Gunco Forums banner

conversion of 7.62x25 to 9mm

6K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  perry 
#1 ·
specifically on a yugo M56 and PPs-43. Yes, I know about the Kp-44, but like the looks of the PPS better. What would be involved in this? It appears to me that all I would need would be a new barrel and some had fitting/tuning of the feed ramps. Does anyone have any input? I am moderately skilled as a gunsmith, though mostly on 1911's and more recently Hi-powers and HK P7's. I have a decent shop with lathe, mill, surface grinder, welders, etc.
Also, where would be the best place to find pre-chambered or short chambered 9mm bbl. blanks?
Thanks,
C.J.

#4 ·
I've loaded up a PPS-43 mag with 9mms, you'll probably want to put a metal insert either in the front or back of the inside of the mag, and mod the feed lips. I noticed the beginnings of nose diving, and binding when I finger stripped the rounds.

Another route would be to convert Sterling or MP5 mags to lock into the mag well, but that might be a tad expensive.

#6 ·
sten mags are cheap enough, but not really the same hook up point..although im sure you could change it..

how about this: tell me what you think: take the 9mm conversion set up that uses the mp 40 mags and try it with your $15 barrel? they made this for the ppsh41, but the 43 clips look to be the same at the attachment point. maybe this would slide right up in there for you? check that out and see.

the only drawback here is that the mp 40 mags are not cheap, but if the adapter slid in, it would be worth it.

#12 ·
A sten mag might be too long front to back to fit in the mag well right. Only reaso I say this, is that people have cut the re-enforcement rib out of them so that they could use 7.62x25 in a Sten mag. You'd also have to worry about thinning the feed lug so that it would fit through the single feed of the Sten, or re-form the feed lips so that it is double feed like the PPS-43 mags.

Suomi sticks might work, and they're about the same price.

#14 ·
Instead of 9x19 look at 9x23, brass is readily avail. and they fill the factory 7.62x25 mags perfectly. If you can reload, this may be just the thing for you. Ballistics are good and they are known to feed in full auto guns with just a bbl change.

#16 ·
Its NOT largo. Its winchester 9x23 I believe, they will physically interchange but shooting 9x23 in a largo barrel or weapon is dangerous. Let me check my notes and I'll get you the info.

EDIT:

9x23 winchester data: case length .900", max overall 1.300", 115 grain at 1517 fps out of a 5" bbl delivering 587 ftlbs

9mm largo (Bergmann Bayard) data: case length .905", max overall 1.300", 124 grain at 1190 fps for 390 ftlbs.

Although I can't lay my hands on the pressures, I do recall it was 2x more for the 9x23

the 7.62x25 shows a case length of .988" and an overall length of 1.377"

There are several people who can rechamber a 9x19 bbl to the 9x23 winchester.
You can reload with your 9mm dies both 9x23 and 9x19 but just change the depth of the seat etc.

#17 ·
uh i think i'll just stick with my 7.62x25..... its way cheap and very easy to get, and plenty hot enough for anything happening.

#19 ·
can you get 9mm for less than .10 a round? cause if you can, im all interested!! care to share?

no i dont reload, im too shaky!!!

thanks duti

#22 ·
amen brother. ive been trying to sell the 9 largo ideal for a long time . as far as 9x19 vs. 9x23 more power if u use the 9x23 winchester round. i dont really have a ideal of the difference of a 9x19 luger to a 9x23 largo or winchester but WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 ·
The only bad part of using 7.62x25 is that most of it is corrosive and in the year's to come it might be hard to get, and I know it's not a very long round. Where the 9x23 is. Sarco has
a bunch of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.