Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30

Thread: SGN-9

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Too late!!!! maybe. I welded on a fixed 1/4" buttplate but I couldn't get a nice weld to save my life. I'll have to grind out a lot of the weld and try it again. There is actually an extra 4" that is all buffer and retainer space so I might just cut the stock off and make another one which would put it at the same length of pull as an A1. I think I'm just going to take the front sight off completely and just use the scope/red dot mount for sights as the original suomi sight is going to be about an inch and a half too low unless I change it. I had though about a ar type retractable stock until I laid out the path of the charging handle slot. Since the handle is at the back of the suomi bolt it makes the charging handle pretty far back as well. If I make another one I may look at putting the charging handle up closer to the front of the large diameter of the bolt or even add a collar to the back of the small diameter bolt section and run the holt handle above the firing pin channel. With those changes I could make a M4 type stock and make the receiver more compact by using a car type length spring and spring guide/buffer.
    Last edited by moleman; 09-23-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Feedback Score

ok,
    next one move the handel to TDC mount a AR type removable sight like the AR10.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Here's an update on my build. I had more pictures of the build but they were purged by the wife in the big xmas bonanza. I made a buffer system although I may put a delrin pad on the impact surface. I also milled out a 3/16" slot for the ejector in the barrel trunion before I welded it in. When I had the mag and ejection ports opened I took a 3/16" drill bit and drilled two holes the rest of the way through the receiver tube in the ejector slot. I placed one hole as far forward, and as far back as I could get the drill bit in the ejection port. Then I took a unhardened piece of 4130 steel "ejector" about 1/2"x3/16" that was as long as the ejector slot and pressed it into the ejector slot. I then marked on the ejector where the two holes were that I had drilled through the receiver in the ejector slot. I then milled away enough of the ejector to leave me with two square pins sticking up where the holes were in the receiver. I rounded off the corners of the pins to make them round and colored the back end of the ejector with a black sharpie. I then pressed the ejector into the receiver and ran the bolt back and forth a few times lightly to make an impression of the ejector slot in the bolt in the sharpie marking on the ejector. I then removed the ejector and removed everything that was no longer black with the mill. That left me with a perfectly centered ejector.
    If I were to make another receiver I wouldn't make the bolt slot nearly as long. I think it would end about 4-3/4" to 5" long total including the bolt handle removal hole. That would allow me to use the ar15 style stock Muttman! I need to make or get a length of rail to put on top for a scope mount and remove the front sight, as well as a few other little things before I get it parkerized and painted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Awesome build moleman.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks Joezx10r. I had a chance to go and shoot it a while ago. It feed fmj and cast rn bullets good, but it wouldn't feed hp ammo. Ejection was sporatic because some of the cases weren't hitting the ejector, so I put a shim under the ejector and it seems to have fixed the problem. I'll know for sure when I get another chance to shoot it. If it fixed the problem I'll hardened the ejector and rivet it in. Since its a straight line recoil the suomi sights won't work unless I raise them so I'm going with a scope mount. I had a marlin 336/444 base laying around so I milled a 5" piece of 3/4" bar stock and drilled and tapped it for the base and figured it had 6 holes in it so what the heck it can't hurt. I made a tight fitting transfer punch out of an old nail set to keep them all centered. I'm going to cut a few more cross slots into the marlin base before welding the metal base to the receiver.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Here it is welded on with a p.o.s. 3-9 scope mounted. If all goes well on the next test shoot I'll dress the welds, blast and parkerize it. Ugly isn't it?

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30

Search tags for this page

building sgn 9

sgn 9 suomi drum

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.