Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: 6mm BENCH REST

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Well I got off my ass an made a case cutter set up for my HF Mini chop saw . I went about 360 degrees from what VZ 58 does . I put it on the RH side of the saw an just made a shelf to set the rounds on I just used some spare 4140 rail metal I had an did a quickly made set up.

I removed the vice that also serves as a stop so I had to add a stop I made from sheet steel also . Nato 7.62 barass is thick so it dosent just zip through it like a 223 case but it cuts pretty good . I need to move the set up forward so the blade pushes down instead of back . It might not catch as bad. still it works pretty good . I can bend a tap an change the angle so it will work on all cases with any taper . Im going to be doing some 223 into 7.62x25 soon. I jut made a mark an line up the extracter groove works pretty good. I could make a lot better version but this will work for now an I wanted to get brass cut today . this took me about a 1/2 hour i could make a new one in about 10 minutes .

I finaly made enought cases to fill a mag . I cant fill a 30 rounder full I get cases sticking an not feeding up. I can get about 10 rounds in a 20 round amd mag how ever . 4 round in a 5 round mag work great 5 wont fit . I have a few more things to try

I got the thing on paper an took 4 shots shots at 100 yard leaning against a tree in the back yard . the gun has potential I had about a 1.5" group almost free hand with un fire formed brass an the lightest load in the book . an the cases were a mix of nato an commercial brass . Defiantly deer hunting accurate . From a turned down Remington 700 barrel with no load work up an no attention to bullet seating Im pleased so far. Im sure off a bench in no wind id be about twice as good. this was standing againt a tree with about a 15 mph wind or more . 55 grain vmax BTW

Im going to load up some 85 grain stuff an seat it just off the lands an shoot it enough to get a base line an then drill the port an see what the difference is .

Bad news is Im out of varget powder an there is none to be found . Now what .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thats more than good enough for deer, especially for a first time out. I like the mount, it looks beefy. I hope powder and primers start showing back up in the stores soon, but they just sort of half sigh and chuckle when I ask around here.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Not sure where you are but I was at fin fur feather outfitters in canton ohio and they had alot of 1lb varget on the shelf.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

6mm overload 1.jpgget-attachment (2)6mm over load 2.jpg

well i had a near disaster with getting loads recipes an powders confused in a very late night rushed loading session . NEVER LOAD WHEN YOUR TIRED .

I ended up about 6 grains over loaded past max an about 9 grains over what i wanted , an had brass flowing into the extracer cut on there bolt an into the ring in the bolt face had a partial case separation about half way around the case . the case face is cracekd across the are were it flowed into he extracter cut in the bolt

I likley hit well over 100,000 psi the primer is half out it was close ot a total seperation . Bolt thrust was likely double of a x39 . All I noticed was a little smoke under the cover .

not proof of anything but the gun held up fine I rechecked head space carefully an saw no signs of any changes . I sting fired it a few times an it seems fine but Im still concerned .

really easy to make a mistake when you have multipul powders on hand .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Im looking for a valmet port buffer if any one has one .

Feedback Score

You need to make a set of Benchrest case forming dies such as was last sold by Butch Lambert.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...g-dies-184193/

I have an original set if you need any measurements.

I use a .338 Win die to set back the shoulders of .300 Win cases to form 7 mm Rem brass to - .001 " headspace in the chamber .

Glenn

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Those wont help me . I have no problem getting the neck an shoulder formed with the form dies an FL dies I have now . its getting it to were I can iuse a 6mm pilot to out side turn is the issue . Id be better off with a tapered expanding manderal to exapnd the cases to percisly fit a 6mm pilot .

If I had to buy every thing new Id buy a 30 BR form die or 30 BRX form die if avaliable a 7mm BR form die an a 6mm brx forn die an 6mm br or brx fl die set .

I use a 308 x1.5 barnes form die becasue I have it . the shoulder angle is wrong so I hold it about .120 of the shell holder get teh baras formed to basicaly a 308 x1.5 barnes + .120 an then set correct shoulder angle in the next step with a .100" spacer .

I just need a better neck turniug set up . Im not thrilled wiht the Forster set up or there dies . I think there decaping rods suck I bent mine the first round I formed .

I think there turners are not he most percision either I have two an thy both give run out the feed on the neck tunrer is a joke IMO . an te cutter does not hit he shoulder at the rigth angle IMO .

I need a better out side neck turner that runs in a drill press or lathe an Ill be set .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I can also make a 6mm BR from die f with my chamber reamer If i wanted to but there sold ready made for about $40

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.