Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 6mm BENCH REST

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default 6mm BENCH REST

IM LOOKING REALLY HARD AT THE 6MM BENCH REST THERE ARE TWO VERSIONS A REMINGTON THAT IS SLIGHTLY SHORTER THAN 1.5' AN A NORMA VERSION THATS SLIGHTLY LONGER THAN 1.5" THERE BASICALY THE SAME ASIDE FROM THE NECK AN FREE BORE IN THE CHAMBER. I BELIEVE THEY SHARE THE SAME DIES. ITS ARGABLY ONE OF THE TOP TWO MOST ACCURATE ROUNDS IN THE WORLD.

THE CASE CAN BE MADE FROM 308 BRASS CUT DOWN ( I THINK)

I CAN EASLY DO ANOTHER 243 BUT ID LIKE TO DO SOME THING IN A AK/AR LENGTH MAG WELL. THE ROUND IS LIKELY THE MOST YOUR GOING TO GET WITH OUT NECKING DOWN A 30RAR OR CUTTTING DOWN 284 WIN BRASS OR USING A WSSM CASE SOME HOW. IT SHOULD BE ABOUT OPTMUM IN A AK WITH DOING A LOT OF MESSING AROUND WITH BRASS. THE LUPIA BRASS CAN BE USES AS IS ITS PRICY BUT NOT MUCH MORE THANA GRENADEL OR YOU CAN CUT ANY 308 OR 30-06 BRASS DOWN AN LIKELY FORM IT. ITS BASICAL A 308-BARNES NECKED DOWN

ANY ONE GOT A 30 BR OR ANY BRASS ???

ID LIKE TO SORT OUT MAG ISSUES AN WHAT WORKS BEST BEFORE BUYING A REAMER AN DIES. DIES ARE CHEAP AN OFF THE SHELF BTW AN THE REAMER IS VERY STANDARD. ID HAVE TO WORK OUT NECK CLEARANCES AN LIKLEY WILL GET A UNDER SIZE REAMER AN SPERATE NECKING DIES.

243 REMINGTON TAKE OFF BARRLES ARE DIRT CHEAP AN THE 1-10 TWIST WILL WORK WITH TO 100 GRAIN BULLETS. SHOULD BE A WINNING COMBO FOR THE AK. THE BOLT FACE IS SAME AS A 308 SO A BOLT WILL NEED TO BE OPENED

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the remington version

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd6benchrestremington.jpg

an the norma version http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd6benchrestnorma.jpg

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd6benchrestnorma.jpg

also a 6.5 BR

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd65benchrestremington.jpg

FOR A AK THE REMINGTON VERSION MIGHT BE BETTER AS I SUSPECT THE NORMA VERSION WILL HAVE ISSUES WITH FITTING IN A MAG WITH BULLETS SEATED OUT TO THE LANDS. THE NORMA VERSION WOULD WORK BUT YOU WOULD HAVE TO USE SMALLER BULLETS AN DEAL WITH LOTS OF FREE BORE.

THE IDEAL WAY TO BE ABLE TO USE LUPIA BRASS AS IS WOULD BE TO HAVE A REAMER MADE WITH A LONG NECK AN A SHORT FREE BORE AN JUST USE SHORTER BULLETS AN AVAOID THE 105 AN REALLY LONG STUFF THATS GOING TO NEED A REALL FAST TWIST ANY WAY.

IMO A AK WITH A 18" OR SO BARREL SHOOTING 85 FRAIN BULLETS WOULD BE A REALLY GOOD SET UP FOR BOTH HUNTING AN TATICAL. A 1-10 TWIST WILL STABALIZE THE 100 GRAIN CORE LOC REMINGTON TYPE BULLETS THAT WORK WELL IN 6MM FOR HUNTING AN ARE PRETTY CHEAP.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

6mmNormaBR6mmBRRemingtom

GOOD SIDE BY SIDE OF THE TWO ABOVE.

IM GOING TO ORDER DIES AN LUPIA BRASS AN LOAD UP SOME ROUNDS TO SEE HOW THE FIT IN A AK MAG. ALSO TRY TO FORM SOME CUT DOWN 308 OR 30-06 BRASS AN SEE WHAT THE NECKS COME OUT AS.

FOR THIS PROJECT TO BE VIABLE ON A AK PLATFROM IMO IT NEED STO BE ABLE TO BE ABLE TO USE 7.62 NATO BRASS AS A INEXPENSIVE BRASS SOURCE.

I HAVE A 308X 1.5" BARNES TRIM DIE AN i CAN FORM BRASS FROM 30-06 IN OR AT LEAST IT LOOKS LIKE I CAN IM SURE ON PASSIN A 308 BR AFTE THAT WOULD GIVE ME A 30 BR CASE THEN IT ONLY NEEDS TO BE NECKED DOWN. HOW THICK ARE THE NECKS IS THE QUESTION. WOULD BE NICE NOT TO HAVE TO TURN NECKS ON HOME MADE BR CASES.

ANOTHER GOOD LINK.

6mmBR Cartridge Guide

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Just a quick observation, if you form 6mmBR from 7.62 or 30-06 you'll be needing to neck ream/neck turn to reduce neck wall thickness. Fairly easy with a Forster or other lathe tool, but adds to the time needed to form cases.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Have you looked at the 6mm Dasher?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Just a quick observation, if you form 6mmBR from 7.62 or 30-06 you'll be needing to neck ream/neck turn to reduce neck wall thickness. Fairly easy with a Forster or other lathe tool, but adds to the time needed to form cases.
    I FIGURED I MIGHT HAVE TO REAM. i COULD INSIDE NECK REAM PRETTY EASY. ID RATHER OUTSIDE TURN FOR ACCURACY REASONS. HAVE YOU ANY FIRST HAND EXPERIANCE WITH A THE BR ROUNDS???

Have you looked at the 6mm Dasher?
    LOL IT WAS GOING TO BE MY NEXT POST. IM LOOKING HARD AT ALL OF THE BR VARIATIONS. THE GOOD THING IS LUPIA BRASS IS READY TO USE ALMOST AS IS. EVERY THING ELSE WOULD NEED TO BE FORE FORMED . HOW EVER IF I WAS USING CUT DOWN 308 BRASS THEN ITS POSSABLE IT WOULD NOT NEED TO BE FIRE FORMED.

I ALMOST NEED TO DESIGN THE CHAMBER TO FIT CUT DOWN BRASS OVER EXPENSIVIE BR BRASS AN THEN SEE IF I CAN AMKE THE BR BRASS ALSO WORK.

THE BR BRASS HAS THE SMALL PRIMER AN FLASH HOLE CUT DOWN BRASS WILL NOT, NOT A BIG DEAL BUT WORTH NOTING.

IM GOING TO BUILD A HIGH END BOLT ACTION BENCH REST TYPE RIFLE OFF OF WHAT EVER REAMER I GET SO I WANT TO BE ABLE TO CUT A VERY TIGHT CHAMBER FOR THAT AN BE ABLE TO OPEN IT UP FOR AK USE. IM TRYING TO KILL TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE HERE. IF I WAS DOING A BOLT ACTION ONLY ID LIKELY GO THAT ROUTE OR COMPLETLY DIFFERASNT ROUND.

YES IT AN THE BRX?? I THINK ITS CALLED. THE DASHER HAS A 40 DEGREE NECK AN PRETTY STRAIGHT TAPER SO IT MIGHT NOT FEED WELL ALSO IM CONCERNED THE NECK BEING PUSHED FORWRD MIGHT INTERFER WITH THE MAG WERE THE FOLLOWER STOP IS IN A X39 MAG AN ON A 223 MAG THERE IS A RIB THAT IT MIGHT HIT.

THE BRX IS JUST A BLOWN FORWARD LUPIA CASE .010 IT USES THE SAME LAODING DIES BUT A SPECIAL REAMER.

THE ISSUE WITH USING LUPA / NORMA BRASS AN BLOWIONG IT FORWARD IS THAT THE BULLET NEEDS TO BE SEATED FORWARD AS WELL AN THEN IT WILL NOT FIT IN A AK/AR MAG. IF I CANT USE A A FACTORY MAG I MIGHT AS WELL JSUT BUILD A 243 WIN. IM TRYING TO COME UP WITH SOMEHTING THAT I CAN MAYBE SELL A FEW OF DOWN THE ROAD. ITS GOIG TO COST ABOUT $350 TO $400 FOR ALL THE TOOLING DIES REAMERS AN THROATERS SO iD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO OF SET MY COSTS SOME.

WAS THINKING A PLUG AN PLAY BARREL FOR A ROMMY IF THE BOLT IS OPEND UP OR USE A GALIL 308 BOLT IF THERE IS ANY OUT THERE STILL. OR MAYBE A HEAVY BARREL THAT USES A RPK GB FOR GUYS WHO WANT TO BUILD A ACCURACY JOB WITH FACTORY PARTS. IT NEEDS TO BE CHEAP TO SHOOT AN EASY TO LOAD FOR. THERE IS FACTORY 6MM NORMA BR LOADS OUT THERE BUT THERE LIKE $40 A BOX OR MORE BUT THEY HAVE BEEN GUYS WHO HAVE SET WORLD RECORD WITHTHE FACTORY AMMO.

WHAT EVER I COME UP WITH I NEED TO BEABLE TO DO A CHAMBER ON A 1-10 TWIST TAKE OFF BARREL THAT WILL WORK WELL WITH A 100 GR BULLET OR LESS AN FIT IN A FACTROY AK MAG OF SOME SORT OR A AR MAG WITH ADDAPTER OR POSSABLY A MODIFED AR MAG WITH LUGS WELDED ON. IM THINKING A MAG FOR THE 6.5 GRENDEL OR 30 RAR OR 450 BUSHMASTER OR 458 SOCOM SHOUL ALL BE POSSABLE CANIDATES.

IF IT CAN WORK IN A STANDARD AK 76.62X39 MAG THEN GREAT. IF NOIT AS LONG AS I CAN GET IT BETWEEN THE TRUNION AN THE MAG CATCH THEN FINE.

MY NECT VARMINT GUN IN 223 WILL USE A EXTRA LONG MAG WELL AN A EXTENDED LENGTH GALIL MAG. I JUST BOUGHT A BUNCH OF 30 ROUNDER IN STEEL AN IM LOOKING AT THE BLANK FIRING MAG AS A CANDIATE FOR A CHOP AN CUT CUSTOM MAG. ITS A 10 ROUNDE BODY BLOCKED OF IN THE FRONT TO BLANKS STACK PROPERLY. CANT BE THAT HARD TO GUT THE FRON OFF FORM A NEW FRONT AN WELD BACK ON.
    MY NEXT VARMITING BUILD IN 223 WILL BE ABLE TO SHOOT 90 GRAIN B ULLETS FULLY SEATED OUT TO THE LANDS ON A 1-7 TWIST BARREL. A AR CAN NEVER DO THIS WOTH OUT SERIOUS MODS. IM NOT RULLING OUT A 6MM-223 AS WELL FOR THAT GUN.

THE 6MM BR CAN SHOOT 105,S AT 2900 FPS IF LOADED THAT HOT. iM NOT SURE WHAT I CAN RUN ON A AK BOLT AN TRUNION BUT THATS A LOT BETTER THAN A
    6MM-223 WILL EVER DO BY ABOUT 450 FPS OR SO.

THERE IS A 6.5 BENCH REST AS WELL THAT WILL OUT CLASS THE 6.5 GRENDEL IN ALMOST EVERY WAY. AK,S ARE NOT STUCK HAVING TO USE A LITTEL BOLT FACE OR SHORT MAG WELL ITS TIME GUYS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS AN EXPLOIT THE ADVANTAGES OF THE AK OVER THE AR.

IM HOPEING TO GET A AK TARGET RIFLE IN TO COMPETITION NEXT SUMMER IN CLASSES WERE ARS ARE ALLOWED. I HAVE A GUY WHO IS VERY COMPETIVE SHOOTER AN CAN WIN. HE IS WILLING TO TRY MY BUILD IF I CAN PROVE IT WILL SHOOT RELIABLY AN ACCURATLY. MONEY IS TIGHT AN GOOD BARRELS ARE EXPENSIVE AN DONT MENTION AK 47 TO ANY TOP BARREL MAKERS THEY WILL NOT GIVE YOU THE TIME OF DAY.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

6mm bench rest variants

6BR Improved Cartridge Guide

I like the 6mm BRX simple uses standard dies just backed off. not sure why the reamer is special ?????? seems like you could just run it a little deeper??? HMMMM must be small change there some were.

I dont think any of these will work with the really long high BC bullets in a AR mag but if you culd use the extra case capacity with a shorter bullet an use less free bore then it would be a better round. Im looking for more speed at long range not woried about case effeciancy or true bench rest accuracy. Im more worried about wind drift an drop at 600 yards other wise id just neck up a 220 russain or do a 6mm beggs or necked down x39. Im looking for as much powder/speed i can get into a 6mm in a AK mag well with out having to resort to rebated cases or reworked WSSM or 284 win cases.

if I can get a 85 grain vmax to go 3000 FPS an do it relaibaly an be able to make brass in one pass from cut down cases all the better. if i have to buy 200 Lupia cases at 90 cents each an not lose them an reload them 10 times I can live with that. Im hoping I can have a sub 1/4" moa bolt gun on the same tooling. Id like to try to enter a shoot some time. my eys are not going to last forever.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

GOOD BRX INFO HERE

6mmBRX

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

For the 6mmBR all I have is eyeball 101 experience.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

THEN THERE IS THE 6MM HAGAR

6mm HAGAR

37.5 GRAINS CASE CAPACITY WORKS IN A AR AT LEAST HORNADY BRASS. HMMMMMM ALWAYS SOME THING NEW.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.