ahh if the '86 ban was repealed I'd be happier than a puppy with two willies...
Imagine how that would affect transferable machine gun values? That $17,000 MP5 would be worth $1500 overnight... But that would be the only downfall of such a repeal.
There are 9 supream court justices. 4 are liberal, 4 are conservative, and 1 is wishy-washy, can't make up his mind for any length of time. You can bet that the libs have done a full-court press on the 1 undecided to swing him over to the lib side since the heller decision came out. There won't be anymore pro-gun victories in the supream court for many years to come, especially now that obama is taking over. I won't be surprised if he decides to retire for health reasons sometime in 09.
The '86 ban should be overturned... voted on at night with out many in congress there. Personally, I am offended that the right to bear arms has been infringed upon. I am really tired of watching the anti-gunners overturn the values that this nation was founded on. The constitution never implied that "regulated" firearms shall be ok, nor did they state that some weapons were more acceptable than others.
Unless a concerted effort to do the following happens, this will never change:
1. The knowledge that keeping a seat in congress or the senate relies on having the "right" stance on gun ownership.
2. That there is OVERWHELMING support to remove previous restrictions on gun rights, and without that support elections will be lost.
3. Facts about how easy it is to obtain fully automatic firearms and how now only criminals have access to these weapons.
A second parallel effort needs to occur to demonstrate that:
1. Criminals don't care about gun control laws.
2. Criminals don't use fully automatic firearms or .50 cal BMG. Both are too expensive for the average criminal.
3. Gun control only serves to make people slaves to the criminal element.
4. That there is no right in the US (or elsewhere) to police protection.
It's pie in the eye thinking, but with enough critical mass it could be overturned. Not to mention that it's completely unconstitutional and flies in the face of our national values.