Gunco Forums banner

ZK-9 "K" model?

30K views 89 replies 12 participants last post by  gwailo 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been thinking about designing a ZK-9 "K" style weapon I'll call the "INFIDEL", with some of my leftover parts.
I dug out my ZK-9 [video=youtube;6GmD0EVPnug]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GmD0EVPnug[/video]
I designed around a Russian Vityaz [video=youtube;7sPAPOhHKVk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sPAPOhHKVk[/video]

This would be kinda what the "K" model would look like. I think it's really cool looking.

See less See more
#37 ·
#38 ·
Those options will work for a light red do an would be fine on a pistol . In a rifle were a guy would like a full size rifle scope tehre going to be lacking .

No big seal if its not in your came plan . I was just thinking if you ended up ever doing your own GB,s then a littel extra meat on top to be ale to add a few screws would be cool .

I have been making my own for 10 years . I see the Veipr also copy's on one there 308 offerings .

Any chance you well sell bolts separate at some point ?

IMO The AK would have been a lot more accepted in the USA if there had been a good way to add a scope that worked well.

#39 ·
The problem is keeping the cost down so everyone can afford one and I'm starting to wonder if it cane be done?
The parts are drying up and seam to be getting more expensive all the time.
I'm already having to buy receivers, front sight, rear sight, dust cover, rear trunnion, trigger guard, furniture, gas tubes, lower handguard retainer, FCG, pins, retainer plate and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
I just did some quick math and the factory parts I need for the pistol alone add up to almost $400 and that doesn't include the custom parts I need.
It would be nice to find about 50 complete Romy donor kits to keep the cost down, but I can't seam to find any at a decent price.
Unless I can figure out something better, I'd have at least $700 in parts for each gun and then the weapons would have to be assembled.
We discussed making a front trunnion with a fixed sight to help lower cost, but I don't think the majority of people would want it.

#40 ·
I wonder if someone like Apex or Centerfire would be willing to give you a big break on cost for both quantity, as well as for the good of the community/more exposure of their name as a "sponsor" maybe?

#42 ·
I'm already having to buy receivers, front sight, rear sight, dust cover, rear trunnion, trigger guard, furniture, gas tubes, lower handguard retainer, FCG, pins, retainer plate and I'm sure I'm forgetting something

thats why I was thinking you could make the front trunion an RSB in one piece . RSBs are like $30 now . you could also make it take a gude rod an not need a piston like deal on the bolt .

you only need a AK gas tube if you wan it to duplicate a AK exactly . A 50 cent piece of tubing could replace a $20 original . No need for a $20 trigger guard thats not going to fit 9mm mags any way you just need a 30 cent piece of flat bar .

Id stick wiht the AK FCG an pins as there cheap . To bad you an I didn tstock up onthem whn CFS had trigger sets for like $3 .

the rear dust cover is going to cost you if you want a original look . I see the chinease ones with the rail on top pretty cheap on ebay . try to get a bulk price maybe . the rear trunion is going to cost you . one solutin is somehting lile jack squat sells . Im not sure how well they woul be reciveed on a manuafactred fore arm but for $10 an some welding you have a pistol trunion . If you can cnc front barrel blocks/ trunions an bolts a rear trunion should be easy .

as far as furniture there is not a lot super cheap . You can get AR stocks pretty cheap how ever .

Receiver blanks can be made for about $4

I think if you stray just a bit from the original AK look you can build the a lot cheaper . Im not sure how they would sell.

I have nver flet the need or want for a GB an gas tube on a blow back . Id be cool with a gue rod an nothing on top of the barrel . if its a short barrel pistol you dont really need a upper fore grip just small lower one if that . just a lip on hte bottom of the trunon would work to keep you hand from going forward .

I think a shorty pistol would sell more than a 6" or longer barrels one .

But your right if you use all original parts your only going to be saving on the cost of a trunion, bolt an carrier an you still have to make the parts to replace them so you looking at about 400 just in parts.

My thoughts have always bee use a $5 receiver flat a cheap $10 original FCG what ever springs you need an build the rest from scratch.

#43 ·
I'm looking at all kinds of options, but so far nothing has caught my eye.
I even looked at rectangular tubing for a handguard-dust cover combo, but it really needs to be a hexagonal shape at the top to look correct.

#44 ·
Yea a dust cover could be made easy from sheet metal but its not going to look great . although a flat top cover would give it sort of a UZI look . there is also some alumium 1 1/4" channel I have seen avaliabe . ( I think )

some of the vipers an valimits use a non traditional cover I think .

Add a tri rail on it an zombie shooters will jump all over it LOL

looking at a amd 65 hand guard I think a jig coild be made to mimic some thing simular pretty easy .

you could give it sort of a taticla look an use a round hand guard like a AR an slot the gas tune area . alumunim tubing is cheap knurl or flute it an it would look cool .

use a round ring for were the GB would be to cap the hand guard an hold the gas tube .

I think the fact its not a gas gun gives you some artistic liscence here to not have to copy a AK directly .

If all else fails just make an sell the bolts an trunions alone.

I have been considering just that for several years . :)

#48 ·
I've thought about just making a bolt and trunnion combo to sell and that idea is looking more appealing all the time.
I'll get with my partner Monday night and talk about it. I think it might be the best option for me.

#45 ·
For $16 an free shipping you can get this an it has 3 rails an will coexist with the stock irons .

http://www.amazon.com/See-through-T...id=1386383924&sr=8-11&keywords=ak+scope+mount

I was considering getting couple but im broke if nothing else I could cut them up for other projets

looking at your picture I have seen some of those tri rails for some AR set up I think it was a carry handle upper set up that would all most repace the entire cover with the rail alone on a AK. they were a bit short . I have one Ill set it on top of a receiver an take you a picture . you can make the bolt under any cover you wish .

the entire rail was like $15 I recall thinking hmmmm shorty receiver pistol potential .

Im not a big tri rail fan but if you added some of those rubber covers it might look damn good .

#47 ·
The problem is making something everyone would like.
Just as you don't like rails, I do and I cover my rails with ladder covers.

I'd love to make a copy of this, with a POF P12X piston driven handguard.

I always thought my design would be cooler than the Red Jacket ZK-SD, with the MI handguard

#54 · (Edited)
I'm designing a affordable base model weapon that can be modded any way the end user wants, including adding customer supplied AK rear sight base, gas tube, hand guards and front sight to make a Vityaz. (You'd just remove my parts and add yours on the forend.)

This doodle is of one of my ideas with dovetail sights and a Galil handguard for a (Saiga type) convertible base model.

#56 ·
Kingarmory has been busy doing the 3D cad work for the production model. I talked to him and he thought he would be finished by Sunday.
We will be making a model to test before the production run. Hope to start producing the full size 9mm Vityaz model by summer.

#57 ·
That's awesome brother!!! Hope it all goes smoothly.

#62 ·
Joe was doing the CAD work and the computer system crashed. All the files were corrupted and don't want to load on the new computer.
Basically, He starting over.
I'm not going to speculate when everything will be done. Because to be honest, I really don't know.

#65 · (Edited)
Sterling mags are not made anymore, so I thought I'd just update to a newer style mag. (Before anyone asks, no I have no plans to do anything with Glock mags). "Too many Gens"
Aaron at VT Tactical let me borrow some AR parts to pull some measurements.

#69 ·
That is already being done by someone else I know and I don't want to screw him over. It would be bad Karma.
This is some of the prototype stuff. 9mm ak
Volk Armament will be making the Vityaz clone that uses MP5 mags.
I'm think some pics are on the web if you look hard enough for them

#67 ·
Very impressed with the progress and direction of this project. I have something similar on the back burner, but of course I don't have a class-7 to build anything for commercial purposes. I expect that to change in the not-so-near future. The trick to me is getting someone with the proper CAD equipment on board to build those "special parts". Honestly thought about investing in one myself but I don't have 5-figures to put toward one. Looked at some of the DIY CAD bolt-on kits but my impression is that they don't seem to be robust for business use, only for hobby use where you can afford them to be offline.

#71 ·
Damn, that's pretty!!!! So, you got some more info? Range report? Reliability? Cost? Inquiring minds want to know!! LOL. BTW, welcome aboard M-I !!

#73 ·
Hey Kenny, good to see you on the board!! I missed you bud. Hope everything is ok.

#74 ·
Hey buddy!
Well, I was worried myself for a while. I was only given a 20% chance of living this long, but had some test done on Wed and they came back good. Not much gun stuff going on, but I did design a new 9mm Vityaz type weapon and the mockup has a working LRBHO.
I have been spending most of my time working on my old Kawasaki collection when it's not butt ass cold and hunting for bikes to add to it.

I built the biggest endure I have ever seen from my leftover parts and it runs like a champ now.

I'll be adding this classic sidecar for my dog Moses.

I've been picking up some triples also. I have to go to Chicago to pick up a triple ice racer with Lester wheels after my trip to the South Podre Islands next week.

I picked this triple up a couple weeks ago.

I'm making it into a clone of this flat tracker from back in the day.

Take care
Kenny

#76 ·
#78 ·
Lol, I built that endure out of my leftover junk and the suspension from a 82 police bike, except for the 82 GS1100E swingarm.
Yes, they call Kaw triples "widow makers" for a reason.
I'll pick up my second H1 in a couple of weeks. Hope to get a H2 in the future.

I've been looking at these bikes for ideas for my other bike and the extra motor I have

I'm having a hard time finding a Ninja with a bad motor and title though, but I'm sure one will show up sometime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.