Thread: which is easier to build, rom Ak or SAS3 sten?

Feedback Score

Default which is easier to build, rom Ak or SAS3 sten?

How would you compare the difficulty of these builds? It looks like a Semi auto sten would need fewer tools to assemble, maybe just a mig welder to stick the parts together once you had cut away the old reciever bits. It looks like an ak build needs alot of tools, 12 ton press, riveting tools, flat bending jigs, drill press, spot welder...?

Feedback Score

Romi builds are very easy,I have figured out a way to eliminate the press,rivet tools,jigs and drill press and no spot welding.First grind off top of rivits that are left in old receiver with dremal,only in rear trinion.next gring off expanded edges only on front trinion,leave center of rivet sticking out,cut bottom of old receiver and remove,next you can install rear trinion with rivets and flare with a hammer and a punch with a small detent drilled into the end(makes the rivet head round),slide receiver over rivets left in front and flare head with same punch with small detent,install FCG and go shooting,O and order a really good receiver ,pre hardened and all holes drilled from (www.nodakspud.com)$59.00 and $5.00 shipping.Hope this helps,and if your dead set on bending your own flat you can make a jig pretty easy.
    FREEDOM OR DEATH

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

You don't have to do any machining or much welding with an AK. The Sten requires use of a reduced inner diameter tube, requiring your bolt to be turned down (an original ID tube would allow insertion of a full auto bolt).

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Numbers favor the AK.

Rough guess is that perhaps 200,000 have been made in the US. The Sten homemade total may only be 1% of that.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

The AK hands down. No welding, no machining, no re-engineering of internal parts. Plus, the end result is a reliable firearm that looks exactly like the original vs. the SAS3 which looks like an anteater unless you spend another $200 to make it an SBR and who's reliability it hit or miss at best.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Reaper
    Romi builds are very easy,I have figured out a way to eliminate the press,rivet tools,jigs and drill press and no spot welding.First grind off top of rivits that are left in old receiver with dremal,only in rear trinion.next gring off expanded edges only on front trinion,leave center of rivet sticking out,cut bottom of old receiver and remove,next you can install rear trinion with rivets and flare with a hammer and a punch with a small detent drilled into the end(makes the rivet head round),slide receiver over rivets left in front and flare head with same punch with small detent,install FCG and go shooting,O and order a really good receiver ,pre hardened and all holes drilled from (www.nodakspud.com)$59.00 and $5.00 shipping.Hope this helps,and if your dead set on bending your own flat you can make a jig pretty easy.
    Not sure i got that. Gring off the rivit "expanded edges" then slide the receiver over the gringed off 'headless shafts' then use a hammer to reform the shafts into rivits again? You did that? I guess it sounds like it'd work but I'd love to see a pic. Hook me up with yer bending jig too, mine seems way too complex.
    Not to be a hater, just seems odd. My simean mind works slow sometimes and I need visual aides.
    Whatever site I read it on as a members tag line, it's the truest statement ever made.
    "Our forefathers would have been shooting by now"
    They would have a long time ago, when our government became self serving and lied so openly that the taste of disgust can't be cleared with bleach.
    WTF happened to our country?
    member # 575

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ashoe:

i love my sas3 builds.....(got several) with that said.

THE AK IS MUCH EASIER!!!

heres why: its not about the tools!! its the fine tuning! the semi sten takes some fine tuning to get it to work right and mags are picky.

with a Romy you just put it together and shoot it till your broke.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.