Gunco Forums banner

SGN-9

33K views 295 replies 32 participants last post by  moleman 
#1 ·
Anyone else see the article in the april 20th SGN about the suomi based 9mm rifle? It looks pretty straight forward and the guy said he built it for about $175. I'm sure I have a complete spare set of AR15 fire control parts which would bring the price down as well as various other scrap that could be used. I think I'll order 2 suomi kits and give it a try.

#4 ·
It just came in the mail friday. Heres a picture of what I'm talking about. The author Matthews built the receiver out of 1.25"x.120 wall thickness steel 4140 tubing which is the only thing I'm having difficulty finding at the moment. It ended up looking more like a S&W 76 than a suomi, but I think it might be adapted to fit in the Soumi stock. He made it use cheap sten mags and ar15 fire control parts. The only specialized tools you need are a lathe and a welder which I have.

Attachments

#7 ·
It was most likely easier to use a full length tube set-up. One thing for sure, with the .120 inch thick tube (heavy) there should be absolutely no kick.

The thickness of the tube was probably not the determining reason for choosing the tube, but was choosen instead for the I.D. of the tube. Just a guess on my part, tho.

#8 ·
Thats what I thought as well looking at the picture, but he used thinner walled 1-1/4"x .062" tubing for the barrel shroud. I was planning on trying to use the suomi shroud and if not then going the same route as he did. Some things I was thinking about was to use a different recoil system on one if I was going to use the suomi stock, possibly putting a rail on the top so you could put ar15 sights or a red dot on it, and moving the bolt handle forward. It looks neat though.

#11 ·
I Just ordered 2 suomi kits from copes and am trying to resist the urge to go ahead and buy the steel until the kits arrive. I'm also waiting to see how he does the mag well in the future issues because he uses a steel 1"x2" tube. I measured my sten MKII kits magwell and it measures: .832" id, 1.045" od front; .955" id, 1.170" rear and 1.540" id, 2.010" od(with mag catch retainer in place) long with a wall thickness of around .110". I"m guessing he cuts and opens up the rear of the magwell to get it to fit the sten mags.

#13 ·
any place that caters to home brewed personal aircraft has quality products for sale.
Wicks is also the place listed in the article as where the builder got his supplies. I was going to also look locally to see if there was any alternative source for the receiver tube. I think so far I have or can make everything I need except the receiver tube and the kits that are on their way.

#17 ·
I got my 2 Suomi kits from Copes today. What a shame they looked like they had been rearsenaled, put into storage and taken out to be cut up. The metal (except for the receiver) is in excellent shape for both kits. The stocks are kinda rough sanded and both of them have cracks, but the cracks are clean and repairable I think. Anyone else get the article yet?

#18 ·
I finally received my SGN.

The build looks like a lot of sweat, skinned knuckles, and cuss words, but doable as stated if you are determined. It looks like the reason he makes the bolt so small in diameter is so he can use the AR FCG.

I think I will pass on that particular build for a while. I have others in mind that I would prefer bleeding and cussing over. :wink:

#19 ·
I don't think it'll be too bad, especially if you have a milling machine or the milling vice for your lathe. The sten builds use the ar fcg and the bolt is bigger in diameter than 1". I think he just used some smaller diameter tubing because it was easier for him for whatever reason. The weaponeer link posted in the "how hard is a suomi build" thread showed a wealth of info on converting the bolt. I'm still working my way through all 124 pages of it. So far I've seen that the fireing pin bushing might not need to be removed, but just anealed and the fireing pin hole drilled. Thats why I was waiting to get my kit to decide what size steel pipe to get. I'm kinda tempted to get a larger size but with a small enough inside diameter that the bolt will have to be turned down.

#21 ·
Just got a suomi kit from Cope's. I have to give them credit their stuff looks good and is packed well. The UPS man drove over my box I think. Everything was packed well and made the trip. Now I'm not sure if I want to build the SGN-9 or a Suomi. I still haven't been able to find a copy of the SGN, but the search continues. I don't have a subscription, does anyone have any suggestions? Walmart ususally carries it but not this issue yet.

#22 ·
I'm willing to bet the guy will sell a cd at the end of the build series like he did with the sten gun he did a few years ago. I think thats why he presents the build with a sort of vagueness about it. I'd also be willing to post pictures of my build as it progresses, and I bet others will also.

#25 ·
I work at a magazine circulation company and they came through there this week, yes I got one, and if the other companies are like the one I work at the lastest they should hit the news stands should be by Tuesday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.