Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: SGN-9

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

That should work great. I don't have a welding torch to braze so I soldered them. back on post 77 I think I showed all of the lenghtened bits I used. A couple of them have a step in them so the smaller shorter bits can reach deep enough inside the bolt.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Sorry for putting this in your thread but thought you'd be interested Moleman.

In the new SGN they are doing a SGN-22 build, yes 22lr, using a 10/22 barrel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Sorry for putting this in your thread but thought you'd be interested Moleman.

In the new SGN they are doing a SGN-22 build, yes 22lr, using a 10/22 barrel.
    I was just looking at it this morning while the kids were having breakfast and wondering if it would work with a 17hmr. I think the bolt design could easily be adapted to work with a standard ar upper with a 17hmr barrel and using the stock ar buffer and recoil spring. That would cut a lot of the work off of the build. The only draw back I see is magazines for that. The 10/22 magnum mags are too fat and the rem 597 17mhr/22mag magazines suck. I suppose the savage bolt action mags would work. With the price of sub gun kits getting higher perhaps we'll be forced to resort to making our own bolts. Most of my free time lately has been consumed by getting the milling machine set up. I hope to have a flury of suomi activity when I get it going and feel confident enough to use it on gun parts.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    With the price of sub gun kits getting higher perhaps we'll be forced to resort to making our own bolts.
    Making a bolt is hard even with the right tools...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    Making a bolt is hard even with the right tools...
    I don't think a 9mm semi type sub gun bolt would be hard to make. Especially a sten or ppsh43 type where its basically a round bar with a feed lip and an extractor drilled for an ar15 firing pin. I think the hardest part would be the extractor cut if you were going to use a premade extractor as other wise you could make your own specs on it. I suppose we'll have to look for the next instalment of the sgn-22 to see how Matthews pulls off making a 22lr bolt.

Feedback Score

Drilling the pivot hole for a AR extractor in the right place is pretty hard. Milling out the pocket for it is easy though, same with drilling it for an AR firing pin, if you have a lathe...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'd probably do the extractor cut pretty early in the bolt steps. I'd set the retainer pin hole back a few thousands so if I'm off I wouldn't screw it up. Then you could turn down the bolt face to match the extractor. I didn't find drilling out a suomi bolt for an ar15 firing pin to be too difficult. You do have to go slow and check your measurements often.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Back in the day there were several semiautomatic "sorta copies" of the Thompson SMG that were just tube based guns with various potmetal and wood grips added to resemble the outline of the Tommy. The bolt's were very simple, just a large diameter roundstock that fit the tube. The front section was turned down to a diameter barely larger than the casehead and a pocket for the case formed by plunging a centercutting endmill of the right diameter into the end of it. Extractor was a simple bent piece of springsteel that fit in a groove down the side of the small diameter section. One example used a screw to secure it, another used a two piece bolt and the extractor was captured by fitting inside the larger section, a pin held them together.

Even without a lathe, making such a bolt out of 2 different diameter round bars would be possible.

Feedback Score

I have not found the new SGN yet.
    I agree a bolt can be made by hand or on a lathe. lathe would be easer to do but by hand would give more controll. muttman

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    I was just looking at it this morning while the kids were having breakfast and wondering if it would work with a 17hmr. I think the bolt design could easily be adapted to work with a standard ar upper with a 17hmr barrel and using the stock ar buffer and recoil spring. That would cut a lot of the work off of the build. The only draw back I see is magazines for that. The 10/22 magnum mags are too fat and the rem 597 17mhr/22mag magazines suck. I suppose the savage bolt action mags would work. With the price of sub gun kits getting higher perhaps we'll be forced to resort to making our own bolts. Most of my free time lately has been consumed by getting the milling machine set up. I hope to have a flury of suomi activity when I get it going and feel confident enough to use it on gun parts.
    you must not have looked too closely then!!!

the sgn 22 is a single shot gun. the magazine in it is just for show.

kind of depressing, it would have been a nice project as a repeater.

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.