Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Thompson Clone

Feedback Score

just a bump

Feedback Score

That is one nice looking Tommy clone are all the specs on here by any chance? I think I have found a new project!! for my other half for christmas!! she gets what looks like a tommy gun and I get what ever I want sounds fare doesn't it guys?....Doc

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

are all the specs on here by any chance?
    Read through the whole thing, I know I asked a few questions and got answers. I'll look through it again later.

she gets what looks like a tommy gun and I get what ever I want, sounds fare doesn't it guys?....
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

How in the heck did I miss this thread back then? This is awesome!!!! I love the round tube in a square tube idea. Too cool. Dscholl or Coils, if either of you builds one, please document.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

hell yea this is a fantastic concept and a beautiful finished build--

i want one of these in .40 short and week--LOL!

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    That look great, I had been thinking about doing a thompson build for a while but pretty much lost interest in it last year when I bought a detachable stock Kahr version. This has got me thinking again about a .22 version.

Hi Moleman,

Would you share your thoughts on Kahr Arms? Looking for your impression of quality, reliability, fit, finish, etc. Would you buy from them again? I am interested in their M1 Carbine, but I keep looking at the Thompson with a longing in my heart!
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Hi bellson, I haven't had any issues with the kahr thompson. The fit between the stock hardware and lower were very tight when I first got the gun, but it has since loosened up so that it isn't difficult to remove, but is still snug. I currently have a 1928 type stock on it and the machining on that hardware is much more rough, but that was made back before cnc and probably in a hurry. a couple years back I also started having trouble focusing (heck flat out seeing) the folded rear sight. I was able to use the peep sight just fine, but it still bugged me. After thinking about it for a while I bought an original lyman sight for it which has the fold down rear sight located farther out from the pivot point on the ladder. That allowed me to once again focus good enough to tell where the rear notch was to maintain a good sight picture. The lyman sight is also windage adjustable where the kahr sight is fixed. My inability to see the sight wasn't the guns fault though, just old age sneaking up on me. The only bad thing I can say about it was the factory mag that came with the gun. It is an original seymour mag that was ground on in an attempt to remove the name and pitting (they failed at both) then bead blasted and reblued. The mag catch hole looks like a kid with a die grider had his way with it to mod it to the semi pattern. I would not buy stick mags from them as like new mags are available for less than they want. I am thinking about getting one of the green mountain 14.5" barrels as the 16.5" barrel and comp brings the length up to 18.5" which looks odd. Thats pretty much it, I can't remember any jams, and it is a bullet eating machine with the 30rnd stick mags. I still can't bring myself to buy a $ drum for it, but I should before they're outlawed again.

Here's a pic of the lyman rear sight. The kahr rear folded sight has the rear blade in the pivot pin area. You can also see the difference in machining by looking at the rear stock hardware (Savage IIRC) that I replaced the kahr with, and the recivers finish. They seem better finished than the originals.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Default Re-Document the build

Hi secondamerican,
    I asked for all the parts to builds that tommy clone, What I will do is post, step by step or maybe a video showing how I did it...Doc
    PS Ive already got all the Drums 4 to be exact and 8 mags. thats hafl the battle right there. Plus Im still working on a suomi and a few other projects,, I actually work on one for a bit, and then move to the next one, and so forth,,besides I have to spend equal time with them, whehn I build thme lest jelously that way LMAO,,,,Doc

Feedback Score

Default Re Thompson Clone

Quote Originally Posted by dvanncvann View Post
    Had a few vac days left so I started a project that has been forming in my mind the last month or so. This project uses a Soumi barrel and a PPS43 bolt which I am modifing using pirates FP sleeve and an AR15 firing pin. Fire control group will also be AR15. Here it is mocked up. It will use Suomi drums or stick mags.

The receiver uses a round tube mounted inside a square tube. The magwell is on of Roger's 2xtm magwells. (My last one.) We need to support Roger in this venture and commit to some more magwells where he will do another run.

This photo shows the relationship of the magwell feed ramp to the barrel. It feeds both drums and mags flawlessly.

The barrel is a 12" Soumi that I turned the end down and made an extension for. The extension was Mig welded to the barrel and turned to final dimension on the lathe. Compensater was turned on the lathe and pressed on the barrel extension. It will be ported at a later date. The front trunnion was turned on the lathe and welded to the barrel.

I will continue to post pics as I get this one finished. All comments welcomed. ( I really need to get back on the MG47 beltfed.)
    Hello dvanncvann,
    I have a couple of questions, how long is the sq tubed
    part of the receiver, and what and how did you do the mag well, and how did you cap the rear end of the sq tube, I was making some notes on this build and got caught by the household warden LMAO, and she said well thats a nice looking gun what is it she asked? And I tried to ignor her that was a mistake LOL, Finally I told her it was a tommy clone, "She asked you mean as
    in the thompson I wanted ? I said yes kinda sort of which is my usual answer to her when Im trying to concentrate on something, and focus but not totally ignor her which is a bad mistake! well after all the screetching and whooping and snoopy dancing around hollering and her saying Im going to geta thompson like a little kid, I had to rub it in and said who said anything about you getting a thompson, let alone me building you one. And I was advised with the finger wagging and all, there had better be a thompson under that tree come christmas time! you got nine months get busy! I tried the old you know how many projects I have now, She made me a deal,,You get busy, and I'll do all the outside choirs including the mowing!! well how can I resist that. I wanted to see how far I could push the issue, so Iasked What do Iget out of the deal? She replied I know what you want and if your smart you will do this for me and then add it to the gun trust we have set up I said of course, And then she coyly said I know what you want fro christmas. and if your good you will get everything you want even If I have remortage the house.. So you can see the spot I now find myself in, I also told her since you want to snoop so much the State patrol are hiring want me to get an application for you , laughing she said no watching you is a 4o hrs a week plus job and besides she said go get a crowbar I said fior what? To open your wallet with I need that emergency 200 dollars you keep in the back of your wallet for gun emergencies ( For when gun Come up for sale cheap) she then proceeded to take my whole wallet, and said im going shopping, the credit card is on the table happy parts hunting! so I am now in a pickle , I tried to do something nice and I get caught for it, But will I get what I want for xmas is the hundred thousand dollars question, and I might as well share I want a Semi_Auto B.A.R. So as YOu can see I just need some help with all the measurements etc and the basic parts list.. thanks in advance..Doc

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I'll try to help from some of the info already posted.
    -Can't help with the length of the tubing.
    -The mag well was a sheet metal design by a guy, I don't think he's making them anymore though. You could hunt down a Suomi mag well if you want to use those mags.
    Here's the link to that sheet metal mag well, but most of the links on there are dead.
    Lichtenberg Research and Design - Ordering Info
    -Cap on the end. Looks like he used a piece of square tubing that fits inside the other and welded a flat piece of metal to it to make a cap, then he used a bolt (or long screw) to hold it in place.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.