Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: wildcat 40 cal AK

Feedback Score

Here's the reamer blank. I need to go through and touch it up in a few spots with diamond files, then polish it up. It'll be ready to have the flutes cut into it then. I changed the shoulder angle slightly from before. Once I fire-form some rounds, I'll make a reamer to cut the case forming dies.

reamer6.jpg

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Hell yeah we gots some building by God instead of just politics!!!!!!!!! I'm absolutely tickled!!! Very interesting build/wildcat there Krag. Keep the updates coming!
    sniper69 likes this.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Got the cutter in yesterday and couldn't wait so I sat out in the garage last night doing the final cuts! I'm spot on in final dimensions and am extremely pleased with the reamer.

All I need to do now is the relief cuts on the backside of the cutting flutes and final stoning of the edges and I'm good to go. I'll cut a test chamber in some soft rod-stock and do a fit check with one of my formed brass. If all is good, I'll have the barrel chambered this weekend and can finish this project fairly quickly.

reamer8.jpg reamer7.jpg

We could make this political as well....

I'll rename the cartridge to the ".228 Pelosi" and just rename the caliber every month, but never actually get it right.

You know...constantly flip-flop, but never make sense! Hah!

Feedback Score

I reamed an aluminum block and test fit a few brass. The last 1/8" was pretty "snug". I pulled the brass to look them over. They are rubbing just below the shoulder. Not an issue at all, though! In fact, it was kind of expected.

***Keep in mind, these brass were formed using a "far from perfect" reamer built just to reduce the neck of the 300/7mm mag brass, and it was pretty rough. This resulted in a slight bulge just below the shoulder and rounded ends to the shoulder. I'll be making a case-forming-die reamer based on actual fire-formed cases and the chamber reamer from more of this 440C rod and going through all the same steps as with the chamber reamer. Dies will be made from A2 die steel. Correcting the rub seen here is nothing more than adjusting the case forming design measurements to match actual chamber/case dimensions.

Aside from that, the brass fit great. The top and bottom of the shoulder line up perfect when the belt is seated. Case length has ~0.05" still in front so I get a hair of tolerance on resizing case length after stretch...and I'm sure this case will stretch! It fit better than my 300 WM brass in my model 70, and that rifle shoots "cloverleaf" holes at 200 yards!

I'm ready to chamber the barrel! I need to turn the case rims to fit the AK bolt face, then I can make sure the chamber depth is proper by locking a case in the bolt and checking fit.

I'm stoked!

reamer9.jpg reamer10.jpg

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kragaxe View Post
    Got the cutter in yesterday and couldn't wait so I sat out in the garage last night doing the final cuts! I'm spot on in final dimensions and am extremely pleased with the reamer.

All I need to do now is the relief cuts on the backside of the cutting flutes and final stoning of the edges and I'm good to go. I'll cut a test chamber in some soft rod-stock and do a fit check with one of my formed brass. If all is good, I'll have the barrel chambered this weekend and can finish this project fairly quickly.

reamer8.jpg reamer7.jpg

We could make this political as well....

I'll rename the cartridge to the ".228 Pelosi" and just rename the caliber every month, but never actually get it right.

You know...constantly flip-flop, but never make sense! Hah!
    LMAO!!! Funny, but please don't. I'm enjoying some building again. Hell I'm too broke to build anything anymore, so I have to live vicariously through some of you that are still building. :-)

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Chamber is getting reamed this evening, so the cartridge dimensions are "set in stone" now.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Hell yeah we gots some building by God instead of just politics!!!!!!!!! I'm absolutely tickled!!! Very interesting build/wildcat there Krag. Keep the updates coming!
    Yea remember when guys used to build guns here ???

The build looks great so far. Guys who make reamers from scratch Impress me BTW .

So is this going to be called a 40 Kragaxe ???
    sniper69 likes this.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    Yea remember when guys used to build guns here ???

The build looks great so far. Guys who make reamers from scratch Impress me BTW .

So is this going to be called a 40 Kragaxe ???
    Yeah making your own reamer is pretty hardcore! I'm very impressed.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Yeah making your own reamer is pretty hardcore! I'm very impressed.
    Ditto, and me too
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.