Thread: 7.62X40 WT

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default 7.62X40 WT

ANY ONE SEEN THIS ROUND YET. LOOKS LIKE A 300 BLACK OUT/ 300 WISPER BUT LONGER .

THEY CLAIM IT OUT PERFORMS A 7.62X39 SOME HOW. ID LIKE TO KNOW THE CASE CAPACITY OR PRESSURES ITS RAN AT.

Wilson Combat | 7.62x40 WT Project

BASICAL ITS SLIGHTLY SHORTENED 223 BRASS OPEND UP T0 30 CAL.

IM LOOKING AT THESE OVER A X39 MAINLY BECAUSE BRASS IS REALLY CHEAP FOR ONCE FIRED. AN THE BETTER BULLET SELECTION.

IT WONT BEAT THE ROUND IM WORKING ON IN PERFORMANCE BUT IT WOULD BE CHEAPER TO SHOOT.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

This is simply their (Wilson Combat's) "Me Too" .300/.223 caliber/case conversion that fits an AR platform. Nothing more.

The .300 / .223 conversions really took off with the .300 Whisper. That brings 7.62x39 performance to the AR platform. Shines best when suppressed! However as you probably know they did the "licensing suicide" trick and it remained a niche catridge.

The .300 Blackout followed the same case design (.30 bullet + .223 brass) but chose to make their case design "free" and suddenly everyone is freaking out for this .30 cal conversion since it requires ONLY the new barrel. In fact the Blackout is so close to the Whisper design that it lets you shoot Whisper brass if you have it.

It seems that everyone must have a .300 Whisper/Blackout/UberZombie case design for their sweetheart AR platform. To be honest the Blackout seems to be the way to go. I simply can't see adopting an offshoot design that is so close in performance that you would just be better to go with "mainstream" stuff where reloading supplies and now even factory ammo is abundant and seems to be here to stay. No special size bullets, just plain 'ol .308 bullets and you're set. That alone is a HUGE win for this cartridge and will most likely ensure that the 6.8 remains a niche caliber.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

THE ONLY ARGUMENT I HAVE IS THE 300 BALCK OUT IS STILL UNDER POWERED IN A 30 CAL IMO FOR DEER HUNTING . ITS WONT DO ANY THING A 7.62X39 CANT. AT THESE 2300 FPS ALL THESE ROUND CLAIM BULLET EXPANSION IS RIGHT ON THE BORDER LINE WHEN YOU GET OUT PAST 150 YARDS. A EXTRA 200 FPS HERE IS IMO A REALLY BIG DEAL.

IF I COULD GET 2500 FPS OUT OF A X39 ROUND ID BE THRILLED.

PERSONALY I FEEL A 125 GRAIN 30 CAL BULLET SHOULD BE DOING 2500 FPS + AN A 150 GRAINER SHOUD SEE 2300 FPS TO BE CONSIDERED A DECENT DEER ROUND AT 150 YARDS. THAT WOULD GIVE EQUIL PERFORMANCE TO A 30-30. I DONT HTINK A 30 -30 IS A GREAT DEER ROUND TO BEGIN WITH. BUT ITS A PROVEN ROUND FOR DEER OUT TO 200 YARDS. ID LIKE PBETTER BUT ID ACCPET IT AS A MINUMM IF I WAS DESIGING A 30 CAL ROUND WITH HUNTING IN MIND.

FUNNY HOW A 30-03 IS CONSIDERED A UNDER POWERED ROUND BY MANY UNTILL YOUR TALKING ARS AN THEN ITS A PROVEN DEER KILLER BEST KOWN TO MAN AN THE NEW AR WONDER ROUND OF THE MONTH IS ALMOST AS GOOD AS THE PROVEN 30-30
    IT DOSENT APPEAR THAT THE 300 BO OR THE 308X40WT CAN DO THSES NUMBERS .

YES THEY WILL ALL KILL DEER B UT WHAT ROUND WONT ?????

FOR ME TO CONSIDER A AR ROUND IN 30 CAL IT NEEDS TO KILL WELL OUT TO 300 YARDS. ( YES I SHOOT DEER AT 300 YARDS AN BEYOND REGARDELSS OF WHAT THE AS SEEN ON TV GUYS SAY )

YOU ARE CORRECT THAT THE 300 HAS TAKEN OFF AN THERE MORE STUFF FOR IT BUT IF YOUR GOING TO RELOAD FOR IT THEN IT DOSENT REALLY MATTER IF THE DIES ARE $50 MORE. IF I CAN GET EVEN 100 FPS OUT OF A ROUND IN THIS SIZE ITS A HUGE DEAL IMO. YOU KNOW I HAVE ALWAYS SAIF THE AK IS NOT MAG WELL RESRICTED AN MY 300 SAVAGE BUILDS WILL DO ABOUT 2600 FPS WITH GENTAL LOADS IN 130 GRAIN BULLETS .

I KNOW ALL THIS IS ABOUT THE AR. GETTING THE MOST FROM A LIMITED MAG WELL. THE AK GUYS CAN BENIFIT FROM ANY NEW AR ROUND BECAUSE IF IT WORKS IN A AR IT WILL WORK IN A AK AN OFTEN BETTER . IMO A AK CAN RUN MORE PRESSURE SO A LOAD CAN BE A LITTLE FASTER.

TH AK IS NOT LIMITED TO A 223 BOLT FACE. IT CAN RUN A .470 BOLT FACE OR BIGGER EASLY AN MUCH SAFER THAN ANY AR BOLT . IF YOU WANT A MAG LENGTH BARREL CHANGE ONLY AK ROUND LOOK AT THE 30 BR OR A 30 BRX OR SIMPLY 308X1.5 BARNES .. THEY ALL WILL BLOW THE DOORS OFF ANY 223 BASED ROUND .

IM DOING A 6MM BASSED WILD CAT AS SOON AS THE REAMER SHOWS UP HERE HOPEFULLY TODAY . THE CALCULATIONS OHTERS HAVE GIVEN BASED ON CASE CAPACTY AN BULLET WEIGHT AN BARREL ALL SHOW ILL BE ABLE TO GET 3000 FPS. IM DUBVIOUS BUT THATS THE CLAIM. WERE TALKING TALKING 234 PERFORMANCE IN A 42MM LONG CASE.

I THINK .308X1.60" CASE BASED ON 308 TYPE BRASS WOULD BLOW THE DOORS OFF ALL THESE AR WONDER ROUNDS. IM PLANNNING ONE OUT AS SOON AS I GET THE 6MM RUNNING. IM HOPING I CAN RUN THE 6MM REAMER WITH A .308 PILOT AN THEN CUT THE NECK AN THROAT WITH THE END OF MY 300 SAVAGE REAMER OR A SEPERATE NECK AN THROAT REAMER. I THINK 30 BR DIE HELD UP .200" WILL WORK

IF IT ALL PLAYS OUT A REAL WORLD 30 CAL AK ROUND THAT DOES 3600 FPS OR BETTER IS VERY DOABLE . I PROPOSED A 308X1.5 BARNES YEARSD AGO HERE BUT NEVER HAD THE REAMER OR DIES. NOW THAT THE 30 BR HAS TAKEN OFF IN BENCH REST THERE ARE LOTS MORE STUFF AN INFO AN LOADS OUT THERE.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    THE ONLY ARGUMENT I HAVE IS THE 300 BALCK OUT IS STILL UNDER POWERED IN A 30 CAL IMO FOR DEER HUNTING . ITS WONT DO ANY THING A 7.62X39 CANT. AT THESE 2300 FPS ALL THESE ROUND CLAIM BULLET EXPANSION IS RIGHT ON THE BORDER LINE WHEN YOU GET OUT PAST 150 YARDS. A EXTRA 200 FPS HERE IS IMO A REALLY BIG DEAL.

IF I COULD GET 2500 FPS OUT OF A X39 ROUND ID BE THRILLED.
    Ah but you forget one important detail - these are made for AR platforms! You only have so much space in that AR magazine.

And generally speaking I don't think 7.62x39 does very well in an AR platform.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Ah but you forget one important detail - these are made for AR platforms! You only have so much space in that AR magazine.

And generally speaking I don't think 7.62x39 does very well in an AR platform.
    OH IM VERY AWARE THAT ALL THESE NEW ROUNDS ARE DESIGNED FOR THE RESTRICTED AR MAG WELL.

MY POINT IS ITS NOT A GREAT ROUND FOR HUNTING . IT MIGHT BE A SUPER ROUND FOR PEOPLE. ITS A MARGINAL ROUND IMO AS IS THE 7.62X39. SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS WANT IT FOR BESIDES SURPRESSED AN 90% OF THESE GFUNS WILL NEVER BE??? WHAT DOES THE 300 BO OR 308X40 AXCE AT????????????????? IMO ITS A WAY TO GET ALMOST 7.62X39 PERFORMANCE OUT OF A AR WITH FACTORY MAGS . OK NOW YOU GOT THE ROUND WHAT IS GREAT AT????????????? I SELDOM HUNT WITH MY X39,S ANY MORE BECAUSE THE 300 SVAGE AN 308 BUILDS ARE BETTER.
    DOES THE ROUNF MAKE MILK JUGS EXPLODE BETTER?????? IF I GOT TO SHOOT A PERSON IM GOING TO HAVE LITTLE CONCERN THAT I NEEDED A 300 BNO OVER A 223.
    IT SEEMS TO ME ITS JUST BIGGER AN IT LETS GUYS WHITH ARS SAY WELL ITS AS GOOD AS A X39 SO THEY DONT HAVE TO BE REMINDED THERE 223 ARE NOT AS GOOD ON HUMANS AT CLOSE RANGE. IT FILLS A NITCH THAT DONT NEED TO BE FILLED.
    I GUESS IF I WAS HUNTING WILD PIGS AT 100 YARDS OR LESS AND WAS FORCED BY PRIDE TO ONLY USE A AR FOR HUNTING ID BUY ONE. PERSONALY ID GRAB MY REMINGTON AUTO IN 243 OR MY PUMP IN 6MM REMINGTON , ANY OF MY AKS .

IT SEEMS TO BE A AR THING. IT FILLS A HOLE FOR THERE OWNERS. IM SURE ITS FUN TO SHOOT AT TARGETS AN OTHER STUFF LOW RECOIL AN AL BUT SO IS A 223 AN ITS CHEAPER AN FLATTER SHOOTNG AN LESS RECOIL . AGAIN ITS FUNNY HOW THE 30-30 WIN PERFORMANCE IS NOW A GOOD BASE FOR A DEER ROUND WHEN FOR THE LAST 50 YEARS ITS BEEN CONSIDERED LIGHT BY MOST HUNTER FOR ANY LONGER RANGE HUNTING. BUT IT GIVES AR 15 OWNERS GROUND TO STAND ON. THE 300 BO IS ALMOST AS GOOD AS A 30-30 SO ITS A GOOD DEER ROUND. I SAY BS. 300 WISPER HUNTERS HAVE BEEN SAYNG HOW GREAT THE ROUND IS ON DEER WIHT BIG HEAVY BULLETS . THATS GREAT WITH A CAN AN AT SHORT RANGE. THE LOOPING TRAJECTROY KILLS IT FOR ME. CANT HUNT MOST PLACES IN THE USA IF ANY WITH A CAN SO WHATS THE ATRACTION????/

IF IM GOING TO TARGET SHOOT OR PLINK OR WHAT EVER THEN A 223 JUST MAKES MUCH MORE SENCE . FOR A 30 CAL TO VIABLE IT NEEDS TO HAVE A REAL USE. 99% OF USE WILL NEVER EVER SHOT AT A HUMAN WITH A AR OR ANY GUN. IN MY MIND TO HAVE A 30 CAL IT WOULD BE FOR HUNTING SOME THING . THE 30 CAL IN 125 CRAINS IS NOT A GOOD TARGET ROUND PAST 300 YARDS AS THE BC IS HORRABLE SO WHAT ARE WE BUYING IT FOR ??? IT IS LIKELY A GOOD ROUND FOR PIGS AN CLOSE RANGE DEER . ITS SO BIG FOR VARMITNS AN TO RANGE LIMITED. THERE IS NOT A LOT OFREAL WORLD APPLICATIONS WERE THE ROUND ACELS. IT IS A GREAT ROUND SUPRESSED . i ONLY NKOW ONE PERSON WHO OWNS A SUPRESSOR AB I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THAT EVEY ONE BUYING THIS ROUND IS GOING TO SOME DAY GET ONE OR EVEN WANT ONE. I GUESS IM AT A LOSS AS TO WHAT ITS GREAT AT??????? IN MY MIND ITS LIKE THE X39 ITS ALMOST A DECENT DEER ROUND BUT ITS ON THE LIGHT SIDE. A GUY IS NOT GOING TO CHOOSE IT FOR ANY DEER HUNTING OR ANY BIGGER GAME HUNNTIN EXCEPT FOR A AR!

THE AR SUFFERS FROM A WEAK BOLT DESIGN AN A SHORT MAG WELL. I REALLY WISH THE 30RAR HAD TAKEN OFF BUT TYPICSAL REMINGTON BS THEY DROPED THE BALL I CANT EVEN FIND BRASS FOR THE ROUND AVALIABLE. I HAD HOPED TO NECK IT DOWN FOR A 6.5 ROUND.

FOR A 125 GRAIN BULLET TO BE GOOD IMO IT NEEDS TO BE DOING 2600 FPS OR MORE. A 125 WILL NEVER HAVE THE BC TO DO WELL AT LONGER RANGES AN MAINTAIN ENERGY. IMO . FOR A AR 15 TO BE A GOOD HUNTING RIFLE IN .308 IT REALLY NEEDS A 150 GRAIN BULLET AN MORE SPEED. THERE IS A RESON 30-30,S 308,S AN OTHER ROUNDS DONT USE THE 125 FOR DEER VERY OFTEN . I ALWAYS THOUGHT A 125 GRAINER IN A 308 OR 30-06 WOULD BE A REALLY GOOD ROUND AT 200 YARDS AN UNDER BUT THE AMOUNT OF DROP BETWEEN THE 150,S AN UP AT THAT RANGE IS OF LITTEL CONCERN SO OTHER THAN REDUCED RECOIL LOADS WHAY BOTHER DOING THEM.

TO ME THE DRAW OF THE 300 OR THE 308X40 OR ANY SIMULAR IS THE CHEAP BRASS AN LACK OF OTHER PARTS TO CONVERT A AR. IF THE 30RAR HAD DECENT BRASS AN REMINGTON DIDNT SIT ON THE THE ONLY BOLTS MADE FOR IT AS WELL AS THE BARREL EXTENSTION IT WOUKLD BE A WINNER . BUT REMINGTONS GOOD AT ADVERTISING HYPE AN POOR ON EXICUTION. THE 6.8SPC IS A DUD FROM A SALES POINT , SO 30 RAR IS A GOING NO WERE. THE FAILED 50 YEARS AGO WITH THE 244 REMINGTON/ RENAMED TO 6MM REMINGTON. THEY STILL WONT MAKE A 223 WITH A FASTER TWIST IN THERE BOLT ACTIONS. ( WHY DO YOU THINK EVERY ONE BUYS A SAVAGE 223 BOLT GUN INSTEAD 1-9 TWIST VS 1-14) DPMS IS OWNED BY REMINGTON SO THEY WONT SELL US THE PARTS WE NEED.

IF THE AR HAD A EXTRA .250 OF MAG WELL AN A STONGER BOLT IT WPOULD BE A AWSOME PLATFORM. I CANT UNDERSTAND WHY THE AR 10 AN ITS LIGHTER WEIGHT VERSIONS DONT SELL BETTER AN WHY THE MANUFACTURES NEED TO CHARGE $500 MORE FOR THE GUN . YEA THERE IS QUANTY SOLD AN ALL THAT TO MAKE A PROFIT . BUT IF A MANUFATURE MADE A AR 10 FOR ABOUT THE SAME MONEY AS A AR 15 ID BUY ONE TODAY . THE MATERIAL COSTS BETWEEN THE TWO CANT BE MORE THAN $15.

I CANT GET EXCITED ABOUT THE AR 15 FOR ANY THING OTHER THAN A VARMINT RIFLE OR TARGET RIFEL IN 223 OR MAYBE A 6MM-223. IMO ITS JUST NOT GOT WHAT IT NEEDS FOR ANY BIGGER ESPECALY WHENTHERE ARE BETTER OPTIONS.

A 308 SAGIA IF IT ACCURATER IS A BETTER HUNTING RIFLE THAN A AR 15 WILL EVER BE FOR LESS MONEY. SO IS ANY REMINGTON AUTO LOADER OR BROWNING AUTO.

WILL I BUILD A 300 BO AK ??? YEA SURE IF HAD THE REAMER. THE BRASS IS CHEAPER THAN X39 IT WOULD LIKELY SHOOT CAST LEAD VERY WELL AT SLOWER SPEEDS AN MAYBE SOME DAY ILL GET A CAN. THE BULGY 5,45 KITS ACAN BE USED ON A 223 CASE SO ITS A GOOD CHICE FOR A 5.45 KIT I ESPECIALY IF YOU RELOAD.

WOULD I CONSIDER THE 308X40 OVER THE 300 BO ????
    SURE IF I GOT TO RELOAD ANYWAY AN THERE IS NO CAN IN THE FUTURE WHY NOT ITS GOT MORE POWER SHOOTS USES THE SAME CHEAP BRASS. IM SURE I CAN MAKE IT FEED SOME HOW.

IM ALWAYS PUZZLED HOW A AR OWNER WILL SPEND $2000 ON A SUPER CUSTOM BUILD WITH THE BEST OF EVERY THING BUT BALK AT A CERTAIN CALIBUR BECAUSE IT WONT FEED IN A ISSUED 223 MAG AN A SPECIAL MAG COST $25.
    HOW MANY FLIPPEN MAGS ARE YOU GOING TO NEED FOR A NON 223 ROUND?????? DO THESE GUYS ENVENSION NEEDING 20 MAGS FOR A 300 BO THT COSTS A LOT TO SHOOT?????? HOW MANY MAGS DO YOU CARRY FOR ANY REALWPORLD SITUATION.

IF A GUY INVENTED A AR ROUND THAT DID 2700 FPS IN 30 CAL AN IT WAS REASONABLE TO SHOT COST WISE BUT THE MAGS WERE SPECIAL AN COST $100 ID STILL BUY THE RIFLE IF IT ALLOWED IT TO DO WHAT I NEEDED.

THE 6.8 AN G 6,5 GRENDAL AN 7.62X39 ALL TAKE SPECAIL MAGS FOR A AR AN GUYS WONT BITE BECAUSE OF IT . MAKES NO SENCE . MAYBE ZOMBIES WONT DIE UNLESS ITS TEFLON NO TILT FOLLOWER MAG IN 223.

TO ME A MAG IS A AFTER THOUGHT WHEN I BUILD.

MY 6MM BENCH REST WILD CAT IS AN EXAMPLE. i HAVE NO IDEA IF THE ROUND WILL FEED FROM A KNOWN AK TYPE MAG . IT WILL LIKLEY WORKIN A MODIFED 223 IF i CAN KEEP THE ROUNDS FROM POPPPING OUT. IM BUILDING THE GUN HELL OR HIGH WATER IF I HAVE TO MAKE MAGS FROM SCRATCH SO BE IT. TO ME A CASE THAT HOLDS 43 GRAINS OF POWDER VS 30GRAINS FOR THE 223 OR 33 FOR THE X30 IS WORTH THE TROUBLE.

MAYBE IM MISSING THE BIG PICTURE. I UNDER STAND THE 6.5 GRENDEL AN THE 6.8 SPC. THE 6MM AR IS A COOL ROUND AN HAS USE. I JUST DONT GET THE SLOW POOR BC 125 GRAIN 30 CALS????????????

I NEED TO LOOK AT THE ENERGY OF ALL THESE ROUNDS AT 100 , 200, 300 AN MAYBE 400 YARDS TO REALLY SAY IMO WHAT MAKES THE MOST SENCE OVER A CHEAP TO SHOOT 223 . THE KNOCK DOWN POWER AN TRAJECTORY IS WHAT I CARE ABOUT.

PERSONALY A 308 WSSM MAG OR ANY WSSM OR VSRIANT IN A R WOULD BE GREAT. BOLTS BREAKING THIN PARTS TO MAKE IT FIT AN OTHER ISSUES IN A AR SCARE ME.
    IF REMINGTON MADE A 6.5 OR 7MM WSSM TYPE ROUND IN A AR ID BUY ONE IF THEY KEPT THE PRICE IN REASON. I HAD CONSIDERD A 30 RAR BUT IT WAS STILL LACKING AN UNAVALIBALE AN TO EXPENSIVE AN NO MAGS WERE OUT HER EBUT LOW CAPS.

REMINGTON NEEDS TO SHIT OR GET OF THE POT.

SOME ONE NEEDS TO STEP UP WITH A AR 10 BASED BUT DOWN SIZED PLATFORM MAYBE PISTON DRIVEN DESIGN AN SELL IT CHEAP ENOUGH FOR THE AR PLUG NA PALY CROWD TO WANT TO TRICK IT OUT. LET ALL THE AR 15 CRAP FIT IT. SAME HAND GUARDS STOCK TRIGGER PARTS RAILS ETC JSUT GIVE THEM A .250 LONGER MAG AN SOME BRASS TO FILL IT. A 6MM OR 6.5 ON 22-250 BRASS OR THE 6.5X47 LUPIA HELL EVEN THE 250 SAVAGE WOULD BE A BETTER START.

A 308X47 WOULD BE A GREAT ROUND FOR DEER.

IM RAMBELING AGAIN. TIME TO GO WORK .

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.