Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Romy G to 308 Based 44?

Feedback Score

Default Romy G to 308 Based 44?

I've spent several hours reading and searching this but would still like to hear your input about converting a Romy G to this wildcat. I realize it's likely been done but any info for converting a Romy G would be greatly appreciated.

So,
    Goal is to use heavy cast bullet and create a slow-moving, low-flash, sort of quiet, 1100 fps projectile for use at night around the home. Wild dogs, coyotes, etc under 75 yds at night. I know it won't be quiet, but I don't want to shoot in the middle of the night and be totally blind and deaf.

Cut 308 case at shoulder and insert 44 bullet.
    Headspace on the case mouth.
    Resize with 308 die, Expand mouth with Lyman M die, Seat and Crimp with 44 mag collet pistol die?

Questions:
    Can the Romy G bolt be opened up enough to take a 308 rim?

Will the action handle this cartridge? No idea what pressure it would generate, but a 250-300 gr bullet at 1100 is what I'm thinking. Maybe push it to 1500 and try taking a whitetail deer at 100 and under.

Best twist, and will it be possible to find a barrel blank without breaking the bank?

Mags?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Should look something like the middle round. Bullet is a 45 I whittled down to fit for the mock up.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

I'm assuming that your plan is to be able to use standard AK mags?? Might look for Yugo M77 (.308?) mags to be able to maintain proper curve. Not sure if that'll be an issue. I'm not much on all the specs and chamber pressures etc.... I just do everything by feel. If the Romy kit is a firm starting point, it will definitely limit you some. An M76 (8mm) parts kit would probably be a better starting point. It sounds interesting though. Good luck with it.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I do remember a story about cutting down .308 cases to reload for the 44AutoMag that was around in the 70s. I saw one once in a shop in San Clemente, Calif. back in 1975. The price was $500.00. That was almost a months pay for a E-1 in the USMC back then. It would have been a good investment.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score

The Romy is what I have so that's what I'll be working with. Any other suggestion that meet my goal will be considered too.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The round has been made. Gunter an I were calling it the 444???? as we never named it . Gunter propsed the round after reading about my idea of a rimless 444 marlin so it would fit in a standard ak or ar mag

Ill find an post a link that will save you a lot of time if you really wan to do this .

in a nut shell it was a case made from 30-06 brass because to fit well in a ak or ar mag t 308 brass wuld need to be cut inthe middle of the shoulder. based on a 1.800 long aprox case .

a combination of 444 marlin dies an a special expander will produce brass .

you will need to remove most of the taper to make the round work .

your going tohave to head space off the casemouth .

a rimmless 444marlin casn be done also but will recure a littel more work to use 308 win length mags .

I have a barrel profiled I never have got the reamer done . Moleman an I were discussing it the other day.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Here is 23 pages on the subject .

I have a loaded live round on my desk here . I didn not have to look very hard for the thread it was only about 6 posts down from the top of this page BTW

44????

You can use 308 brass cut down but its going to be short for a ak mag . no sensce reinventing the 44 auto mag if you got 2.260" of mag room IMO.

a expanding arbor would straightn out 308 brass but I suspect the neck area will be pretty thick .

if your going to mainly shoot lead use what ever a 44 mag uses with lead as your only going to be able to run the same bullets the same speed or you will get fouling .

Gunter likley finished his gun we boith had a fair amount of money tiued up in the wild cat . He dissaperead from the internet years ago for privacy reasons as I recall. We were waithing oin the leverlution bullets to be released as they would be trhe best option for speed an feeding of a .430 bullet into a .472 hole . I miss Gunter on this site . i have about 100 PM's on this round from him when we were working out the details . I loaded 10 live rounds just to say I did it first .

ther rimless 444 marlin has been done in bolt actions a would work in a AK also .

I like to keep chamber pressure at around 50,000 PI or under on a .470 bolt face . Im not saying it safe It just what i limit my 308 rimed AKs to . that woud give well over 2000 FPS with this round BTW

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

a 458 socom or 450 bush master or 50 bewuof will also work well with cast lead you wont need custom reamers an dies.

Resize with 308 die, Expand mouth with Lyman M die, Seat and Crimp with 44 mag collet pistol die?
    This is going to give you a hour glass lookign round. the neck is going to be to thick for 44 mag dies an the 44 mag die si going to try to size down the 308 sized brass to far.

a 45 remington would work well also or a down laoded 358 win .

hionestly for a lead only 1000 FPS round a 44 automag would be the best bet . persobnaly Id rather have the extra capacity of an be able to load up .
    A auto mag as I recall requires inside neck reaming. Maybe that was a 45 version ?

there is a thread on a auto mag here some were I think HC POOKIe was looking at doing it a long time ago

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

IIRC, someone here converted an AK to .45, same rim diameter. Should work.

Feedback Score

Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like I have a bunch more research ahead. The 45acp would provide the ballistics I'm looking for and have readily available dies, reamer, bullets, etc. I found a .45-08 that is made for hotter loads. It's a .308 case cut down to 45 acp length and reamed inside.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.