Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 6mm BENCH REST

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

BARREL IS NOW PRESSED INTO A TRUNION AN HEAD SPACED.

GETTING THE RSB MILLED DOWN TO FIT THE BIGGER BARREL OD AN SLEAVE IT WILL BE WELDED TO IS A PAIN IN THE ASS.

IM HOPING TO MAKE THIS GO BANG BY THE WEEK END.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

BANG

WELL I FINALY GOT ENOUGH TIME TO LOAD UP A FEW ROUNDS FOR TESTING AN GOT THE BARREL ASSEMBLY ON A RECIVER.

I DONT HAVE A GAS TUBE , GB , OR RSB ON IT BUT I WAS ABLE TO FINALY SHOOT A ROUND OUT IF IT . IT WENT BANG THE FIRED CASE LOOKS GOOD, NO GOOFY BULGES, FLAT PRIMERS, OR ANY ANYTHING WEIRD.

THE LAKE CITY 7.62X51 BRASS I USES HELD ABOUT THE SAME CASE CAPACITY AS A 6MMBR WITH LAPUA BRASS THATS THINNER . SO THE WHOLE BLOWING THE SHOULDER OUT ABOUT .100" PAST A NORMAL 6MM BR WITH THICK MILITARY BRASS GIVES ME ABOUT THE SAME RESULTS AS USING LAPUA BRASS AN JUST DOING A STANDARD 6MM BR. UN A UNIRE FORMED ROUND I HAD ABOUT 36 GRAINS WATER CAPACITY . THE BRASS IS REALLY THICK .

I USED JUST UNDER STARTING LOADS FOR A 6MM BR RIOGHT OUT OF THE BOOK AS THE CAPACIY WAS ALMOST IDENTICAL. HUGGED A TREE AN PULLED THE TRIGGER .

I SHOULD SEE ABOUT 43 GRAINS ON LAPUA BRASS BLOWN OUT .

I CAN GO A LITTLE DEEPER ON THE CHAMBER AN GAIN A LITTEL BUT WITH 95 GRAIN BULLETS IM GOING TO BE WAY DOWN IN THE ROUND WITH A 2.243 MAG WELL LIMIT ON A X39 MAG.

I THINK THIS ROUND WILL BE REALLY REALLY GOOD WITH SHORTER 80 APROX GRAIN BULLETS AS I CAN MOVE THE SHOULDER FORWARD AN HAVE THE BULLET STILL IN THE NECK.

I WAS ABLE TO FEED AT LEAST TWO ROUNDS OUT OF A FACTORY AMD 65 MAG WIH NO ISSUES . NOW ITS TIME TO GET ABOUT 30 ROUNDS CUT, FORMED , SIZED, NECK TUNRED OR REAMED , AN LOADED . I NEED TO GET MY OPTICF MOUNT ON IT . IMPROVE THE TRIGGER , GET IT RUNNING IN SEMI AUTO . BUT IT GOES BANG . SO HERE IS WORLDS FIRST 6MMBR??
    AK 47. RECOIL WAS MORE THAN A 223 FOR SURE BUT WELL UNDER A
    7.62X39 .

THE GALIL TUBE IS FOR MOCK UP IT WILL HAVE A STANDARD TUBE WHEN DONE . ITS A PISTOL RIGHT NOW AN WILL BE FOR A WHILE .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well as tempted as I am to tease you about hugging a tree, Congrats on the test fire!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Thanks

I reloaded the rounds after shooting them an shot them again got a split neck on one of them

I was using once fired brass to make these an my reamer is for a turned neck brass of only .269" . I was shootIng for a .265 neck but I see afer the second firing the neck is only .264. So im running about .005 neck clearance . its not excessive but Id like about .003

A factory 6mm Remington I have here is .271 so IM really running a thin neck from what a commercial loading is normaly

I think I need to anneal my brass for one thing going down to from 30 cal to 6mm In all the various steps an doing it on the the lower thicker area is not a good set up then im inside reaming it an it could be more concentric . so im likely getting thinner on one side .

I need to inside ream with a little smaller reamer also

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If you stand the cases in a pan of water you will not effect the case head hardness. I'd anneal them. I ended up annealing some of the 357ar cases twice before they were done, but that was going from 223 to 357. Can you neck turn them with a tight arbor to get them more concentric?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Can you neck turn them with a tight arbor to get them more concentric
    The problem Im having is I have so much thickness the spring back after I FL size is making it so my arbor will not fit. I need to see if Forster can mame me a small arbor for about $25 an shipping ??? Or I need a manderal expanding die to expand . or I need a form trim die with a bigger hole so I can out side turn before I FL size .

MY problem Is I also have a 1000 new primed cases I don't want to get wet or be hitting with a flame LOL.

Ill come up with some thing .

a bushing die might work or a bigger expander ball HMMMM

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hmmm you could do a 357 AR round on a switch barrel AK

Im thinking If I had a bushing die ( I want one any way ) I could find a point were I could form the neck to fit my manderal an then turn what ever I needed to be at an then do my final sizing .

I might also try making a form die with my reamer an just open it up until the brass is big enough to get a manderal an then turn . were talking a lot of brass to turn off .

maybe I can inside ream an also light neck turn to get them concentric.

I also discovered I need to trim my cases before I try to size down . I have been hack sawing them off in a trim die an if there un even It seems to form crooked necks likely due to a uneven push as I size down .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

got it closer to done. cantilever scope mount I made from 1" angle all milled up .

I need to get more ammo done an test fire more .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

WTF are the pictures I spent a hour getting ready to post here . ERRRRR this crap is getting old !

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

try try try again
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Search tags for this page

6mm hagar die set

anyone using 6mm grendel for benchrest

can 6mm benchrest cases be made from other cases

valmetport buffer

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.