Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 6mm BENCH REST

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

playing around with some things I think I can neck an throat with a 243 win reamer an that will give me a no turn chamber throated for any bullet a normal 243 will shoot.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

OK IM TRYING TO MAKE USABLE BRASS FROM MILITARY 7.62X51 AS WELL AS COMMERCIAL 308.

IM RUNNING INTO A FEW ISSUES.

MY PLAN WAS TO NECK DOWN IN MY 308X1.5 FORM/TRIM DIE AN THEN CUT IT SLIGHTLY LONG. THEN i HAD PLANNED TO NECK IT DOWN IN A THE 6MM BR NECK ONLY DIE SET SLIGHTLY LONG AN THEN FINAL SIZE IT IN A SIZING DIE.

THE ISSUE IM RUNNING INTO IS THE NECK THICKNESS IS WAY TO MUCH AN IM CRUSHING CASES AN SPLITTING NECKS DUE TO THE EXPANDER BALL BEING TIGHT TO GO THROUGH PROPERLY .

IM THINKING I NEED TO POSSABLY INSIDE REAM OR OUT SIDE TURN WHEN ITS SIZED AT .308.

WHEN THE BRASS IS CUT THIS SHORT THE TAPER INSIDE THE CASE CAUSES WAY TO MUCH NECK THICKNESS. I NEED A .268 NECK AN IM GETTING A .280+

IM DONT HAVE A INSIDE REAMER IN .308 SO iLL HAVE TO GET ONE.

I NEED TO GET THE BRASS DOWN TO A MANAGABLE UNIFORM THICKNESS BEFORE NECKING DOWN TO 6MM.

THIS MAY BE A HUGE SNAG IN MY AK PLANS IF I CANT MAKE THE BRASS WORK.

IM THINKING INSDIE REAM AT .308 AN THEN OUT SIDE TURN AT 6MM.

IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A 6MM BR DIE THAT WAS BIGGER IN SIZE AT THE NECK
    TO ALLOW ME TO NOT HAVE TO FORCE THE EXPANDER THROUGH SO HARD. iM GOING TO BREAK SOMETHING IF i KEEP AT IT.

IM THINKING IM GOING TO NEED A BUSHING DIE HERE AN SOME BUSHINGS THAT ARE OVER SIZE.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

scored a set of 7mm br dies on Ebay for $14

if nothing else they well help me size down in steps .

A 7mm version of my round should be a great hunting round allowing 140 grain bullets.
    sort of like a 7mm-08 lite. lots of cheap 7mm mag take off barrels out there as well. many are stainless . Ive seen them go on Gun broker for less than $40.

6.5 mm BR dies is on my want list also.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

WOW

THIS IS VERY VERY CLOSE TO WHAT IM DOING .

World Record 6x44--the "6BR Long"

A 6MM X 44 ON 243 BRASS. GUY SET 5 RECORDS WITH IT IN BENCH REST.

IM ABOUT 43.5MM WITH MY MOCK UP BRASS.

THIS MAKES ME FEEL LIKE IM ON A VERY VERY GOOD PATH. AN THE NUMBERS ARE VERY CLOSE TO WHAT I WAS PREDICTING.

i CAN DO A 44MM CASE LENGTH 6MM X 223 ( 45MM) IS LONGER AN WORKS IN A AR VERY WELL. IT SUFFERS FORM NOT BEING ABLE TO RUN LONG BULLETS LOADED TO LENGTH BUT IT WORKS WELL WITH 85-100 GRAIN HUNTING BULLETS.

I LIKE THE LONG NECK FOR A AUTO LOADER

GOOD PICTURES OF HOW THE CASES ARE FORMED. i MAYVNEED TO GET THOSE FORMING DIES NOT SURE. IM HOPING TO AVOID FIRE FORMING FOR GENREAL USE SHOOTING.

i MADE SOME CASES TODAY WITH THE EXPANDER BALL REMOVED AN THERE IS A TON OF NECK TO REAM OR TURN.

I CAN INSIDE REAM REALLY FAST AN IT WOULD STILL BE A ACCEPTIABLE CASE FOR A AUTO LOADER FOR GENERAL USE.

IM ORDERING A 6MM BR TRIM/FROM DIE ( ABOUT $30) IM GOING TO TRY TO RUN A FEW DIFFERANT REAMERS IN THE .243 - .246 RANGE AN SEE WHAT I GET.

COMMERCIAL BRASS IS COMING OUT AT AROUND .185 THATS WAY WAY TO SMALL FOR A 243 EXPANDING BALL TO GO THROUGH.

I CAN ALSO GET A 30 BR FORM/SIZE DIE AN INSIDE REAM IT THEN BEFORE STEPING DOWN TO 7MM OR 6MM. THIS WOULD MAKE SIZING EASIER.

I PLAN TO GET THIS SET UP EVENTUALY ON A TURRET PRESS AN BE ABLE TO P MAKE LOTS OF BRASS FAST WITH POUT A LOT OF WORK.

ID LIKE TO 1. FORM SIZE TO .308 2. CUT TO LENGTH 3. INSIDE REAM WITH A REAMER THAT WILL GIVE CORRRECT NECK THICKNESS WHEN SIZED TO 6MM. 4. FULL LENGTH SIZE. 5. LOAD AS NORMAL.

I MAY HAVE TO INSIDE REAM AN NECK TURN TO GET IT ALL THE SAME SIZE.
    BRASS VARIES WIDELY IN TAPER AN THICKNESS AT THE 1.70" MARK . NATO BRASS IS REALLY HEAVY/THICK.

I THINK ONCE I GET EVERY THING IT WILL BE PRETTY FAST PROCESS TO GET A LOADABLE ROUND.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ANOTHER $100 IN TRIM DIES AN TRIMMER PARTS ETC ON THE WAY. GETTING CLOSE TO MACHINING A BARREL AN MAKING SOME NOISE.

MY 7MM BR DIES CAME IN I MADE UP A DUMMY ROOUND FROM CUT 308 WIN
    WITH A 150 GRAIN BULLET SEATED TO 2.250 IT FITS A STANDARD AK 7.62X39 MAG REALLY NICE. NOT SURE HOW 25 OR 30 WILL WORK IN THE CURVED MAG BUT THEY SEEM WORK FINE WITH 5 IN IT .

SPOKE TO THE TECH AT REDDING ABOUT DIES AN REFORMING AN THEY WERE A LOT OF HELP. GREAT SERVICE.

THERE IS A LITTEL BUMP ON A 7.62x39 MAG THAT SEEMS TO ACT AS A FOLLWER STOP. ITS NOT A RIB BUT JUST A SMALL BUMP. IT HITS THE SHOULDER OF MY CUSTOM ROUNDS MAKING THEM NOT FIT RIGHT AS THEY SLIDE UP. IF IT WERE REMOVED iM PRETTY SURE THEY ROUNDS WOULD STACK OK.

INTERESTING LINK ON 6MM BRX AR SITE. CHECK OUT THE WIND DRIFT AN SPEEDS OF ALL THE AR LENGTH ROUNDS.

BR vs Others

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

WELL A 6MM BR TRIM DIE WAS NO GOOD TO ME. i CANT EVEN BUMP A ROUND FORMED IN A FINISHING DIE HELD UP .050 BACK WITH OUT CRUSHING IT.

I CANT SEEM TO COME UP WITH BRASS THAT AT ANY STAGE OF THE PROCESS I CAN GET A OUT SIDE NECK TURN MANDREL TO FIT CORRECTLY.

I HAVE 313 REAMER WITH A .281 PIOLOT COMING TO TRY TO REAM BRASS AFTER FORMING TO 30 BR WITH NO EXPANDER BALL. IM HOPING THEN i CAN SEP IT DOWN TO 6MM AN FULL LENGTH SIZE WITH THE TAPERED EXPANDER AN THEN BE ABLE TO GET THE 243/6MM MADERAL FOR MY FORSTER OUTSIDE TRIMMER TO FIT.

IM ALSO GOING TO ORDER ABOUT $90 WORTH OF LAPUA BRASS SO iLL HAVE SOME SORT OF A STANDARD TO WORK WITH. I NEED SOME HEAD SPACE GUAGES ALSO. I WAS HOPEING TO BE ABLE TO GET THE BRASS IN A SMALLER QUANITY BUT $89 FOR 100 CASES IS THE ONLY WAY I HAVE FOUND. ILL USE IT IN THE BOLT GUN DOWN THE ROAD.

I HAVE CONSIDERED JUST USING A DUMMY ROUND WITH A SHIM. THERE ARE NO REAL STANDARDS HERE ON MY WILD CAT. I JUST NEED TO BE ABLE TO PRODUCE A CASE THAT IS THE SAME EVERY TIME AN THEN RUN THE CHAMBER IN TO FIT IT. ILL SET THE BARREL TO TO CORRECTLYHEAD SPACE ON MY AMMO + A FEW THOUSANDS. ;

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

For the case crushing issue, is there another die that you could use to gradually step it down in a couple steps? The bushing dies I showed you earlier were for a 243 based off of a 223. The only way I could get an annealed case to not crush was to push the shoulder back in 3 steps. The first one kept the 23 degree angle of the 223 case and was about .291". The second one still kept the 23 degree angle, but was .273", and the final one had a 40 degree shoulder with a .262" diameter. The mesurements are approx, but they're within a few thousands. That actually ended up with a case that was almost correct, but would still need fireforming to get the case capacity. Hope this helps some.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

i CAN GET THERE BY GOING WITH A 308X1.5 BARNES TRIM DIE SHIMMED UP. THAT GETS ME TO A POINT I CAN CUT BRASS. I CAN THEN USE A 6MMBR SIZER DIE WITHTHE EXPADER BALL REMOVED. i THOUGHT I WOULD BE ABLOE TO USE A 6MM TRIM DIE INSTEAD AS IT MIMICS A CHAMBER AN IS LARGER THAN A SIZING DIE . FOR SOME REASON IT WONT FORM THE BRASS WERE A SMALLER SIZING DIE WILL??????

I GOT MY .313 REAMER THIS MORNING I MADE A CASE THATS VERY VERY CLSOE TO USABLE BUY RUNNING INTO THE 308X1.5 TRIM DIE WITH A 20 DEGREE NECK SHIMED UP CUTTING MY BRASS OF AN THEN REAMING IT WHILE IN THE TRIM TO .313 IT INSIDE REAMED LIKE BUTTER WITH A HAND DRILL. I WAS THEN ABLE TO RUN IT THROUGH A 6MM BR FULL LENGTH REAMER WITH A NEW EXPANDED TAPER BALL IN ONE PASS IT GAVE ME A R0UND WITH THE BULLET SEATED THAT HAS A NECK OD OF
    .277 MY REAMER IS A TIGHT TROAT MUST TURN OF .269 .

IM ABOUT .010 TO BIG YET ON THE OD TO MAKE THESE WORK AS IS.
    I COULD OUT SIDE TURN BUT THE CASES WILL NOT FIT ON THE MANDREL AFTER THEY COME OUT OF THE SIZING DIE. THERE MUST BE TO MUCH SPRING BACK.

IM THINKING I NEED A LARGER REAMER TO USE AT THE .308 STAGE OR 6MM REAMER AT THE SECOND STAGE OR I NEED TO USE A EXPANDING MANDREL IN A EXPANDER DIE AN OPEN IT UP TO FIT THE TURNING MANDREL AN THEN OUT SIDE TURN.

FOR AK AMMO ID LIKE TO BE ABLE TO JUST INSIDE REAM AT THE .308 TRIM STEP TO A SIZE THAT WILL BE CORRECT WHEN SIZED DOWN TO 6MM. iM GOING TO ORDER A FW DIFFERANT REAMERS FROM .313 THROUGH . 316 ONE OF THEM SHOULD GET ME WERE I NEED TO BE.

THERE ARE SOME REALLY GOOD DEALS ON EBAY IF YOU WADE TROUGH THE 25 PAGES OF REAMERS THERE.

IM NOTICING SOME RUN OUT IN MY SHOULDERS AN SOME SLIGHT MUSHROOMING . I NEED TO DETRIMINE IF THIS IS COMING FROM SEATING A BULLET IN A NECK THAT IS WAY TO TIGHT OR IF ITS FROM MY FORMING PROCESS.

ID REALLY LIKE TO BE ABLE TO DO AK AMMO WITH NO FIRE FORMING. IF i CAN DO THAT ONCE THIS IS ALL FIGURED OUT BRASS WILL BE PRETTY FAST TO MAKE. IM FIGURING TWO EXTRA SIZING STEPS AN A TRIM AN A REAM.

MY OTHER OPTION WOULD BE A CHAMBER REAMER OR NECK REAMER FOR THE BARREL THAT IS BIGGER. BUT ID STILL HAVE WAY TO MUCH NECK TENSION IMO.

I BROKE MY FORSTER NECK SIZE ONLY EXPANDING ROD ON THE FIRST PASS. IT OBVIOUSLY WAS DEFECTIVE I HARDLEY HAD ANY PRESSURE ON IT AN THE BRASS WAS ALREADY SIZED IN A FULL LENGTH SIZER.

MY UNI THROATER CAME TODAY ALSO SO IM GOING TO TRY TO CHAMBER A BARREL THIS WEEK AS WELL AS A TOOL TO THAT ILL MILL A OPENING INTO SO I CAN SEE HOW IT ALL FITS AN CHECK BULLET SETING DEPTHS. SORT OF A RFINAL ROUND INSPECTION TOOL. I WAS THINKING OF MAKING IT ON A DIE BLANK SO i COULD ALSO RUN EVEY LOADED ROUND THROUGH THE PRESS AN CHECK THAT IT WILL CHAMBER.

COULD THREAD A PIECE OF BARREL IN 7/8" MAYBE SOME HOW.

IM GETTING PLEANTY OF DUMMY ROUNDS AT LEAST FOR CHECKING MAG FIT

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Ebay does have some very good deals on very good quality reamers, just not always in the size you may need at the moment. Napa will have 7/8-14 wheel studs that will work for a die blank, you just have to drill and ream it smooth for your reamer pilot.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

How hard are those wheel stud? Might be a little rough on my reamer. I just ordered 3 more reamers for three bucks each combined shipping us made.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Search tags for this page

can 6mm benchrest cases be made from other cases

valmetport buffer

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.