Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: SGN-9

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Call up Lee and they give you new decaping pins plus a few extra. One of mine broke on like round 45 and they sent me 3.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Call up Lee and they give you new decaping pins plus a few extra. One of mine broke on like round 45 and they sent me 3.
    I probably should, I break at least 1 a year it seems. I'm usually in the middlle of a run of 5-10k when it happens so I just want it fixed. Heres the tool I came up with about 12 years ago before I got my lathe. It seemed that the decapping pins would break right as they entered the decapping stem leaving you with nothing to grab onto to pull it out. I would just chuck it up in the drill and file the pin stem down to the broken decapping pin which is much harder, heat it up and remove it with a set of pliers. Put the decapping stem in the block of steel and drill the pin hole a little deeper. Then loctite an RCBS pin in its place and trim it to .4" long. The first picture shows the 1" block with the stepped hole in it that I made with the drill press. The second one shows it with a RCBS decapping pin and the Lee one inserted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I got a little more of the bolt done today. I still need to: square up and deepen the front of the slot for the hammer; fit a fireing pin return spring; and a fireing pin retaining screw. I made the slot by drilling some 13/32" holes and hacksawed/filed out the slot. It took about 2 hours. Heres a before and after.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

can i post?
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sure, Just keep in mind its not done yet. What I've done so far is based off of the SGN article with a few changes.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I was re-reading the SGN article and looking at the ar15 fire control parts, firing pin and recoil spring and I got to thinking about another possible direction for this build. The ar15 9mm bolts and barrels are expensive compaired to a 223 bolt and barrel. The Suomi bolt can be turned down small enough to fit in an AR15 upper. The difference in lenght of the two bolts from the back of the firing pin to the front of the bolt is only .030" The differences being in the lip that protrudes past the bolt face. One problem that I see is that .450" of the AR15 bolt goes into the barrel extension so to use the ar15 firing pin set up you would have to recess the 9mm barrel in the same fashion to get the correct angle of the hammer striking the firing pin. I suppose you could just make a barrel bushing modeled after the ar15 barrel shank with a built in feed ramp of sorts. The Suomi mags and drums won't fit an ar15 magwell. but a modified sten mag will. The bolt would have to be modifed for the ar15 firing pin like the SGN-9, and a key added like the ar15 bolt so you could use the charging handle; the barrel bushing made (and barrel extended); and the magizines modified. Perhaps less work than the SGN-9.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I got a little more work done on the bolt. The front of the hammer slot has been squared up and the 8-32 firing pin retaining screw installed. Heres a picture with the firing pin installed. I'm going to try and use an inertia firing pin as I set the hammer .050" off of the firing pin at its full forward fired position. About .065" of the firing pin head sits out of the bolt body in the unfired position for the hammer to hit. If it doesn't work I'll keep trimming the front of the hammer slot until I get good primer hits.

Feedback Score

Prexis is offering a ready made bolt with the firing pin installed for their Suomi semi only receiver.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anticus View Post
    Prexis is offering a ready made bolt with the firing pin installed for their Suomi semi only receiver.

The Prexis semi bolt counts a a US made part for $215, and they will also will modify your bolt for $120. The SGN-9 article said it took the guy about 8 hours total on just the bolt and I'm well on the way there. I'm going to try to make or modify all of the parts myself for this build. Today I got the feed lip squared to the bolt face and will try to get a picture of it up tomorrow some time.
    Last edited by moleman; 05-08-2008 at 08:54 AM.

Feedback Score

if sombody scans the SGN artical I would like to have a copy of it. all of the racks were empty in all of the stors that I know carry SGN.
    please and a big thankyou
    muttman

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

building sgn 9

sgn 9 suomi drum

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.