMOVABLE PILOT. SO I SAVED $55.

I PLAN TO RUN IT IN DEEPER THAN STANDARD AN INCREASE THE NECK LENGTH SET THE THROAT TO WHAT EVER BULLETS I WANT FOR A ROUND MADE FROM 308 WIN BRASS OR SIMULAR.

I WENT WITH A BRX REAMER AS IT HAS A SLIGHTLY LESS TAPER. THIS MEANS THE BREACH WILL NOT GET AS BIG WHEN I GO IN DEEPER THAN STANDARD.

IM THINKING A .175 IN PAST NORMAL I SHOULD HAVE ABOUT A .472 BASE. iM NOT SURE WHAT CAN GET AWAY WITH WHEN 308 BRASS IS ABOUT .468??

I HAVE ALSO CONSIDERED 6.5X55 SWISS BRASS AS IT HAS A LARGER CASE HEAD OF AROUND 475 TO 480 DEPENDING ON WHAT SPECS YOU READ.

6,5X55 BRASS WOULD ALLOW ME TO GO IN POSSABLY .200 OR EVEN MORE FOR A 43 OR 44MM LONG CASE.

I ALSO ORDERED A 6.5 AN .30 CAL PILOT TO TRY TO DO A 6.5 AN 30 CAL VERSION OFF OF THE SAME REAMER.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

IT THINK IM GOING TO INVEST IN A UNI THROATER FROM PTG IT WILL ALLOW MORE PERCISE CUTTING OF THE THROAT

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

WELL MY CUSTOM REAMER IS HERE .

IT WILL CUT A TIGHT NECK .269 REAMER WITH NO THROAT.

I ALSO ORDERED A 6.5MM AN .30 CAL PILOT FOR THIS HOPING I CAN CUT A 6.5 AN .308 VERSION AN NECK AN THRAOT SEPERATLY. IF NOTHING ELSE IT WILL ALLOW ME TO CUT A 30 DEGREE CROWN ON THOSE CALIBURS WITH IT.

I HAVENT ORDERED THE THROATER YET AN IM CONSIDERING A NO NECK TURN NECK REAMER AS WELL.

TIME TO GET TO BUILDING AN MAKING CHIPS.

THE REAMER WILL ALLOW ME TO USE STANDARD BR BRASS FLOWN FORWARD AS WELL AS HOPE FULLY CUT DOWN 308 BRASS FOR A EVEN LONGER VERSION WITH MORE NECK AS WELL.

ITS MY OWN DESIGN SO IM A LITTLE EXCITED TO SEE WHAT IT WILL DO. I NEED A CHRONIGRAPH, NECKER, THROATER , AN A REALLY HIGH END BARREL BLANK.

ILL BE USING 243WIN TAKE OFFS FROM MODEL 700 EMINGTON BLOT ACTIONS FOR INIATAL TESTING AN LOAD WORK UP. THERE CHEAP AN I HAVE A BUNCH.

WHEN USING 6MM LUPIA BRASS I WILL NEED TO FIRE FORM . SINCE THIS IS THE FIRST ROUTE IM GOING TO TAKE ILL HAVE TO COME UP WITH A CHAMBER THAT IS CORRECTLY HEAD SPACED. I SUSPOSE I CAN JUST INSTALL A BARREL AN BLOW SOME BRASS OUT AN SET MY DIES TO MATCH THE ROUND. WITH OUT HAVING A GO GUAGE OR ROUND IN HAND ITS GOING TO BE A GUESSING GAME AS TO HOW FAR TO INITALY REAM THE CHAMBER. I SUSPOSE COULD USE A ROUND MADE FROM CUT 308 BRASS AN FIRE FORM MY LUPIA BRASS TO MATCH IT . i WOULD RATHER MAKE MY 308 BRASS MATCH THE QUALITY LUPIA BRASS. HMMMM I MAYBE SHOULD HAVE HAD A HEAD SPACE GUAGE MADE. MAYBE ICAN FORM STANDARD 6MM BR BRASS AN JUST REAM X AMOUNT OF DISTANCE PAST IT BEING CORRECT INSTALL THE BARREL AN FIRE FORM IT. USE THE FIRE FORMED CASE PLUS A COUPLE THOU FOR THE GO GUAGE.

ILL HAVE TO THINK ON THIS FOR A BIT . THE ROUD IS BASICALY A LONG VERSION OF A 6MM BR USING 6MM BR DIES. A 6MM ROUND CHAMBERED WITH SAY A .200" SHIM WOULD GIVE A CHAMBER SET UP FOR A .200 LONGER ROUND HMMMMM SHOULD WORK .

IVE TALEKD TO GUYS WHO HAVE BRX ( A 6MM BR +.100") AN TEY CLAIM 115 BULLETS GONG 2900 FPS. THIS IS FASTER THAN A 243 LOAD IN MY LYMAN BOOK SO WE WILL SEE. ILL BE HAPPY IF MY EVEN LONGER VERSION GETS UP TO 2700 WITH A LIGHTER 100 GRAIN BULLET IN A 20" BARREL OR SO. IN MY BOLT GUN ILL BE LOOKING FOR THE 2900 MARK AS THAT SEEMS THE SPEED THE GOOD BULLETS SHOOT BEST AT. EITHER WAY ITS GOING TO WAY FASTET THAN A GRENDEL OR 6MM AR.

IF THE AK DONT FEED OR SOMETHING CANT BE WORKED OUT ILL STILL HAVE AGREAT TARGET GUN ROUND SO THE MONEY SPENT IS NOT A LOSS .

HERE IS A PICUTURE OF IT NEXT TO A PROTOTYPE ROUND AN A X39 , 223, 5,45 .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

can 6mm benchrest cases be made from other cases

valmetport buffer

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.