Thread: sten -v- sterling

Feedback Score

Default sten -v- sterling

I have played with the Sterling, but never seen a Sten in person before.
    Is a Sterling a Sten MK-V or totally different weapon?

Reason I ask is I have ordered some MK-III kits and was wondering if its possible to visually make one look like the Sterling.
    Next step would be to make one look like the Star Wars Storm Trooper blaster. Yeah I know I am a geek, but I think it would be cool to have a 9mm SA carbine that looked like the blaster
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by aloharover
    I have played with the Sterling, but never seen a Sten in person before.
    Is a Sterling a Sten MK-V or totally different weapon?

Reason I ask is I have ordered some MK-III kits and was wondering if its possible to visually make one look like the Sterling.
    Next step would be to make one look like the Star Wars Storm Trooper blaster. Yeah I know I am a geek, but I think it would be cool to have a 9mm SA carbine that looked like the blaster
    If you want a Sterling, the MKIII kits are of no use to you. No parts interchange. The only dimensions that are the same is the inner and outer tube diameter and the STEn tube is too short. The bolt handle also protrudes at a different angle on the Sterling, about 15degrees difference if memory serves me. Now if you're building a semi-auto you could probably get away with altering the handle slot, but it can't be done on a FA gun. There is a AFT rule which states you CAN NOT alter any existing reciever cuts. Maybe on a semi you can get around that. I have a transferable Mk2 and I looked into doing the "STEnling" conversion several years ago. There is a Title II manufacturer down in Ft. Myers that has it down to an art form. He gets around the cocking handle hangup by making a neat off-set new handle.

Feedback Score

Comparing a Sten to a Sterling is like comparing a Cadillac to a Rolls Royce Phantom-III-or something along those lines.
    But from having fired full-auto with mk.2's, 3's, and 5's, and a Sterling, I'd say for handling, that a mk.5 is a close runner up.
    Too bad I could never bring one home.hehe
    There were some Sterling kits out there not long ago, but seems like they dried up, at least for now.
    --8mm-man--

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

watch the weaponeer group, they just did a gb on 50 sets, rumored that the fellow has 100 more and some spare mags to sell

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by panaceabeachbum
    watch the weaponeer group, they just did a gb on 50 sets, rumored that the fellow has 100 more and some spare mags to sell
    Yeah I saw that group buy. $350 is too much for me for a single kit.
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 8mm-man
    Too bad I could never bring one home.hehe
    --
    Heard that. We were able to get some Sterlings from the Kurds for under 75$ ea. What a great fun little gun. Sure wish the Feds would change the rules concerning war suvineers.
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score

If you are willing to make your own receiver for the MKIII, then you can make a longer receiver for the MKIII parts, barrel bushing and etc.

You will have to make a different endcap for the receiver. The simplest is the S & W 76 SMG type endcap.

Use a AK pistol grip, and alter the trigger housing for use under the middle of the receiver.

It's all up to your design ability, imagination. and building skills.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Heard that. We were able to get some Sterlings from the Kurds for under 75$ ea. What a great fun little gun. Sure wish the Feds would change the rules concerning war suvineers.
    The Kingdom of Iraq had the first contract for Sterlings......which is why they are all over there.

They bought them even before the British Gov't did.

I have one of the Andrewski built select fire Sterlings MK. 4's and they are a dream to shoot.

The Stens have the advantage of inexpensive magazines.
    "RPG kaboom tank!"

Comrade Soldier Koverchenko

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Yeah I saw that group buy. $350 is too much for me for a single kit.
    Get back with me in a couple of years with that train of thought and let me know how it works out . LOL

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.