I got a little more work done on the build over the last few days. I got the ejection port cleaned up some with files. I left it on the smaller side so I can open it up as needed. I never did get the die grinder yet. Since my build is going to look mostly like a suomi I decided to go ahead and use the original type charging handle. Since I'm using a thick receiver I'll need to either make a new taller lug or add some metal to the old one to make it tall enought to retract the bolt. I rough cut a slot .325" wide starting 1.29" from the back and 5.56" in length. I centered the slot by using a piece of angle iron and using the notch for the feed ramp. The long 5.56" length cocking slot actually extends to the back of the fireing pin and serves as the opening for the hammer as well. I decided a while ago to get a remington hammer and sear set up from a 870 or 1100. The remington hammer is thin so I shouldn't have to widen the cocking/hammer slot any. Thats where I'm at now, I"ll get a picture of the updates on in the morning.
glad to see your back on the job. muttman
Here's the pictures of the suomi style cocking/hammer slot that I roughed in. Initially I just did the cocking slot, then thought about it and figured the remington hammer is pretty slim so it should work with the same width as the cocking slot, so I extended it to the back of the fireing pin. I found a spring around the garage that I'm using to help keep the bolt forward. I want to use the original recoil spring and I'll need to make an insert to retain the spring inside the bolt. I may end up using both springs for my recoil set up. In the second picture you can see the back of the fireing pin. I still need to clean up the slot a little and square off the ends. I still need to weld on the front and rear fillers, but I'm waiting until I have the fire control group done for that. Anyway that where I'm at so far.
Here's a picture of it mocked up. The structual zip tie is holding it together at this point. There's a picture of the remington 1100 trigger group. The hammer needs to be about where the zip tie is so in order to make it longer I'll have to make a longer trigger bar. I hope to be able to use the suomi trigger and safety.
LOL @ "structural zip tie"!!!!!
great job. teh part that amazes me most is the die grinder, dremel, and files in the photo. your doing this without machine tools!!?!?!!?!? (prob read that before in the thread, but it was a while ago)
I worked a little more on the build today. I made a template for the sideplates, but I'm going to wait to cut them out until I have the trigger goup done. I'm going to weld the front filler to the receiver since the barrel won't be removable. But I want to be able to test fire it before I make the barrel unremovable. I removed the mounting lugs for the front filler from the receiver and cleaned it up some. I'm debating if I want to notch the receiver for the lug or just cut off the center section and I'll end up with the two sections that I can tack weld on to hold the front filler until I'm ready to make it perminate. Heres a couple pictures of the receiver chunk before and after and a pic of the front filler and the receiver lug. I'm leaning towards cutting the center out of the lug and contouring the tops to the receiver. I plan on running a bead of weld down the sides of the front filler where it meets the receiver and barrel jacket since the barrel jacket is going to be welded on also.