Gunco Forums banner

9mm Thompson Clone

22K views 66 replies 26 participants last post by  Chiroone 
#1 ·
Had a few vac days left so I started a project that has been forming in my mind the last month or so. This project uses a Soumi barrel and a PPS43 bolt which I am modifing using pirates FP sleeve and an AR15 firing pin. Fire control group will also be AR15. Here it is mocked up. It will use Suomi drums or stick mags.

The receiver uses a round tube mounted inside a square tube. The magwell is on of Roger's 2xtm magwells. (My last one.) We need to support Roger in this venture and commit to some more magwells where he will do another run.

This photo shows the relationship of the magwell feed ramp to the barrel. It feeds both drums and mags flawlessly.

The barrel is a 12" Soumi that I turned the end down and made an extension for. The extension was Mig welded to the barrel and turned to final dimension on the lathe. Compensater was turned on the lathe and pressed on the barrel extension. It will be ported at a later date. The front trunnion was turned on the lathe and welded to the barrel.

I will continue to post pics as I get this one finished. All comments welcomed. ( I really need to get back on the MG47 beltfed.)

See less See more
#63 ·
dvanncvann any more pictures and updates on the round and square tubing as far as dimensions as well as the FCG box?

Did you ever work anymore on your project of the 7.62X39 Bren? I remember that you were going to mount an AK receiver upside down on a Bren lower but can't remember if you were mounting the AK receiver inside the Bren receiver or if there's even enough room to do that. I look forward to hearing more about both projects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.