Thread: Suomi - easy take down lever restoration

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Suomi - easy take down lever restoration

The Suomi take down lever is demilled such that the rivet head on the left hand side is drilled out there by allowing removal of take down lever before heating receiver with torch. Unfortunately this leaves the take down lever a bit of a mess.

Easy enough fix though. Remove demilled pin stub by cutting off. File surface relatively smooth, but minimize any material removed (important not to take off material). Drill and tap for #10-32 grade 1, long shank bolt (this case I used a Panhead). Install bolt (apply Locktite if you wish) into hole and torque tightly. Remove bolt head by cutting. Take down lever is now restored for final fitting for length and forming rivet head. Another option would be to thread shank end for a nut instead of forming rivet head then pin the nut.

I'm sure there are many other ways to restore these levers, I just thought this method was easy enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

I thought about tapping it and putting a hex head allen in there. Easy to take apart and service.

I'm not either, but I thought I read somewhere that the barrel on these have to be fixed in place and cannot be made to be taken off easliy.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I need to read more on the subject. As far as fixed barrel maybe a way to keep it looking as authentic as possible would be to use rivet head, then spot weld takedown lever in place such that it cannot be turned. Another way would be pin the lever to the front filler and fill with weld (blind pin). Not sure if that way would even be okay - need to do some research. I'm not sure why these are different from say a semi Uzi or MG-42 and such where they would require fixed barrel. I definitely do not know everything and it's well worth looking into.

Do you remember where your build thread was located ? I'd like to read what you have to say and what you found out along the way.

Almost forgot; Only thing to figure out in using a allen head or other type bolt would be to get the bolt to bottom out without putting axial load into the bearing surfaces and also to keep the axial free play down to a minimum. The preload will be your primary locking feature - without it you would need to pin it or go with some other alternate locking feature. May just have to make custom length bolt by threading the shank to get just the right fit.

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Weaponeer has had a lot of posts on these the last few months, including the legality (or not) of having a receiver capable of accepting an original length bbl via the quick change feature. Some believe since guns like the Uzi have features to prevent dropping in a subgun length bbl the Suomi must have something similar. Others point to the TC decision and say nonsense. Who knows? Unless ATF sends out a letter spelling it out one way or the other specific to the Suomi, it's all just speculation anyway.

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum...p?TID=520&PN=1

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Hell will freeze over before the ATF spell out anything well enough to rule out misinterpretation. Seems vague is the name of the game to that beaurocratic creature.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Bureaucracy is what keeps these guys employed, without bureaucracy what would they do?

On the Uzi agrument, there are aftermarket barrels in the 10 inch range that are built to slip right in on a semi without any mods reqd. Maybe the argument may relate to possession of short barrel, along with the associated rifle with barrel over 16", could be taken as intent to construct a SBR - so would possession of a hack saw also be taken as intent where one could cut a 16" barrel shorter??

I know, logic doesn't apply but had to try anyway

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Did I do that?

Feedback Score

Tommerr, who is a member of this board, has a BATF approved solution to this problem. And it allows the barrel to be removed.

Greg
    www.gunbuilds.com

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.