Thread: Building a sten

Feedback Score

Default Building a sten

I've been doing research on a sten build and it doesn't seem that hard. Would I be correct in assuming that this is not a very difficult build?

Does anyone know where I can get the least expensive sten parts kit?

Sportsman's guide sell Sten MkIII kits for $100 but I think they are missing at least a few parts http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=222996

I found receiver blanks and 80% recievers for sale at Prexis/Sten but I'm not sure what exactly I'd need to do once I got a reciever and a parts kit. Any info on a sten build?

It seems the reciever blanks and 80% recievers are basically just steel tubes with a template attached. The only difference I can see between the reciever blank and an 80% reciever is that the 80% has the bolt slot milled out already. Is this slot hard to mill out (worth the extra money) or should I just purchase the blank and mill it out myself (I can use the Bridgeport at work)?

If I order the reciever blank w/template attached can I complete the reciever with a drill press and mill or is it more complicated then that?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I think the going price for kits is around $100 now.
    I'm guessing your talking about a semi build ( I hope you are ). But if you got access to a mill, I'd get the blank with template. The hardest part of the receiver is cutting the cocking lever slot, just keeping it straight.

The hardest part over all is modding the bolt.

Feedback Score

It's hard and time consuming, almost like this damn PPSh41 *shakes fist*. I think that the idea of a sliding hammer should be been stricken from the rulebook and a convention hammer should always be used.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

just depends on how "machiny" you are... lots of good tube makers out there.

but the new SAS#3 kits from semisten.com are really tough to beat...

ive got a build thread on one here on the site and heres a link for you to Yooper Als

http://www.semiautosten.com/kits/details.html
    SEMIAUTOSTEN KITS!
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score

How exactly do you connect the reciever tube to the parts that come in the kit? Does it need to be riveted or something or could I use a wire-feed welder?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

it comes with complete directions if you get a SAS3 kit.....

but yes a wire feed welder works just fine.

im guessing you are not a tig guy? neither am i.

the new kits make this build pretty easy providing you take your time and read the directions and run thru the parts and get a feel of it BEFORE you actually do anything permanent.

just do a couple of dry runs on where you think it all goes and how it looks in the pix.

the most critical part is getting the mag housing at the proper alignment on these new sten kits. tack it together and check and recheck all your clearances before you actually nail it down.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Kyle,

Just in case your interested there is a place that sells several types of sten templates like left cocking or say mag on the bottom here is the link
    http://www.landsden.com/ go to the products services button (from main page) then click on the blueprints templates. just a side note they got lots of goodies there

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

nice link and some goodies there.

Feedback Score

this site has the complete blueprints for everything on the sten
    http://www.weaponryonline.com/Downlo...stPopular.html
    when all else fails ...get a bigger hammer

Feedback Score

Default Prexis

Go to prexis sten they have all the info & the Semi parts + the tubes for sale & free blue prints also try www.stenparts.com for the Tubes.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.