Gunco Forums banner

9mm Thompson Clone

22K views 66 replies 26 participants last post by  Chiroone 
#1 ·
Had a few vac days left so I started a project that has been forming in my mind the last month or so. This project uses a Soumi barrel and a PPS43 bolt which I am modifing using pirates FP sleeve and an AR15 firing pin. Fire control group will also be AR15. Here it is mocked up. It will use Suomi drums or stick mags.

The receiver uses a round tube mounted inside a square tube. The magwell is on of Roger's 2xtm magwells. (My last one.) We need to support Roger in this venture and commit to some more magwells where he will do another run.

This photo shows the relationship of the magwell feed ramp to the barrel. It feeds both drums and mags flawlessly.

The barrel is a 12" Soumi that I turned the end down and made an extension for. The extension was Mig welded to the barrel and turned to final dimension on the lathe. Compensater was turned on the lathe and pressed on the barrel extension. It will be ported at a later date. The front trunnion was turned on the lathe and welded to the barrel.

I will continue to post pics as I get this one finished. All comments welcomed. ( I really need to get back on the MG47 beltfed.)

See less See more
#34 ·
I need to get out on this forum more

Dvann...
Wow!!!!
Nice work!
Please send me pic's when completed. I would love to post them on our site. It is really cool how builders are using my mag wells to make some really creative and beautifully unique builds. Let me know where I can help.

Rodger Lichtenberg
lichtenbergresearch.com

#40 ·
you have my respect very nice & bright ideas. I would like to see more belt fed bastards come full circle. We could learn from those kyber pass boys & old men missing a leg with time on there hands. Things are going to get right bad in this place they used to call the usa now all we are is a large state of tex mex dont know where we are going people

#44 ·
How in the heck did I miss this thread back then? This is awesome!!!! I love the round tube in a square tube idea. Too cool. Dscholl or Coils, if either of you builds one, please document.

#47 ·
Hi bellson, I haven't had any issues with the kahr thompson. The fit between the stock hardware and lower were very tight when I first got the gun, but it has since loosened up so that it isn't difficult to remove, but is still snug. I currently have a 1928 type stock on it and the machining on that hardware is much more rough, but that was made back before cnc and probably in a hurry. a couple years back I also started having trouble focusing (heck flat out seeing) the folded rear sight. I was able to use the peep sight just fine, but it still bugged me. After thinking about it for a while I bought an original lyman sight for it which has the fold down rear sight located farther out from the pivot point on the ladder. That allowed me to once again focus good enough to tell where the rear notch was to maintain a good sight picture. The lyman sight is also windage adjustable where the kahr sight is fixed. My inability to see the sight wasn't the guns fault though, just old age sneaking up on me. The only bad thing I can say about it was the factory mag that came with the gun. It is an original seymour mag that was ground on in an attempt to remove the name and pitting (they failed at both) then bead blasted and reblued. The mag catch hole looks like a kid with a die grider had his way with it to mod it to the semi pattern. I would not buy stick mags from them as like new mags are available for less than they want. I am thinking about getting one of the green mountain 14.5" barrels as the 16.5" barrel and comp brings the length up to 18.5" which looks odd. Thats pretty much it, I can't remember any jams, and it is a bullet eating machine with the 30rnd stick mags. I still can't bring myself to buy a $ drum for it, but I should before they're outlawed again.

Here's a pic of the lyman rear sight. The kahr rear folded sight has the rear blade in the pivot pin area. You can also see the difference in machining by looking at the rear stock hardware (Savage IIRC) that I replaced the kahr with, and the recivers finish. They seem better finished than the originals.

Attachments

#48 ·
Re-Document the build

Hi secondamerican,
I asked for all the parts to builds that tommy clone, What I will do is post, step by step or maybe a video showing how I did it...Doc
PS Ive already got all the Drums 4 to be exact and 8 mags. thats hafl the battle right there. Plus Im still working on a suomi and a few other projects,, I actually work on one for a bit, and then move to the next one, and so forth,,besides I have to spend equal time with them, whehn I build thme lest jelously that way LMAO,,,,Doc

#49 ·
Re Thompson Clone

Hello dvanncvann,
I have a couple of questions, how long is the sq tubed
part of the receiver, and what and how did you do the mag well, and how did you cap the rear end of the sq tube, I was making some notes on this build and got caught by the household warden LMAO, and she said well thats a nice looking gun what is it she asked? And I tried to ignor her that was a mistake LOL, Finally I told her it was a tommy clone, "She asked you mean as
in the thompson I wanted ? I said yes kinda sort of which is my usual answer to her when Im trying to concentrate on something, and focus but not totally ignor her which is a bad mistake! well after all the screetching and whooping and snoopy dancing around hollering and her saying Im going to geta thompson like a little kid, I had to rub it in and said who said anything about you getting a thompson, let alone me building you one. And I was advised with the finger wagging and all, there had better be a thompson under that tree come christmas time! you got nine months get busy! I tried the old you know how many projects I have now, She made me a deal,,You get busy, and I'll do all the outside choirs including the mowing!! well how can I resist that. I wanted to see how far I could push the issue, so Iasked What do Iget out of the deal? She replied I know what you want and if your smart you will do this for me and then add it to the gun trust we have set up I said of course, And then she coyly said I know what you want fro christmas. and if your good you will get everything you want even If I have remortage the house.. So you can see the spot I now find myself in, I also told her since you want to snoop so much the State patrol are hiring want me to get an application for you , laughing she said no watching you is a 4o hrs a week plus job and besides she said go get a crowbar I said fior what? To open your wallet with I need that emergency 200 dollars you keep in the back of your wallet for gun emergencies ( For when gun Come up for sale cheap) she then proceeded to take my whole wallet, and said im going shopping, the credit card is on the table happy parts hunting! so I am now in a pickle , I tried to do something nice and I get caught for it, But will I get what I want for xmas is the hundred thousand dollars question, and I might as well share I want a Semi_Auto B.A.R. So as YOu can see I just need some help with all the measurements etc and the basic parts list.. thanks in advance..Doc

#50 ·
I'll try to help from some of the info already posted.
-Can't help with the length of the tubing.
-The mag well was a sheet metal design by a guy, I don't think he's making them anymore though. You could hunt down a Suomi mag well if you want to use those mags.
Here's the link to that sheet metal mag well, but most of the links on there are dead.
Lichtenberg Research and Design - Ordering Info
-Cap on the end. Looks like he used a piece of square tubing that fits inside the other and welded a flat piece of metal to it to make a cap, then he used a bolt (or long screw) to hold it in place.

#51 ·
Wow! You guys really brought this one back from the dead. This was a one of a kind project and I will have to dig around in the old memory banks to remember the details. I still have the weapon by the way and it is on display at the gun store where I do my gunsmith repair. I will try to provide what info I can to you guys. Just ask.

#52 ·
Re: Back from the Dead

Hi dvanncvann,
Its not that that its been brought back from the dead, Think of it as an orgional war horse, comming out of retirement! I didnt think I would every want to see OD Green again after being in th military for so long;

However you have made the OD Green take on a whole new life and meaning of its own, other than plane english I have no other way to put it.
SIR You Have One Bad Ass Looking Thompson. its gunsmiths and engeneers
like yourself that these big firearms companiesshould be hiring instead of these lil computer geeks, Dont get me wrong they have thier place as well in this industry, But when one creates such a firearm that still creates such a stir after all this time, Is quite an acomplishment I am glad I found your Build, and what goes into it thus far, I cant wait to get all the parts and get started , but the only thing is , this gun is like a lays potato chip you just cant have just one! I have ordered enough parts to make two and extra parts in case i screw up ( the old eyes are not what they used to be!) And I cant wait until you see your next build finished and posted, and once again thank you for sharring this build and the what you did and so-forth. And I have only one complaint that most of us will agree with ,, why the hell cant UPS deliver on a Sunday!! lol,,,well off to get some chores done, and then back to the drawing board in the shop..Doc

#53 ·
Well when you build something that nice, and out of the box, it's going to keep coming back up :D

I think the main thing that was left out of the info already posted is, what's the rough length of the square tube?
And does the round tube inside go the entire length of the square one?

#55 ·
It gave me all kinds of crazy ideas.

#56 ·
Just a thought I was wondering if there was a way that this could be made into a belt fed weapon, by eliminating the mag well and make it like a traditonal belt fed gun although it maybe smaller, but then there would have to have an allowence made for the top cover to open, mabybe a good idea maybe a bad one , but one never knows untikl one tries,,anythought?,,,,Doc

#58 ·
Some other stuff I have been working on

7.62x39 bolt gun with integral suppressor.

Ruger m77 in 458 Socom

MP5ish ak in 7.62x25 ( this one is alot of fun)

Gas operated 45acp AR15. (the one on the bottom) My favorite AR!
The one above it is a 338 spectre with a form1 can.

#59 ·
OK there Dvanncvann, I'd love to see a separate thread on the 7.62x25 build. I know it's been pretty popular the last few years, and I built both a blowback as well as a gas op myself. Your forward charging handle intrigues me!!! Is it reciprocating?

#60 ·
Dvanncvann.
Those are some great looking firearms you made there! at this rate
Im gonna have to install a windshield wiper on my monitor, and invest in a Lobster bib!
you did a great job on your guns, the MP5ish (lol) as you call it took me by surprise
I would have never thought of that one especially on a AK receiver! As far the tommy beltfed it was a thought, I have a M-53 kit i still dont know if I want it the way it was ment to be but in semi-auto, or if I could do something entirely diffrent, where as I wouldnt have to remortage my house for parts lol the only really crazy idea I had and making it work would be another story, but have any of you guys seen the wide body double barreled .45 govt,, well I had the thougt of two thompsons on a wide frame single trigger and for the ejection ports have one on the right and one on the left the receiver would have to be heavy duty thats for sure. Our creativity is only limited by our minds......Doc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.