Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sten MKIII build info...?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Sten MKIII build info...?

Has anyone here used an SAS3 build kit to assemble a legal Sten MKIII? If so, do the instructions have enough detail to complete the build without guess work?

What are the US parts count, if any? Also, is the original trigger group 100% usable for S/A with modification?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks . I know that the receiver tube has a smaller ID to prevent using the original bolt. I was hoping that with all of the members here that someone had put one of the SAS3 kits together. I have some Sten kits and I want to build one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I know what you mean about funds. I have enough AK kits to last a while. But I was thinking about after the first of the year when the kits with barrels dry up.

Right now I am researching so that I know exactly what I am up against.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by RTO68-69
    Has anyone here used an SAS3 build kit to assemble a legal Sten MKIII? If so, do the instructions have enough detail to complete the build without guess work?

What are the US parts count, if any? Also, is the original trigger group 100% usable for S/A with modification?
    Instructions are easy to follow with photos. US parts included are trunions, receiver, bolt, hammer. Non-count US parts are firing pin, recoil rods, springs, barrel extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephus
    I never tried one but from what I've read on thier site [It's been awhile] they take a trigger and a bolt out of a AR15 and in corperate it in the sten some how so it can be fired semi !!!! If I still had the link I'd give it to ya but I lost almost all of that when the pooter dumped !!!!
    Wrong.

Bolt is entirely new manufacture, not at all similar to AR15.

Original Sten trigger group is used.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

I heard there is a new set of semi parts available, the old conversions really didn't work well if at all. there was some informatioin on this on the 1919 board recently.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by pirate56
    I heard there is a new set of semi parts available, the old conversions really didn't work well if at all. there was some informatioin on this on the 1919 board recently.
    I built a MKII, MKIII, and a MK5 on the SAS3 kits and all work wonderfully! Much more reliable than the old Catco sten I had.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

donvito, if I purchase the SAS3 kit will I need anything else to complete the build? Other than the MKIII parts kit. Also, do I have to contact the BATF for this build with the SAS3 kit?

Thank you for the info.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by RTO68-69
    donvito, if I purchase the SAS3 kit will I need anything else to complete the build? Other than the MKIII parts kit. Also, do I have to contact the BATF for this build with the SAS3 kit?

Thank you for the info.
    You will need the basic cut up Sten SMG kit. That's it. No need to contact ATF. There is an ATF letter with it outlining what is required for a build. The SAS3 kit has been inspected and approved by ATF tech branch as well. I done builing as I have one of each but I heard they are offering one smg kit with every sas3 kit purchased for only $30 so I may be ordering another one!

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

I have a full kit and a full semmi kit to build it with from the place mentioned above , the kit looks prety easy because the instructions are very compleat looking , with many pics. I have not done it due to time.
    It realy looks to me as if the most dificult thing would be carefully grinding then old spot welds apart. not too bad...
    price well a littel high in my oppinion , not for the work involved to make the conversion kit but for me, the end price and the looks of the finished gun ... well I just like AK's.
    if you like to look fo the kit I would go for it .. if you understand an AK build you can do this build too..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I've done a few tube gun's . Hardest part for me was getting the old kit apart .
    Will Hayden, RedJacket Firearms
    www.Redstick-Firearms.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.