Thread: magzines question

Feedback Score

Default magzines question

hi all
    i wasnt able to fined any thread talking about a do it yourself guns magazines
    i know it should be easy but i didnt do it yet and i dont know much about em
    practically i wont to make ak s and browning hi powers clips myself
    any help or directions on how to step by step making them?
    or a site concerning that?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

The only thing I have seen is how to make STEN magazines. But just as they are cheap right now so are AK mags, the metal alone costs more than the completed magazine for sten and ak.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Magazine making is not something many home builders are into, AK mags especially are so cheap and plentiful there is no need to make them. Lots of tooling and work to make your own version of affordable commercially available stuff. I bend my own flats because a $10 flat + 30 minutes of my time = a lot less than $70+ for a commercial receiver and FFL fee.

That said, as I understand the process you have a series of punches and dies that form the magazines from flat sheet. Once it is formed the seam(s) are welded. Feed lips are hard to form and will have to be heat treated (without warpage) to be reliable and long lasting. I figure two internal punches, one for main body and one for feed lips, one external die for the intial bend and 1-2 more to close up the "box". At least one external punch to form the lips as well, possibly more if the bend is complex. On an AK, you will have an additional set to form the reinforcing plates at the top and have to machine or form the lugs for retaining it in the rifle.

Feedback Score

thaks for the fast reply folks
    i know that it is cheaper to by em but i would like to make few myslf for one good reason
    i wont to build an ak a to z (every and each part of it) even the bolt and bolt karear and the sand shid
    it aeams hard to do but that is my tipe of stile
    i may not be good enoph to do so yet but ill do ot one day
    i dont wont to say about my build that it contains xyz parts frome this or that dealer
    that would be more enjoyable if you agree with me

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.