Gunco Forums banner

Uzi homebuilt full size "Pistol" with welded stock

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  MUSIBIKE 
#1 · (Edited)
I have questions on a homebuilt, full-sized, semi-auto Uzi pistol using the short SMG barrel. (Not intended nor wanted to be an SBR build). The desired effect is to recreate an Israeli issue looking Uzi, but still maintain legal pistol status. My questions are about using an original folding buttstock that is welded in the CLOSED position.

Is it legal to mount a welded closed folding stock onto an UZI pistol?

If it is legal, is it also required for it to be welded onto the pistol?

Or does a welded closed buttstock force it into SBR status?

Ideas or comments?

#5 ·
pjm204 said:
What about the pps43's where the overfolder stock is welded in the closed position and it is considered a pistol?
Thank y'all for your comments. But I'm still confused. The different valid replies from this discussion are why I'm asking. Anyone know if there is an ATF webpage with a ruling which can be posted here? Is ther another Gunco thread I need to research?

IF any AK/Uzi/PPS/xyz parts kit "stock" is welded inoperable into the closed position and then welded so it is unremovable onto the "pistol", is the pistol still a pistol?

Thank all y'all again,
TN Hillbilly

#6 ·
In the past, ATF has stated that a stock, even if it is welded shut/folded, is still a stock when attached to the firearm. This would make a short bbl build with welded closed stock an SBR. However, recently several commercial "pistols" made from subgun kits have appeared with folding stocks attached but welded in the folded position. Assuming these builds were approved by ATF, they would appear to have reversed their previous position and now do not consider them stocks anymore. AFAIK no one has posted a recent tech branch letter on this subject, so the only way to know for sure is to write ATF and ask. Personally, even if they say it is OK, I would leave the stock off. They could always change their mind again.

#7 ·
Manufacturers have welded on non-working buttstocks to give the impression of the NFA firearm. The item was still considered a pistol. The one that comes to mind is a collector's series MAC-10. It was a commemorative model and had the folding wire stock installed but welded up so that it couldn't be used. That MAC-10 was sold as a pistol.

If the item (stock) can't be used as a stock, meaning it's welded to the pistol and can't be unlocked/unfolded it serves no purpose other than a fancy sling attachment.

Yes, the ATF can (and does) change their mind on a lot of things, I just know that when those commemorative pistols were sold it was not considered a buttstock.

#12 ·
A Stock MUST NOT be able to be fitted to a PISTOL. OTHERWISE, IT IS AN SBR!

A PISTOL MUST have means such that a STOCK CANNOT be readily applied to the system. An SBR is a CLASS-III weapon. It must be transferred and applied for with a TAX STAMP like a machine gun transfer. DO NOT kid yourself. If you are found with an SBR without legal remedy such as a TAX STAMP, there will be serious penalties imposed.

MUSIBIKE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.