Gunco Forums banner

Got another Suomi kit

6K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  dutigaf 
#1 ·
I can't wait till someone makes available a way to build these semi. I now have 3 of these $20.00 kits. I want like crazy to have a 9mm carbine.
Centerfire Systems have really gone out of their way for me here the past few weeks as every single kit I have ordered from them has been in outstanding shape. I was very impressed with my Yugo's from them. Even these Suomi's look new, for the most part.
Heres my latest Suomi kit. I don't know what good it does to have the demilled receiver but I guess its cool to have something to model the 80% blanks from.

See less See more
#3 ·
I wonder if that's an early or late demil? What I'm getting at is I wonder if this kit not having the cocking handle and spring cut was demilled with the intent to save those parts.

I've got 4 of them so far, but all have the cocking handles torched.

#5 ·
I received two of these $20 Suomi kits with my RPK and PPSh-41 kits two weeks ago and both of them are intact and packaged just like the above picture. I'll be receiving a third kit when the RPD finally ships and am thinking about ordering another PPSh and $20 kit this week which would give me four...trying to make an excuse to buy another kit or two for more additional $20 Suomi's. Anyone know if the CFS $20 Suomi kits are going away the end of December like their $8.99 flat rate shipping is?

#6 ·
You know I'm looking at this from a different perspective. The fact that, like a Sten, we have to re-build practically the entire weapon from the ground-up to make it a legal & functional semi carbine, I'm looking at the potential to feed from the side like a Sten or that German WW2 carbine, based loosely on the Uzi design.

May even use a square steel tube for the receiver!

#7 ·
I think these kits were from the bottom of the pile, which means they were cut first. Somewhere along the line, the people cutting them started getting lazy and not pulling the cocking handle or making any effort to avoid messing up the front filler. I ordered some stuff from Centerfire recently and added 2 Suomis with my order in hopes of getting one of these better kits.

#8 ·
The quality of these CFS kits just keep getting better all the time. This is one that came today. Just out of the box - only wiped grease/dirt off the receiver. Minimum torch slag. Barrel excellent to "as new". Sling came along attached to buttstock and barrel shroud. Stock only has a couple very slight dings/scratches - it will clean up very nicely. Word/name "KarPr" written on buttstock in felt marker.

Attachments

#9 ·
Thats cool that you even got a sling. I have too much flash from the cuts to fit my receivers into the stock. Was your cocking handle and spring intact ?

I have already started ordering parts to do a semi auto build. I think these will make a fine 9mm carbine, especially with the AR FCG. I am wondering if the national match trigger groups would work in them. I read an interesting story about the Suomi @ gunwriters and it seems these rifles are outstandingly accurate.

I can't wait to get mine done.

#10 ·
CFS strikes agian. Same price for kits of all differnet demills. My first 2 had everything torched. Second 4 I had 3 kits that had mostlty useable rear and front fillers. The second 4 had the all teh coking handle in tact. I also got one M31/42 kit which has the funky built in muzzle brake.

Lois told me that the kits were all done at the same time and they have been all over the map as far as de-mill goes.

I got one for a Suomi build and 3 for 9MM SuomAK's :D

#11 ·
SangRun Hunter said:
CFS strikes agian. Same price for kits of all differnet demills. My first 2 had everything torched. Second 4 I had 3 kits that had mostlty useable rear and front fillers. The second 4 had the all teh coking handle in tact. I also got one M31/42 kit which has the funky built in muzzle brake.

Lois told me that the kits were all done at the same time and they have been all over the map as far as de-mill goes.

I got one for a Suomi build and 3 for 9MM SuomAK's :D
How is that Suomi AK hybrid working out ? I am interested in seeing how it is going to be built. I may use one of my kits for that. I only have three and I will build one as a semi suomi and keep another for extra parts since they really won't be available in the future. My 3rd one, well its still up in the air... I have had a few people want to buy it from me because of the cocking handle/ spring, and the front filler. It seems numerich is out of front fillers. I had to order a new rear filler while they still had some because I do not feel like rebuilding mine.

#12 ·
C_Kassidy said:
How is that Suomi AK hybrid working out ? I am interested in seeing how it is going to be built. I may use one of my kits for that. I only have three and I will build one as a semi suomi and keep another for extra parts since they really won't be available in the future. My 3rd one, well its still up in the air... I have had a few people want to buy it from me because of the cocking handle/ spring, and the front filler. It seems numerich is out of front fillers. I had to order a new rear filler while they still had some because I do not feel like rebuilding mine.

I got a new rear filler fom Numerich too the other day.

May machinist says he'll have it shipped back soon to me. He sleeved the barrel to fit in a 5.45 trunion and I will use the 5.45 bolt to as it is very close to 9mm case size.

The 5.45 trunion doesn't need to be used, but the stick mag fits in it well and not so well in a 7.62 truinion. See these pics and when I get the barrel back I will show more pics. I will have to send the barrel back as the machinist will be adding a brake to the front to make it leagl as well.

#14 ·
C_Kassidy said:
Thats cool that you even got a sling. I have too much flash from the cuts to fit my receivers into the stock. Was your cocking handle and spring intact ?
Yes. Also, front filler in great shape. Rear filler torched well but could be rebuilt but easier to just install new one. Flashing seen on tube (or not seen) is how this one came. Must have been a hot, sharp flame or plasma cutter.

#15 ·
Illya Kuryakin said:
The quality of these CFS kits just keep getting better all the time. This is one that came today. Just out of the box - only wiped grease/dirt off the receiver. Minimum torch slag. Barrel excellent to "as new". Sling came along attached to buttstock and barrel shroud. Stock only has a couple very slight dings/scratches - it will clean up very nicely. Word/name "KarPr" written on buttstock in felt marker.
HOLY CRAP that thing looks good! :usuck: If the kit I had gotten looked that good I may have already tried to convert it! I think there was more slag than useable receiver on it...

I just ordered another and am thinking more seriously about the square tubing idea. I'm not thinking original repro, but more of a hybrid clone one-off. It will look more like a sten than anything else. It may turn into a total mess, but we'll see.

That's a good catch!

#16 ·
Illya Kuryakin said:
I may have to order something just to get a couple of these $20.00 beauties.

#19 ·
Ordering two Yugo M70 fixed stock kit, might as well add two Suomi kits since the price is so low. The worst case I will use those thick and nice Finish barrels for single shot conversion to fit into my H&R 20ga singleshot shot gun.....should work ok, and @ only $20 each......

Have fun

#20 ·
Just an FYI....

This morning I ordered a fixed stock yugo kit and got the suomi kit to go with it. The person I placed the order with said that 'the boss' said that since they were running so low on the stick mags they were told to stop selling them so they'd have enough for the kits that were going out. Turns out... she doesn't have a stick mag for me. But the boss said that in such a case they could substitute a drum for an extra $15. Long story longer... I just got a suomi kit with a drum for $35.

#22 ·
My cuts were pretty slagged up and rough. The finish, barrel condition, shroud, and everything else including stock looked to be unissued. It a crying shame to cut something like that up, aint it?:angry:

#26 ·
got my kits the other day Both were in reasonably god shape. blueing verry good.stocks in good condition
So if I weld the barrel closed and don't even put the fireing pin bolt assembly in the revever can I then weld up the torch cut recever to make it into a dummy gun?
If yes, were can I find something written by the BATF that says this is ok?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.