Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thompson 45 Parts Kits

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Thompson 45 Parts Kits

Seen those on Centerfire's site? Gets me thinking

Other than the Tannery Shop, where does one get information about 80% receivers? I'm thinking a receiver blueprint would be a nice thing to have.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I have bad new Pookie...According to Tara B they are already sold out of those
    "It's all over but the cryin'!"Moonshiner

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

IMA still has Thompson parts kits listed.

http://www.ima-usa.com/index.php/cPa...6b14e9d7340302

Philadelphia Ordnance has 80% Thompson receivers. They have 1928 and M1/M1A1 styles available.

http://www.philaord.com/products/m1.html

If you're not going to go the SBR route, I got the 16" barrel for my AK.45 project from Tommygunshop.com They have exploded diagrams showing the semi-auto parts. They also have some pics of actual parts, so you could copy the design.

http://www.tommygunshop.com/main_tm1.asp

I bought my Thompson M1A1 parts kit a LONG time ago. Even if I don't do anything with it for quite a while, I'm glad I bought it. I want to copy the semi-auto parts used in the Kahr arms version. For the receiver, I was just going to mill the bolt slot narrower so the full-auto bolt can't be installed. I'll have to do something to eliminate the selector function, maybe make a new shaft without the offset for the disconnector. I could bush or enlarge the hole so the original selector wouldn't fit.

I'll upload the Thompson M1A1 blueprint .PDF for you in a little while.

EDIT:

http://home.woh.rr.com/rnystrom/Thompson_M1A1.pdf

Sorry for the lousy quality of the .PDF. I thought I had a better one, but they were duplicates of this one... Roadrunner seems to be acting up, so right click on the link and save the file.
    The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score

What does it mean when barrel and reciever must be heat fitted ?

I have been thinking of building one of these for awhile, just have no idea on how hard it is.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

The parts are heated and then assembled while hot. When they cool, it takes supernatural intervention to get them back apart.

I had seen a webpage with a Class II shop building M1A1s on the Philadelphia receivers. One problem is that the keyway for the extractor needs to be broached, and IIRC it's not a common size. I can't find the link to the page now, though... ARRRRGH!!

I haven't really thought about the semi-auto conversion parts too much, but there will need to be a new bolt (possibly rework an M1 with a different firing pin setup), striker, and disconnector. The Thompson selector slides the disconnector out of the bolt's path with an offset shoulder on the selector shaft, so a new disconnector is a necessity.

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score

For the receiver, I was just going to mill the bolt slot narrower so the full-auto bolt can't be installed. I'll have to do something to eliminate the selector

I would say if its possible to mill the slot WIDER... Reason why: you can FILE the FA bolt guide NARROWER quite easy with some patience..but its hard to make it WIDER without welding and all sortsa work... just something to think on

Have a good one...L8R

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Been a while since I played with a Tommy (semi). The factory semis actually go vertical on their dimension change, the upper and matching bolt are not as tall. This is why you have to open up the retainer hole on the FA mags to get them to fit a semi, they hit the upper and stop before the mag gets high enough to lock in. IIRC, the lower mods are only a new disconnector pin, it is solid withoout the offset that allows the selector to cam it down out of the way. The extractor slot is not critical, as long as it is wide/deep enough to clear the extractor it will work. You could even drill the hole for the bolt nose oversize and eliminate the slot altogether. Might not look original, but would work.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Jerry,

Here's the link I had mentioned...

http://www.99main.com/~heavymg/TSMG.html

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

HCPookie, have you ever seen a kit that didn't get you thinking???????????
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Jerry, Ohio Ordnance Works was advertising in the Shot Gun News that they had parts kits. I could not find them on their web site however. If you are interested give them a call. Jack
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

What ever it is I'm against it.
    Always question authority.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.