Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: SGN-9

Feedback Score

I MAY BE JUMPING AHEAD BUT I WAS LOOKING AT THE REAR OF THE BBL SHROUD AND THINKING THAT IF I CUT THE LOCKING LUGS OUT THE 1 1/4 4130 TUBING SHOULD FIT INSIDE NICELY, W/ A BBL BUSHING IN FRONT. I LIKE THE LOOKS OF THE SOUMI BBL SHROUD AND IT SHOULD SAVE SOME $.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The front of my receiver is cut right behind the lugs for the barrel shroud so I think it would be easier for me to just make another one. I was thinking about taking a section of solid round bar and making it sort of like the original Suomi receiver front from where it steps down for the bolt snout, all the way to the shroud lugs. I would make it small enough to slide inside the reduced diameter tube and weld it in place. It would be great practice for a real suomi build. Of course With all that work the prexis receiver might start looking real good.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I got a little more done on the bolt. The feed lip was trimed back so its flush with the bolt face. Heres a before and after. Except for turning the bolt down, making a slot to help cock the hammer, and heat treating its done. If you need a firing pin spring get a use the original suomi sear spring. It fits perfect over the firing pin and is plenty strong enough to prevent the firing pin from hitting the chambered round when the bolt closes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by moleman; 02-22-2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: safety

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I had a little more time to measure my receiver chunks and look at what would be a good alternative. I got (approximatly, they were dirty and I didn't clean them) receiver outside diameter 1.455", wall thickness .125", bolt diameter 1.215". At Wicks aircraft supply I found 1.5" steel tubing with a wall thickness of .188" and an inside diameter of 1.125". I plan on turning the tube down to the 1.455" outside diameter and the bolt to fit the inside diameter. The Suomi receiver is pretty thick, and this will end up just being a little thicker, but will look like the original.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OLD GRUMPS View Post
    I MAY BE JUMPING AHEAD BUT I WAS LOOKING AT THE REAR OF THE BBL SHROUD AND THINKING THAT IF I CUT THE LOCKING LUGS OUT THE 1 1/4 4130 TUBING SHOULD FIT INSIDE NICELY, W/ A BBL BUSHING IN FRONT. I LIKE THE LOOKS OF THE SOUMI BBL SHROUD AND IT SHOULD SAVE SOME $.
    Neat idea to just cut the lugs out of the barrel shroud and slide it over the 1 1/4" receiver tube. The first time I read it I thought you were going to take the front section of the old receiver and weld that in place to get the receiver lugs for the barrel shroud. If you don't want to mess with a take down feature then that might be the quick and easy way to go.

Feedback Score

YES,THATS WHAT I MEANT.GOING FORWARD WITHIT WHEN TUBING ARRIVES.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I've been looking over the second article on this build, specifically the magwell. Earlier I posted the deminsions of my Sten MKII kits magwell and thats the spec I'm going to build this magwell to.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I reworked the Suomi barrel shroud to work with the SGN-9 barrel bushing. I liked the idea OLD GRUMPS has about just removing the lugs inside the shroud and thats what I went with. I removed the lugs and the tab on the outside of the shroud. I haven't decided exactlly what kind of sights to use yet. The stock Suomi sights will be way to low to use with the inline stock/receiver setup and will have to be raised like the AR15 sights are. Heres a picture of the alterations to the shroud.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Has the second article been put out yet? I looked and it was not in the SGN I saw.
    If at first you don't succeed..Reload

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coketech View Post
    Has the second article been put out yet? I looked and it was not in the SGN I saw.
    Yep, I got mine yesterday not much in it. It does cover the barrel bushing, magwell, hammer and ejection port as well as the barrel shroud. Oddly enough he didn't cover the ejector or I'm not seeing it.

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

building sgn 9

sgn 9 suomi drum

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.