Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: SGN-9

Feedback Score

Thanks for the response, you answered all my questions! I am sure that in a matter of hours, I will have more but at least temporarily my craving for information about guns has been satisfied!

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Here's a simplified rear filler sized for the sgn-9 tube of 1-1/4". Its made from 1/8"x1-1/4" steel strap/bar, 3/8" inside wide/tall channel steel and a section of 1/2"x3/8" bar. There is a 0.102" thick magazine stop at the top of the mag lug slot to prevent the mag from being inserted too far up into the gun. It uses the same style of flapper mag catch as the suomi and a suomi one will fit. I'll get the mag catch drawing up in the next few days. The 3/8" inside steel channel is welded to the 1/8" top piece after the .295" mag slot is cut into it. You will need to use spacers to locate the mag catch in the center of the slot or make your mag catch wider than a suomi and narrow the top to fit inside the slot in the top piece as it will have a slight lip to it. The bottem 3/8" steel bar "fence" then can be soldered or welded to the 3/8" channel and contoured to allow some space between the "fence" and the mag catch. If you don't care about the fence, then you can simply leave it off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    I've even tried using a boring bar to bore out the diameter to 1.225" but my tool post flexes way too much with the bit 10" out.
    I had this problem for awhile, then I tried this for a similar build:

It works a lot better for boring longer things.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    I had this problem for awhile, then I tried this for a similar build:

It works a lot better for boring longer things.
    Thanks for the suggestion. There isn't much room to angle my boring bar. I thought about making a bracket that would attach the boring bar directly to the carrage, but I haven't had enough spare time to make it yet.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. There isn't much room to angle my boring bar. I thought about making a bracket that would attach the boring bar directly to the carrage, but I haven't had enough spare time to make it yet.
    You don't have to angle it all that much, just a couple degrees, it also helps with the deafening squeal that it used to make...

I was boring out a tube to about 1.5" ID, about 6"long, but that was just how long my boring bar was, bored out the other end to 1.52 or something for 2.5" for the barrel bushing.

Feedback Score

Thanks for the rear filler drawings! they have helped me understand the magwell area completely. Would you mind posting some pictures of the mag inside the reciever and in relation to the bolt?

Thanks for such a detailed build, it helps people like me comprehend every aspect of the weapon and its operation.

~The Fox

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    it also helps with the deafening squeal that it used to make...

Ill give it a try I need to make some barrel bushings for some pps43 that are in the works.

muttman

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

There is only one thing that I don't like about the SGN-9 build. A 55Rc bolt was annealed to butter soft. Butter soft I won't shoot. I do my Suomi bolt conversions by drawing down the hardness to 40/45Rc. It is more machinable and still very tough.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tommerr View Post
    There is only one thing that I don't like about the SGN-9 build. A 55Rc bolt was annealed to butter soft. Butter soft I won't shoot. I do my Suomi bolt conversions by drawing down the hardness to 40/45Rc. It is more machinable and still very tough.
    What specifically (heat and time) are you doing to get the hardness to 40/45?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have another sgn-9 bolt up for sale http://www.gunco.net/forums/f259/sgn-9-bolt-48293/

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Search tags for this page

building sgn 9

sgn 9 suomi drum

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.