Gunco Forums banner

New New Sten tube mark3

5K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  rocco1911 
#1 · (Edited)
OK guys, am trying to get some input on these new sten tubes. As you can see in the pics its not just another piece of muffler pipe but as close as you can come to a real sten tube. It has a lot of metal to mill your top site. spot weld the top of the tube together and mill or grind your top site and you'll have an authentic looking sten. I am just feeling the waters befor I put them on the market so any input you have would be appreciated.:brows:
Tiger917

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A question from a position of ignorance;

Is it the same inside diameter as the original tube?

#5 ·
ok several things for you:

im not worried about the original diameter tube... thats no problem they make pipe that size all day long.

so on the original size one you just need to make sure that its just a tube no cutouts or anything like that and you are way under the 80% deal that most other sten tubes come as.

same thing on your reduced id version.

so heres the questions...

how much?

will you be attaching a template?

and of course: whats your wall thickness?

im always interested in stens (see my build thread here)
the ugly little tubegun is one of my favs. fill us in.

#7 ·
sten tube

dutigaf said:
ok several things for you:

im not worried about the original diameter tube... thats no problem they make pipe that size all day long.

so on the original size one you just need to make sure that its just a tube no cutouts or anything like that and you are way under the 80% deal that most other sten tubes come as.

same thing on your reduced id version.

so heres the questions...

how much?

will you be attaching a template?

and of course: whats your wall thickness?

im always interested in stens (see my build thread here)
the ugly little tubegun is one of my favs. fill us in.
The tubes are 16 gage low carbin the same as the original sten and yes a template
comes with it. They are $45.00 each or email me for volume buying. If you want a smaller ID all you have to do is spotweld a insert tube inside the receiver.

#8 ·
so your preferred method is spotwelding the tube?

or are you mig/tig the seam instead?

you did say ask a question or 2..

and we recently lost one of the best tube makers out there...................

#9 ·
sten tube

dutigaf said:
so your preferred method is spotwelding the tube?

or are you mig/tig the seam instead?

you did say ask a question or 2..

and we recently lost one of the best tube makers out there...................
If you look at your sten parts kit you will see that the origanl tube is spot welded. I well post new pics tomorrow of one that is spot welded and sight milled.

#10 ·
yeah i know the original ones are.....

but i dont have a spot welder, been thinking about one

ive always just used solid tubes and migged on the sight rail instead.

nice to know that you could possibly just set you barrel and trunnions and squeeze it together then spot it up though. may have to try one of these out on my next SAS3....

#12 ·
yeah its back in his first post...

you may wanna complete one of these as a dummy gun or semi and post it so everyone can see a "finished" product.

looks like a nice part.

#13 ·
Tiger917
The originals were stamped then rolled like yours, I might see a problem with chucking up the tube with the top rail in the way for the ejector and mag sides, I guess you would have to make a vee grove in the jig, have you had any problems before with the site rail being in the way?
I might be interested for a prop gun, I am working on new designs now

#15 ·
If you weld a reduced diameter tube inside this one the overall thickness is increased which in turn affects things like the charging handle and installation of the magazine housing/ejector. Sear would be affected as well as it would enter inside the tube at a different hieght.

I like the idea of having a tube with the correct rib along the top, but not the tube inside a tube aspect.

I've got one working semi Sten MkIII and have a couple other kits to do someday.

#22 ·
OK, I came up with a new tube in reduced ID with the sight . The same ID as the sas.
I wanted to post it here but I been having trouble uploading pics to gunco. But you can see them in parts kits on gunbroker. Sorry it took so long but the outcome was worth it. I think you sten builders will be happy with this tube. All the spot welding
is done on the new tubes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.