Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Romy G to 308 Based 44?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    I looked at that one but I'd like to keep with common brass.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the 44-06 is listed int he handloaders guide to manual cartidge conversions .

a 44 auto mag is made from 308 or simular brass .

these all require labor intensive work to make make brass .

you can make a 45 on 30-06 brass but there is going to be no taper an it will need to be inside reamed .

any of these can be loaded down to what ever power level you want .

there is also extra long 45 brass from starline ( I think ) so you could build a 45 auto long version or just copy the ones already built .

Id rather have case capacity to go up in power than be resticted by a small case .

for 45 acp power levels you might as well just build a blow back.

IMO your setting some pretty narrow performance guidelines that in truth there are likely a few hundered calburs an varaints that will kill what ever your hunting just as dead just as fast an likely cheaper .

If your going to build this on a ak thats gas operated Id worry more about getting it to feed an what mags your going to use . anything is possable but if you an use a ready made mag that fits a AK as is your a heas of the game.

I think HC Pookie had a thread on 45 cal on 308 or similar brass about 6 years ago .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

BTW as 450 bush master uses a 45 cal bullet an likely be laoded subsonic like you looking at . Im not sure if brass is svaliable or not . remintgon is good at introducing shit an not backing it up.

458 grendal will also do what you want if loaded correctly an will uses cast bullets in 458 cal.

50 beowuld will do it also .

they will alls work with ak or ar mags .

getting a subsoninc or 1100 FPS sr to cycle in a gas gun like a romy g is going tobe tough it will be way over gassed if you load up to max power .

ther eis ot a lot of sence in cutting up 45 cents a case rifle brass to make a 100 fps pistol round as you said a 45 acp will do it .

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The Auto Mag needed inside neck reaming since the case was cut off to 1.3"; the brass starts getting thicker back there. If you cut it off at 1.7" or more it'll be thinner near the mouth.

I'd use an AK-74 flat since it has the proper magwell opening, and use a '74 magazine since it is straighte than the '47. Just cut the case until it rides about what you want for the bullet, do a full mag's worth to make sure you don't have to adjust the overall length, and use any standard straight case .44 reamer to chamber the barrel.

The .44 case won't require grinding on the locking lugs like the SOCOM or Beowulf, plus brass would be cheap.

Figure performance somewhere in between a .44 Magnum and .444 Marlin, depending on how you loaded it. 240 grains at 2000 fps (pulling a number out of the air) would be no joke.
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If you're using an off the shelf reamer, you'll need to make sure it will make a shoulder for the case necks to headspace on and not have a taper in that area since you're going from rimmed to rimless cases.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the 44 auto mag requires you to swedge down 308 brass a lot then inside ream.
    IMO the 444??? is a better set up.
    less brass prep. just cut an expand straight then size. it gives more taper something much needed in a Ak autoloader. you get bigger chamber to feed into more case capacity . you get thicker necks so you have more to head space off of. you get a round thats the correct lenght for many standard mags.
    if you can shoot cast lead in 444 marlin then a 1.80" version will be even better.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If your building from scratch I just build a 444 marlin rimless .
    http://www.shootersforum.com/wildcat...44-marlin.html

I have thread on it here some were also. Its waht inspired the 444??? I have spoken to Ken owel who has made a few bolt guns an he used a standard reamer originally an just ran in a standard reamer to get a edge to head space off of .

If I ever get a 444 marlin reamer an ther screw in a barrel build done I will do a barrel in 444 marlin rimless.
    The 444 marlin shoots cast lead just fine an would also shoot Hornady leverlution 444 marlin ammo pretty dang fast . a rimless load would be about the same .

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

No, you just cut and ream .308 brass to make .44 Auto Mag. No swaging needed. The case is only 1.3" long; it gets thicker at the back quickly because of guns like the CETME and H&K with their delayed-blowback system.
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I guess I thought he 44 auto mag had reduced case head ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Nope, .308 has the same casehead size as .45 auto. No need to rebate the rim, like the .50AE does to get it down to .44 mag size so they can use the same bolt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.