Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: SGN-9

Feedback Score

MOLEMAN,THATS WHAT MY SHROUD LOOKS LIKE. I ALSO CLEANED UP THE FRONT PORTIN OF THE REC. W/ THE LUGS ON IT TO USE AS BBL BUSHING. GONNA ATTACH IT PERM. TO BBL, AND SHROUD PERM TO BUSHING. THERE IS SO MANY DIRECTIONS ONE COULD TAKE THIS THING I MAY HAVE TO DO ANOTHER AND GO WITH A TOTALLY DIFF. LOOK. I HAVE A 45ACP BBL THAT NEEDS A HOME.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The lugged area on both of my receiver chunks were cut so that even if I cleaned them up about 1/4" on the bottem would be hanging out. I know what you mean about building another one. I still have a sten build and I am contemplating building another version of this one first. I don't like the idea of pinning the barrel to the barrel bushing. I think I will just thread the barrel to the bushing. To keep the barrel from spinning either weld the flange area of the barrel to the bushing, or mill out a key slot in the barrel bushing. I suspect though if I weld the shroud to the barrel bushing (leaving the stepped flange area of the barrel) that would hold the barrel tight enough so that no other means would be needed. Isn't a sten MKIII barrel held in a similar fashion with the front and rear barrel trunion?

Feedback Score

YES, STEN CAN ROTATE, BUT IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE TIMED(EXTRACTOR CUT) LIKE SOUMI. I WILL WELD BUSHING TO BBL AND DRILL HOLE IN SHROUD AND WELD THROUGH SHROUD TO LUG ON BUSHING. IT ONLY NEEDS ENOUGH TO KEEP IT INDEXED.THEN SLIP SHROUD OVER TUBING,WHICH WILL BUTT AGAINST BACK SIDE OF LUGS,THEN WELD SHROUD TO TUBING. I AM TERRIBLE AT EXPLAINING THINGS BUT I HOPE YOU CAN KINDA SEE WHERE THIS IS GOING.

Feedback Score

ONCE I RE-READ YOUR POST I REALIZED I BASICLY REPEATED WHAT YOU SAID. PLEASE EXCUSE ME, I AM TIRED!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OLD GRUMPS View Post
    ONCE I RE-READ YOUR POST I REALIZED I BASICLY REPEATED WHAT YOU SAID. PLEASE EXCUSE ME, I AM TIRED!
    Don't worry about it, I have a new screamapiller thats keeping us tired too. Did you get any more work done on yours? I was watching my UPS tracking # which said my steel would come today. It came, minus the tubing for the receiver that fell out of a hole in the box. I did a UPS damaged package form, but I'm not holding my breath that it'll show up. About all I can do until I get another receiver tube is the barrel extension.

Feedback Score

I guess I got lucky when they cut up my rec. The front part w/ lugs is totally usable as a trunnion/bushing. Everyone elses is cut through lugs/un-usable. I am behind on bolt mods.,I have drilled/cut/filed the slot but I need to find someone here w/lathe wiiling to turn it. So far people are scared to do it, they think they will get in trouble.Have not ordered metal yet but will soon.Thinking about seeing if I can save magwell so I can use drum mags. Mine came w/ a very neat bbl compensator and in my way of thinking if I make bbl,shroud,comp. one piece I should be able to weld extension onto comp. What do you think, would that be legal?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have only removed the magwell parts from one my kits but the back pieces are all toast, but it looks like I have 1 front piece that is almost untouched and one that is rebuildable with only a little work. I'm working on getting a new rear piece (filler I think its called) for a suomi build. For this build I also think I'm going with the suomi mags especially after seeing the 9mm tommy gun build. I'd wait to turn the bolt down till I had the receiver tube in hand so that you know exactally what size to have it turned down to especially if the receiver tube is a little off spec. I suppose your barrel extension idea would count. I took the front sight off of mine when I turned it in the lathe. It looks like the comp is pinned onto the barrel shroud. The pin that holds it in place has been peened over and dressed down. Its almost invisable. I think that joint would have to be welded like you said. I was just planning on drilling the comp with a 3/4" drill and sticking the lengthened barrel through it.

Feedback Score

Question

Yes,I see what you mean about the bbl extensin sticking through comp. No need for comp to actchually work being semi-auto. I have ran into a problem. I cannot get firing pin out. I've got ret. pin out but orig. firing pin wont budge. should I drive it from front or rear? Should I try to drill it out? PLEASE HELP, I'M STUCK!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I thought I'd try drilling out the port holes in the comp into the barrel extension. If I mess it up I'll just make another one and not drill the holes. The firing pin has to come out the front. theres a shoulder holding it in. Its in there pretty tight as you found out but not as tight as a rommy barrel pin. There's a nice cutaway of the bolt somewhere in the weaponeer threads on the suomi builds as well as a punch specially made for the job. I (this is going to make somone cringe) took a 1-1/4" top section of a broken drill bit that measured .107", a big nail with the tip ground off and a section of 3/8" rod. Dropped the drill rod in, then the nail and 3/8" rod. The 3/8" rod was sticking out enough that i could drive it in with a hammer. Nice solid hits and drove it out. Did you anneal the bolt?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You have to drive it out from the rear. Mine was really stuck and i had to give it a few hardy whacks before it began to move. If you've got the cross pin out it should come out.It's about 3/16 " in diameter so you will readily see when it starts to move. Warning I got a punch stuck twice trying to to remove mine. your punch needs a long slender nose so it doesnt catch on the sides. I've been following the thread. I started a suomi before the article by matthews came out, so I've been waiting to see how things develop generated by all the interest from the article. Sounds like you guys are on the right track. I couldnt figure out why the bolt had to be turned down in exterior dimension until I was directed to a BATF memo that said it was a necessity. Seems really dumb since the entire fireing arrangement is changed out to semiauto configuration. anyway luck on theFP removal. Chief4guns
    Last edited by tmyers4guns; 05-25-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: misspelled words

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.