Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 6mm BENCH REST

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

PLAYING WITH MAGS AND FEEDING TONIGHT.

A POLISH STEEL FACTORY 5.45X39 MAG IS OUT . IT IS TO NARROW AT THE FROINT AN THAT SENDS THE MUCH BIGGER OD ROUNDS WAY TO FAR TO THE SIDE AN MISSES THE BORE. OUT

TAPCO GALIL MAGS WOULD BE GREAT BUT THE MAG LIPS WILL NOT KEEP THE ROUND ONDER THEM AN THEY WILL SHIFT TO A CENTER FEED POSITION TO EASLY AN THERE PLASTIC AN I CANT MAKE ANY MODS TO THEM. TO BAD BECASUE ROUNDS FEED OUT OF THEM REALLY SMOOTH AN WITH A LOT LESS PRESSURE NEEDED. ROUNDS WILL NOT FALL OUT AS LIPS ARE NARROWER THAN A FACTORY STEEL GALAIL MAG AN THE CASES WILL NOT FIT BETWEEN THEM
    I MAY LOOK AT TRYING THEM IN A FINISHED GUN BUT OUT OF THE RUNNING FOR NOW.

STEEL GALIL MAGS. THEY HAVE ISSUES HOLDING THE ROUNDS UNDER THE LIPS AN THEY WILL POP OUT IF YOU DROP OR SMACK THEM HARD. THEY DO HAVE THE STRAIGHEST BODY OF ALL THE AK VARIANTS. . THEY ALSO DONT HAVE A FOLLOWER STOP THAT INTERFERS WITHTHE ROUND AS IT FEEDS AN ALSO CAUSES IT TO BIND. THEY HAVE A RIB THAT THE SHOULDER WILL HIT AS IT FEEDS AOUT HOWEVER. THE LIPS HOLD THE ROUND REALLY LOW IN THE MAGIZINE.
    I THINK WITH MODES THEY CAN BE MADE TO WORK THE RIB CAN BE FLATENED OUT AT HE VERY TOP TO MISS THE CASE. THE LIPS ARE A ISSUE THEY NEED TO BE ABLE TO KEEP THE ROUNDS UNDER THEM AN ALSO HOLD THE ROUND UP HIGHER IN THE MAG WELL. I LIKLEY COULD EASLY MODIFY THEM WITH WELDING AN OTER STUFF NOT SURE IF ITS WORTH IT.

BULGY POLY 223 MAGS. THEY WONT KEEP THE ROUNDS UNDER THE LIPS. THEY LOOD TO FEED GOOD . NO WAY TO MODIFY THE LIPS AS THERE PLASTIC. OUT OF THE RUNNING. ID LIKE TO HAVE A STEEL BULGY 223 MAG TO PLAY WITH AS THE PLASTC ONE FEED THE ROUNDS DEAD CENTER INTO THE BARREL.

HUNGARIAN AMD 20 ROUND MAGS. THE ROUNDS STAY UNDER THE LIPS. THERE IS A LOT OF CURVE I THE MAG AN I SUSPECT THEY WILL BIND BUT AT LEAST 10 ROUNDS WILL GO INTO A 20 ROUNDER AN SEEM TO FEED UP OK. THE FOOLOWER WOULD NEED TO BE REWORKED FOR A BETTER FIT ON THE CSSE BUT IT DOES LIKE IT WORK AS. THERE IS A FOLLOWER STOP BUMP THAT THE SHULDER HITS WHEN FEEDING OUT AN FORCES THE ROUNDS TO BIND AGAINST EACH OTHER AN THE BUMP PRHIPITS N SHULDERS MOVED MORE THAN .100" BAST A STANDARD 6MM BR. THE ROUNDS ARE A LITTLE LOW IN AS WELL DUE TOT HE INCREASED OD. WERE THE MAG NARROWS IN THE FRONT CAUSES BINDING AN ALSO APPEARS THE SHOULDER WOULD HIT IT HARD.
    i THINK THE FOLLOWER BUMP CAN EASLY BE HAMMERD FLAT. THE PART OF THE MAG TWERE IT NARROWS DOWN IN THE FRONT COULD BE RECONTURED OR LOWERED TO MISS THE SHOULDER OR POSSABLY SLIT AN BENT OVER TO FORM A NEW FOLLOWER STOP. THE CURVE OF THE MAG IS LIKELY A ISSUE.

IM THINKING MY RATIEST GALIL MAG IS ABOUT TO GET SACRIFICED. IL GOING TO RAISE AN NARROW THE LIPS, AN FLATTENT HE TOP OF THE FIRST RIB.

THE 7.62X39 BULLET GUIDE IS A LITTLE LOW ALSO. iM GOING TO EITHER INSTALL ONE OF MY FEW REMAINING BULGY BULLETS GUIDES OR JUST TIG WELD A BEED ONTOT HE FACTORY ONE LIKE i DO ON MY X39 BUILDS FOR FEEDING HOLLOW POINTS.
    SINCE IM LIKELY GOING TO NEED TO MODIVY THE MAGS i COULD ALSO ADD A BULET GUIDE TO THEM AS WELL. THE SOONER yOU CAN GET THE ROUND AIMING UP THE BETTER. I EXTEND MY X39 BUILD GUIDES BACK AN UP AS FAR AS POSSABLE.

THE TRICK TO MAKING THIS SHOOT ACCURATLY IS KEEPING THE BULLET UNDAMAGED. i BOUGHT SOME NOSLER BALASITC TIP 95 GRAIN BULLETS TODAY. THEY HAVE A PLASTIC TIP AN ARE SAID TO BE A GOOD DEER ROUND. THE PLASIC TIP WILL KEEP TIP DEFORMATION DOWN AS WELL AS HELP FEED IT UP AN OVER THE BULLET GUIDE AN ALSO INTO THE CHAMBER. I USE THIM EXCLUSIVLY ON MY 223 LVARMINT STUFF AN THERE THE BEST WAY TO GO IMO.

THERE ARE ALSO 6MM BR MAGS MADE FOR THE AR 15. iM SURE A MAG WELL ADDAPTER COULD BE USED OR TAPS TAPS CPOULD BE ADDED TO THEM TO MAKE THEM WORK IN A AK. I MAY ORDER ONE FOR GIGGLES BUT HERE LIKELY AROUND $30 EACH . ILL LIKLEY DO A 6MM AR AT SOME POINT. ALSO GUYS CLAIM A 6.8 SPC MAG WILL WORK WITH 6MM BR, I HAVE READ REPORTS THAT THE GRENDEL MAGS WILL ALSO WORK. IF IM GLING TO BUY A MAG FOR A AR IT WILL BE THE DEIGNATED 6MM BR VERSION AN BE DONE WITH IT. i HAVE NO MAG WELL ADDAPTER SO IF i GPOT TO MODIFY IT WILL BE ON A $10 STEEL GALIL MAG.

iLL LOOK A A 308 SAGIA MAG POSSABLY WITH A SHORTEND FOLLOWER AN SPACER AS WELL AS OTHER POSSABLE SHORTENED 308 MAGS. POSSABLE A G3 SECTIONED OR SHORTEND. BUT iD LIKE TO KEEP THIS WITH SOME EASY MOD TO A STANDARD TYPE MAG FOR KNOW.

MY PERSONAL TARGET BUILD WILL HAVE A EXTRA LONG MAG WELL FOR SEATING 118 GRAIN HIGH BC LOADS ALL THE WAY OUT IN A CUSTOM MAG. (YEA i COULD HAVE JUST BUILT ANOTHER 243 WIN AN BEEN DONE THREE MONTHS AGO. )

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

TODAY I TURNED A REMINGTON 700 TAKE OFF BARREL CHAMBERED IN 243 TO A AK FRIENDLY PROFILE. IM LEAVING IT A S THICK AS POSSABLE IN BACK . i TURNED IT TO TAKE A SAGIA 308 GAS BLOCK THAT IS ABOUT THE SAME ID AS A YOGO M70 BLOCK.
    I CHAMBERED IT WITH THE NEW REAMER AFTER DECIDING ON FINAL DIMENSIONS FOR MY ROUND. EVERY THING WENT VERY SMOOTH

ON MY ROUND I TOOK THE EASY PATH AN MOVED THE SHOULDER OUT .100" . THIS IS THE SAME AS THE BRX. HOWEVER IM USING A LONGER NECK THAN THE BRX . THIS WILL HOPEFULLY BE A LITTEL BETTER IN A AUTO LOADER . THE EXTRA NECK SHOULD HELP KEEP THE BULLET SEATED WERE I PUT IT.

I USED A DUMMY ROUND MADE FORM CUT DOWN 308 BRASS. iT WILL GET A SHIM ADDED TO IT TO MAKE IT A NO GO GUAGE.

I HAVE THE OPTION OF INCREASING THE DEPT OF MY CHAMBERING AN MAKING BRASS LONGER.

THE LENGTH I CHOOSE WILL ALLOW ME TO USE LAPUA 6MM BR BRASS BLOWNOUT / FIRE FORMED AS WELL THE EXTRA NECK LENGTH IN THE CHAMBER SHOULD NOT AFFECT MUCH WHEN GOING WITH THE 6MM BRX LENGTH NECK.

TAKING THIS ROUTE ALSO ALLOWS ME TO USE EXISTING BRX LOAD DATA WITH LAPUA BRASS AN WITH THE HAND MADE FROM 7.62 NATO BRASS 6MM BR LOAD DATA SHOULD BE REALLY REALLY CLOSE AS THE CASE CAPACITY IS ABOUT THE SAME.

DOWN THE ROAD ILL MESS WITH SOME CUT DOWN LUPIA THIN WALL BRASS FOR THE 6.5X47 CUT DOWN IN A .200 LONGER SHOULDER LENGTH . I HAVE A FAIR AMOUNT OF ROMM TO GO BIGGER HERE.

THE LENGTH i CHOSE WILL ALSO CLEAR THE FOLLOW STOP BUMP ON A 7.62X39 MAG. IM GOING TO TRY THEM FIRST AS IS OR WITH A LITTLE FILEING. I KNOW A 5 ROUNDER WILL WORK AN ILL GO FROM THERE. THE RECIVER WILL GET THE TRIGGER GUARD HOLES SLOTTED TO ALLOW ME TO TRY A BUNCH IF DIFFERANT STUFF AS FAR AS MAGS.

THE BARREL IS A 9.25 TWIST SO IT WILL HANDEL 100 GRAIN HUNTING BULLETS WITH EASE AN MAYBE THE 105 VLDS. IM THROATING IT FOR NOSLER BT 95 GRAIN HUNTING BULLETS. THEY HAVE A PLATIC TIP THAT WORKS WELL IN AK AN RESISTS TIP DEFORMATION. THIS PERTICULAR BARREL IS NOT GOING TO BE A TARGET DEAL ITS MAINLY TO GET THE GUN SHOOTING SO i CAN.

IM PLANING ON HAVING SOMTHING GOING BANG BY THE WEEK END.

IM GOING TO BUILD IT WITH A FACTORY SAGIA TRIGGER AN CHEAP PLASTIC FURNITURE. ITS GOING TO BE A CALIFORNIA LEGAL GUN AN WILL HAVE NO EVIL FEATURES LIKE A PISTOL GRIP, IT WILL BASICALY LOOK LIKE A SAGIA SPORTER BUT WITH MY OPTICS TYPE RAIL. IM PLANING ON TAKING IT PIG HUNING IN CALIFORNIA IN DECEMBER.

PICTURES OF THE BARREL SOON.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

BARREL IN THE LATHE AN CHAMBERED. IM DEBATING ON GOING WITH A HEAVY OD UNDER THE RSB OR LIGHT STANDARD. REALLY WISH I HAD A RPK RSB. THIS IS GOING TO BE A SCOPE ONKY BUILD WITH A CANTER LEVER RAIL SO I HATE TO PAY GOOD COIN FOR SOMETHING I GOT TO CUT UP. I MAY JUST MAKE SOMETHING FROM SCRATCH.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I got a hold of some YUGO bolt hold open mags an they dont have the bumps to stop the followers it looks like these will work better as the shoulder will not the bumps that are on a standard mag.

IS THERE ANY SOURCE FOR BHO FOLLOWERS???????? ID LIKE TO MAKE A FEW 10 ROUNDERS ???????????

i KNOW I CAN MAKE THEM OR MOD THE ONES i HAVE.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

1000 rounds of military LC 7.6251 primed unfired pulled down with sealer on the neck brass arrive today. It should be perfect for this project as well as all my other 308 based rifles

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I started back on the 6mm today . I made up a recicver from a tapco flat an I treaded a trunion to take screws instead of rivets. I think this is going to get a AR buffer tube an stock it will ad a 922 part an I have it . I have a AMD 65 stock trunion an a threaded ring that a meamber made me that takes a AR buffer .

I also had a damaged rsb a member sent me an I milled the top off for a cantilever scoop mount today . Im going to do this one a little different from my last bunch im still working out the final plan but it will be stiffer than my previous ones an might possible be able to work with no scope an be sloted to work as a iron site that will use an original front as is . Im not sure if I can get it that low or not

Im going to try to run this with a factory x39 mag with a bolt hold follower . Im looking at using a 5 rounder to start with . this will be a hunting rifle eventualy.

I have decided to cut the throat short an do initial tests with a 60 grain bullets an work up in increments. I want to see how it will shot with different throat lengths stopping at 100 grain hunting bullets . My plan at this point is to optimize the chamber to run 85 or 90 grain bullets as the primary round an be able to load the 100,s with a little deeper seating . I'll do a fast twist with 115,s later on a heavy barrel if the test gun works out . Im hoping like a 243 win it will shoot shorter bullets well also. I don't have as much neck to allow moving bullets in an out like 243 however .

Mainly want to get it up an running at this point an get some data an ideas as to if it will feed correctly out of a x39 mag . with laws likey coming I need to get what mags I need now an also get this as a functional weapon if I need to grand father it in .

ill get some pics up soon . Im hoping to have the barrel out of the lathe tomorrow an head spaced on my trunion . Im going to use a case plus .002 shim as no go. this is a little different than doing a commercial round as all my cases are made by me an will all ( hopefully) be the same . so if cant close on a dummy round with a .002 shim an can on un shimmed case Ill be good . If I set the barrel to tight I can ream it deeper or just bump the cases back with a thinner shell holder .

I eventually plan on making a longer chamber by going deeper an possably running 6.5x55 swiss brass that has a bigger base. I think a 43mm case with a 65 grain vmax would really be a great 300 yard varmint orund an still be faster than 223 by far . Im thinking 3500 fps is doable . It should out do a 6mmAR by a fair amount we will see

I REALLY NEED A CHRONY SOON

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

IM GETTING SICK OF SNOW. WAS GOING TO FINISH THE CANTILEVER RAIL TODAY BUT HAD TO FIX THE PLOW ON MY SAMUARI INSTEAD AN WE GOT A STROM GOING ON NOW .

I DID GET A NEW IDEA FOR DOING A CANTILEVER BASE . IT WILL BE LOWER AN LIGHTER AN STIFFER . IT WILL ONY HAVE SPOTS FOR TWO RINGS AN NOT A BUNCH OF SLOTS FOR OHTER CRAP . SORRY ZOMBIE KILLERS .

IM HOPING TO GET 3X9X32 TO ALMOST HIT THE GAS TUBE WITH THE FRONT OBJECTIVE.

IT STARTED OUT AT 1" X1/4" ANGLE ITS GOING TO BNE TOUGHT TO MILLIN A EDGE FORP WEAVER TYPE RINGS WITH OUT CUTTING THROUGH. ITS GOT MORE SIDE SUPPORT BUT LESS TOP THICKNESS. I CAN ADD A ALUMINUM PISTNAEY RAIL LATER IF I SEE ANY ZOMBIES BY JUST DRILLING AN SCREWING IT DOWN.

THE RSB HAS THE TOP MILLED OFF EXCPET FOR THE TUBE RETAINER .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ITS A SHAME THERE IS NOT A WEAVER STYLE RAIL AN RINGS THAT USE A 1" WIDE RAIL VS THE STANDARD .830 APOX PICTINANY OR WEAVER RAIL . THIS WOULD BE A LOT EASIER .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

WELL ITS ALMOST DONE

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f43/late.../?=#post704721

THIS MOUNT WILL GIVE A SOLD BASE FOR A GOOD SCOPE TO SEE WHAT THE GUN IS CAPIABLE OF . I CAN GET IT REALLY LOW SO ANY STOCK WILL GIVE A GOOD CHECK WELD .

I NOW HAVE TO MILL OF THE BOTTOM TO ALLOW IT TO BE WELDED TO A SLEAVE FOR A LARGER BARREL DIAMITER IM GOING TO USE.

THE BARREL IS A LITTLE HEAVIER THAN A ROMMY IN ALL PLACES. ITS CLOSTER TO A 308 SAIGA IN WEIGHT IN THE FRONT AN BETWEEN THE GB AN TRUNION IN RUNNING MUCH OF THE ORIGINAL REMINGTON 700 SPORTER PROFILE. THIS IS GOING TO BE A HUNTING GUN WITH THIS BARREL THAT CAN BE EASLY PACKED.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I GOT THE BARRLEL BACK IN THE LATH TODAY TO DO A FEW MODS. I THINK IM GOING TO RUN A SAGAI FRINT HAND GUARD SIMPLE LIGHT AN I HAVE ONE. I WONT NEEDA HAND GUARD RETAINER AN THAT MAKES IT EASIER AN LIKELY MORE ACCURATE. I DONT LIKE PARTS HELD ON WITH RETAINERS THAT CAN GIVE VARING HARMONMICS.
    Last edited by 1biggun; 03-04-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Search tags for this page

6mm hagar die set

anyone using 6mm grendel for benchrest

can 6mm benchrest cases be made from other cases
loads for 6ppc n133 66g bullet
valmetport buffer
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.